Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

hello all, down 1 this week. I'm like others , I gain and loose in the same week. tomorrow I go in for a fill. I really need it. I know that this is just a tool but I need the tool to work. I have grades due tomorrow so I need to continue with the recording.... Have a good week.

A little late yet again... I'm in a MCSE training class and it's hurting my brain!

Here are this week's numbers...

TamifromAL – 213/-5/-2/0/-5/-2/-1/-2/-3

BJean – 181/0/0/-1/-1/0/0/-1/-1

Gonnabethin – 190/0/0/-1/-2/-1.5/0/0/0

MimIN – 199/-2/-2/0/-4/-2/-5/0/0

Sandranoelle – 275/-4/+2/0/-6/-3/+4/-3/-1

Kareyquilts – 203/-4/-2/-3/0/0/-2/-1/-1

TrueBlueSue - 174.5/0/0/0/-1.5/-1/-2

LindaN – 218/-1/-3/-1/0/-3/0/-3/0

Lauriegee – 215/-2/-6/0/+2/-3

Mom of Many – 209/-1/0/0

Mariecarmen – 198/-8/0/-2/-1/-2/0/+4

Lisalee – 203/+2/-4/-2/-1/-3/-1/+1/-2

Harlito – 371/-1.5/-3

April – 241/-5/0/0

Finallyonmyway – 200/-9

Katt – 282/-2

Tami: you say you love the spinning class....does it burn any muscles besides the quads? I would love to try it but hate riding stationary bikes.

BJean: I have heard of people finding new addictions when one doesn't work anymore.....I'm thinking Carnie Wilson...who had a gastric bypass then struggled with a new one...alcohol. Guess I'll have to find a Chocohalics Anonymous meeting somewhere!

MimIn: What is MCSE? BTW thanks for keeping up with the challenge numbers!

I'm hoping to drop a few pounds this week....I've become an exercise junkie. I conquered a 3mile run in 36 minutes today.....a first personal best. I cannot believe I am doing this. I now have the dogs on exercise programs too....I walk one each day for a slow but enjoyable 2 miles.

I guess there are worse things to become obsessed with. I am truly a blessed woman. If I don't lose anymore weight, ever, I will be happy still.

Hope you are all as satisfied as I am.

lisalee: Oh the Carrie Wilson comment is scary. When I was at a cool grocery market today I bought four chocolate Cookies. I had gobbled 3 of them down within 15 minutes of returning home. It was bizzare and I am feeling fat and haven't been feeling fat and uncomfortable in quite a while. I suppose chocolaholics anonymous is a reasonable suggestion for me too.

I'm incredibly impressed with your 36 minute run of 3 miles today!!! That must feel fabulous! I am really jealous. Take care of your knees. Be sure you have very sturdy shoes. I know I sound like an old nag, but I hope you'll never know what it feels like to not be able to run! It well and truly sucks.

Congratulations on a great job, very well done! Keep it up.

MimIn: What is MCSE? BTW thanks for keeping up with the challenge numbers!

I'm hoping to drop a few pounds this week....I've become an exercise junkie. I conquered a 3mile run in 36 minutes today.....a first personal best. I cannot believe I am doing this. I now have the dogs on exercise programs too....I walk one each day for a slow but enjoyable 2 miles.

I guess there are worse things to become obsessed with. I am truly a blessed woman. If I don't lose anymore weight, ever, I will be happy still.

Hope you are all as satisfied as I am.

MCSE is Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer - it is an I.T industry standard certification that I have to get to prove I know how to do my job. 7 tests, FUN FUN FUN.

I am VERY impressed, 3 miles in 36 minutes! You'll be marathon running before you know it! :wow2:

Thanks to you September Bandsters and especially Lisalee, since I posted last week I have lost 6 POUNDS!! I got back on the bandwagon after being inspired by your post. I am sort of scared to get another fill though. (the six pounds was some that i had gained back, not extra) but I am still happy and very thankful.

Could I weigh in on Monday and start reporting it here??

Thanks again.

Tami: you say you love the spinning class....does it burn any muscles besides the quads? I would love to try it but hate riding stationary bikes.

Lisa, if you're doing it properly (with the help of a good spinning instructor), you should use all your lower body muscles, which of course are the body's largest muscles, and the ones that are gonna burn the most calories. The secret is to use a full circle motion with the peddle. Most people tend to let the leg that's pushing down do all the work, lifting the opposing foot. But, if you consciously move both legs in the full circle motion, you work the glutes, hamstrings, and calves as well as the quads.

BJean, I have a bad knee, too, and have found that biking to be less problematic than most other forms of aerobic exercise, because it's low-impact. I've also started taking liquid Glucosamine/Chondroitin, and have seen some improvement. Really the only time it bothers me is walking down stairs, which I have to do stiff-legged with the bad leg. I even take the elevator down one flight of stairs at the gym. I always feel a little funny doing that. Here I just took an intense exercise class, and then grab an elevator instead of taking the stairs!

Spinning is a great exercise. If you wear a heart rate monitor (which you really should do), and stay in your own cardio zone, you get a great, low-impact workout. I pictured drill sargeant types screaming at me to go faster, but the opposite is actually the case. They tell you not to push it out of your cardio heart rate zone for the first couple of months as you build your aeobic base. The one downside is the tiny seat (they call it a saddle). The first class or two, it just plain hurt. But, my behind got used to it, and now I don't even notice it.

I'm not trying to push spinning or anything, I just found something that I really like. Everyone has to find their own exercise niche, and switch things up now and then. But, if anyone's interested in learning more about spinning, check out this site:

http://www.spinning.com/

Tami

Thanks to you September Bandsters and especially Lisalee, since I posted last week I have lost 6 POUNDS!! I got back on the bandwagon after being inspired by your post. I am sort of scared to get another fill though. (the six pounds was some that i had gained back, not extra) but I am still happy and very thankful.

Could I weigh in on Monday and start reporting it here??

Thanks again.

That's awesome, tommygirl! That's the best thing about the band, it's always there for you. When you're ready to do your part, it does it's part, and together you can make real progress! And of course you can post your weight here. I love accountability. I used to splurge over the weekends, but since we've been posting our weights on Mondays, it actually helps keep me in line.

Tami

I think I will try a spinning class when I get back from my trip. I'm going to Sun Valley, Idaho (ski resort) with my DH for a veterinary orthopedic conference. I'll be gone a week. Plan on exercising everyday and relaxing a lot! Can't tell any difference with my fill yet. Just started back on real food today. This dieting is routine and yet everyday is a daily decision to stay on the program and try and be positive. I'm trying, but sometimes my trier gets tired.

BJean: I do worry about my knee....and force myself to take rest days when appropriate. Good advice, I hear ya and I appreciate it!

Tommygirl: Way to go! Sometimes it just takes a period of refocusing and being realistic with ourselves. Keep up the good work and don't be discouraged if you don't lose 6 pounds next week. You are headed in the right direction.

Tami: I have a new perspective on spinning. Thanks! I may have to join a gym that offers it for a little variety now and then.

MimIn: I think now I have heard of the MCSE exams.....it's quite a challenge? Kudos to you! I hear they are quite a bear!

Marathon runner? Naaahhhhh. That would take the joy out of it!

I was struck by some sort of a virus this weekend that actually knocked me down in bed for the last 48 hours. It is the first time I have ever experienced throwing up with the band....and believe me I tried not to. I took Phenergan for nausea but it did no good. Yesterday I didn't even eat or drink (that was the worst part.)

Fortunately, I am up again today and taking in those precious fluids. Soft eggs were hard to get down so I resorted to oatmeal. The band doesn't feel any worse for the wear but things are not sliding down as easily. Guess I'll stick to liquids and mushies for a while.

Hoping tomorrow's weight will reflect true weightloss and not just Water weight. Not up for exercise yet.

When is St. Paddys' Day? has anyone considered when our new challenge will be?

Tommygirl....yes! Jump back in and report here! I don't know what I'd do without this group!

Now I'll sit on my hands and quit posting for a while :myscared:

Tami: The spinning class sounds great. Keeping in the proper zone for your heartrate will ensure that you lose weight too instead of burning ready sugar.

My orthopedist said that stairs are our enemy. Both going up and coming down. He actually said I should probably sell my 2-story house! Both of my knees are so bad from injury and arthritis, I will someday have to have them replaced. They want me to hold off as long as I can because artificial knees are supposedly good for only 18 to 20 years. You don't want to go through it more than once.

Anyway, much as I'd like to, I can't do any kind of aerobic exercise that involves my knees except Water aerobics. The class I'm in does not actually provide much aerobic activity at all. We are in warm water and do very simple leg and arm movements against the water. After running, exercise classes and racquetball for so many years, it doesn't feel like I'm doing anything. But guess what! My knees are really thanking me. I'm moving around faster than I have in a couple of years. Being able to do that is so much better than sitting on my butt like I had been.

I encourage everyone to do as much exercise as you can and find something that is fun for you, like Tami has with spinning. You never know when you might have a body part that goofs up on you and you won't be able to exercise! It's awful when you don't have that choice.

I hate to weigh in tomorrow. When I first got this fill I did very well. The past couple of days I haven't done well at all again. I am so exasperated. I just can't imagine that I'm going to have to have another fill so soon! And I really can't believe that St. Paddy's day is so near!!!

Hi ya'll,

Today's my six month bandiversary! I'm down 82 lbs. in 6 months, and life is so much richer than it was pre-band. I have so much more energy. I used to dread going to Walmart, and if I missed something in the non-food section after I'd moved on to the groceries, I'd skip it until the next time. Even so, I was exhausted when I got home, and my feet ached all the time. Now, the only punishment I get from shopping is my aching Am Ex! I've chalked up many, many "non-scale victories" in the past six months:

** I'm off of 3 prescription meds

** My plantar fasciitis is essentially gone

** I'm down from a size 26 in pants to a size 16

** I see and *reach* every area of my body. I kid you not, I can even scratch between my shoulder blades!

** I used to be addicted to TV, and now I'm addicted to exercise.

** I was concerned about the amount of alcohol I used to drink pre-band, and I now am a relatively normal "social" drinker (2-3 drinks once a week or so).

** I can cross my legs.

** I can tie my shoes standing, with feet flat on the floor.

There are probably many more that I can't think of right now. But, basically I'm in love with the band, and love life!!

This week, I'm down two pounds, and exercised 5 days.

Gotta run...spin class in 25"!

Tami