Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Phones And Internet In Mexico

I leave next week for surgery wtih Dr. Ponce and thought about everything I think except phone coverage and internet so today I phoned my plan and sure enough if I use internet while over in MX I will incurr a ton of extra charges as well as .99 a minute for calls and .99 per text! Has anyone found a way around this? Im taking the laptop and hope to just email but I will still need to phone my kids daily. Think I may look into getting a pre paid phone from mexico just to call my family for those few days if its pretty cheap. Anyone have any suggestions or experience they would like to share?

I'm leaving on Monday for Tijuana and i'm putting my iPhone in airplane mode & hooking up to the hospital & hotel's wifi. I've got FaceTime as well as Skype on my phone so we can video chat, voice chat, or text message that way for free. I can also access Facebook, VST lol and any other sites I want to from my phone that way without any extra expense :)

Wow, didnt think about that however the people i will need to contact do not have iphones or face time. LOL my mother barely knows how to work her phone. I didnt think about wifi However, att did not state if I used that, that i wouldnt be charged. They just said "do not use internet or you will face over 100 in charges"! I will ask them about this.

thank for the info! Hope it all goes well. Please let me know how you do. Im so nervous.

I think with Skype, you can call regular phone numbers right? You might experiment with it before you go, it might save you a few bucks :)

I have Verizon and I don't plan to turn on my phone at all because they want too much money. Everytime I go out of town and leave the kids home they know they can Skype me!!! It works just like a phone call and it's free. Now FaceTime uses data do I wouldnt use that either.

Or you could purchase a phone card and call from the hotel

Well FaceTime does use data, but wifi is free at the hospital. And by using airplane mode, you can ensure that you won't accidentally use airtime & get a huge bill :) Just a thought for those who have FaceTime or a Skype app :)

I guess I should put my phone in airplane mode before I cross the border lol. I'm just afraid Verizon will find some way to get some money out of me even if I use wifi. They are greedy like that

Yeah that's what I plan on doing. I called them about a month ago & supposedly lol, by putting it in airplane mode, that prevents any sort of messaging, cellular or data usage outside of wifi. So according to them that would make me safe. I tried airplane mode at home & connected to our wifi & made a few Skype & FaceTime calls & it worked perfectly, so I feel great about it.

If you didn't put it in airplane mode and even just received texts and never sent any, I think it was something like $0.50 each, so that could amount to a lot :)

I'm kinda addicted to my phone sorry :) The thought of being disconnected from the world for a week made me panic a little lol.

Yeah that's what I plan on doing. I called them about a month ago & supposedly lol, by putting it in airplane mode, that prevents any sort of messaging, cellular or data usage outside of wifi. So according to them that would make me safe. I tried airplane mode at home & connected to our wifi & made a few Skype & FaceTime calls & it worked perfectly, so I feel great about it.

If you didn't put it in airplane mode and even just received texts and never sent any, I think it was something like $0.50 each, so that could amount to a lot :)

do you have Verizon too?

I am fairly new to my iphone, but I will be sure to play with it before its time for me to leave. I can only facetime my daughter, but I can skype everyone else!!!

I have verizon and i turned my phone off the entire time i was there.. i think the best idea is to get a phone card they are fairly cheap.. Trish will hook you up just ask her... I didn't want to put my phone in airplane mode just in case.. i only used the free internet at the hospital and the hotel to update ppl... i didn't call..but i did let them all know i was okay... i'm excited for you mommy... you will love it.. and like they said the hard part is the first day then after that it's smooth sailing!!!!

all that updating of folks was done on my laptop... you might setup a skype at home and then you can skype them so they can see you too

Holly

Yes I have Verizon. I got my iPhone about 2 months ago or so, and love it. I had a variety of palms before and was too loyal apparently, I should have gotten an iPhone a long time ago :)

Thanks everyone... Unfortunately all that I need to contact do not have skype, or FaceTime so it's email or phone card for me!