Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Running Out Of Steam During Exercise - What Is The Reason?

I joined the YMCA back in February and have been going regularly. I also walk, including my very hilly neighborhood. Most recently, i have been training my pony and have been doing alot of walking with him, he walks fast and we are doing alot of hillwork. As I get fitter, i keep upping the intensity at the gym, and felt like I was progressing well.

So, most weeks I do:

high intensity Water aerobics 2x

elliptical cardio for 30-45 minutes, 2x

strength train 2x

plus walking and stuff around my property - sometimes high intensity. Sunday i was out for 3 hours, walking hills and fast pace (for me anyway).

Okay, over the last two weeks, I have noticed just feeling like it is harder and harder to "push" myself into higher intensity. At first, i thought maybe I was overtraining/going to fast with the progression so I cut back a bit. Then I thought, maybe I am eating too low carb, so I started tracking carbs again and no, that is about right. Protein is really good. The only thing I can think of is mild dehydration. i feel like I drink alot of water and noncaf fluids, but I am sweating more. One of the water aerobics instructors suggested I keep water by the pool since I am really working it hard, I am sweating I just can't tell due to the pool. anyway, I am really pushing the fluids, but I still feel... just like I don't have the energy to keep the intensity going. I have cut back a little, but wondering what else to try/think of?

I hope this is just a temporary setback because i only have so many hours a week to dedicate to exercise so I want to incrase intensity as I get fitter.

Have you had yor blood levels checked lately? maybe your B12 is low? Our your thyroid?

Blood work was done about 6 weeks ago and everything was perfect. Wonder if it could change that fast?

When you say your carbs and Protein are fine, what does that mean? Someone who works out needs higher amounts of both. How many calories are you getting in? I talk about this a bit on my blog. I work out alot and get about 120 carbs and 140 protein. On days before a race, my carbs are up towards 200. You needs a lot of carbs for energy if you are working out a lot.

Fluids. Dehydration will drag you down so fast you won't know what hit you. I'm just back from my 3rd trip to the infusion clinic for IV fluids. I know first hand how rotten you feel and what an absolute lack of energy you have when dehydrated. Once your fluids are low it takes days and days to build them back up by just drinking more. Call your doc and he will arrange fluids for you if that's what you need. It sure sounds like it. Good luck and, BTW, I envy your exercise regime!

Well, I got tired just reading about all that you do. I think you are doing great. B12 is for energy, and you may not be consuming or taking enough of it. My doctor's office recommends a shot once a month or weekly sublingual high dosage tablets.

Listen to PdxMan, he knows what he's talking about. Also, you'll find that as you need to change up your workout routine also just like you need to change up your food intake. Make sure you give your body time to rest 1-2 days per week. Some days need to be high intensity and other days need to be endurance.

When you say your carbs and Protein are fine, what does that mean? Someone who works out needs higher amounts of both. How many calories are you getting in? I talk about this a bit on my blog. I work out alot and get about 120 carbs and 140 Protein. On days before a race, my carbs are up towards 200. You needs a lot of carbs for energy if you are working out a lot.

PDXMAN is 100% correct. You must have the carbs and protein for energy. You need to make sure you stay hydrated as well. I eat a slice of whole grain wheat bread with Peanut Butter before my workouts with a Protein shake. I also have a Protein Shake after my workouts. Try different things and see what works best for you but the carbs WILL give you the extra energy for your workouts and help you burn fat, not lean muscle.

Ok, I don't track everyday, but I would say I am normally in the 50-80 total carbs a day, but some days more. Protein, well, I was struggling with getting enough so I have added back shakes and have about 60-80g a day, sometimes more. Calories are variable, but I would say 700-1000 would be typical.

Women do need less then men, but with the good weather I am just overall doing more and maybe i just need to increase something. Yesterday, I spent about 4 hours with a friend doing horse stuff, including about half that time training from the ground, where we walked all over the place. I then came home and mowed lawn etc. I held up pretty well, finishing my chores etc after getting home, but then once i hit the couch I was done in.

Anyway, I am still having this issue of running out of steam. I do alternate activities and sometimes it is lower intensity/longer duration. I am still suspecting it is the Fluid or carb/calorie combo that isn't quite right. I see the nutritionalist in a week, maybe she will have more ideas.

I see you are closing in on a year since your surgery. I have a feeling your NUT will tell you to increase your calories and carbs. Just because you increase them does not mean it will slow your weight loss, in many instances, it will increase your weight loss and it will give you more energy for the day.

If you gave your age I did not catch it. I am sure you had cardiac Clearence before surgery. And you have been living a healthier lifestyle. But we all abused our body prior to surgery. Where I am going with this is if you were able to exercise with out problems before and now you are not. You should discuss this with your family dr. Because some times this is the only warning sign before a heart attack. ( not trying to scare you) but should get it checked.