Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers?! Where Ya's At?

QOTD-How/When did you decide you wanted to have bariatric surgery? Why did you choose the sleeve?

One of my best friends sister is an ER doctor. She knew a couple of nurses that did great with the band and suggested it for her sister. My friend is about my size and has had similar issues to me losing weight and gaining it back and then some. I have a 3 kids. My youngest is 3 and my middle son is 15. He is disabled. I want to live a long healthy life and be around for my kids! Cancer runs in my family, I have arthritis in my back and knees and I know taking off the extra weight will reduce my risk of cancer and take pressure off my joints. Also, I'm tired of being heavy and want to look better! I feel frumpy at this weight and can't wait to go shopping for new clothes in a smaller size!

I decided to look into the lap band for myself. I did more research, discussed it with my gastroenterologist and surgeon and the sleeve just seemed like a better choice for me. I didn't want to have to deal with getting fills and I kept reading so many stories of people having problems with it and revising to the sleeve. My surgeon also said that at 44yrs old I could count on having to get another surgery if I got the lap band because despite the fact they're supposed to be permanent they don't last forever. I really don't want another surgery. I'm so glad I changed my mind. I'm so excited to get the surgery. I'm happy in the other areas of my life and need to get this in check.

I am scheduled for 8/6/12 if the insurance approves it. I should have an answer by 7/31/12---no pre op diet required.

Welcome! I'm waiting for insurance approval too and should have an answer next week too.

I decide to look into surgery, because I had been thinking about it for a few years and finally at age 30, I decided it was time. I called to find out about the seminar it was that Saturday so I went. At the seminar I signed up for a consultation that next week and I joined and started my 6 mths. Honestly my doctor suggested the sleeve. At the seminar they said if you are a snacker or over eater then the band is not for you, and the sleeve seemed severe so I went in thinking bypass. Which I now know bypass is much more intense than the sleeve. But my doctor said he thinks I should do the sleeve and that I was not in need of bypass....and here I am about 2 weeks away from surgery now :)

I think some folks with a lower BMI started a discussion about their frustrations with similar insensitive comments. You might try searching the term low BMI to find it.

Minnie, I'm a skinny fat person at 36 apparently (would someone tell my butt that we are skinny at that bmi please)? I am only telling my mom, our nanny and my husband (our son is only six) so I'm not getting any gobbler. I'm sorry you are! I'm however self pay because they want a bmi of 40 to pay (the funny part of this...or ironic.....is that we are self insured and "I" picked the benefits.....eye roll.....). Next years staff will benefit from this...the skinny fat people will also be covered!!!!!

August 29. So close...so far away! Looking forward to the sleeve. A bit anxious because my eating is still so out of control...wish I could get some discipline to stick to the pre-op plan.

29 days and counting! I am finding I have a little bit more control as each day passes. I checked out the box of munchkins my kids left out on the counter this morning. Looked inside it. Said no, closed that box, and felt so proud of myself! Little steps up the mountain of New Life.

I had my endoscopy this afternoon and the anesthesiologist was surprised I was having sleeve surgery. She said she didn't think I was heavy enough and most of the people she's seen that have it are heavier, and why am I having it. I know she probably didn't mean it in a bad way but it kind of made me feel bad. I've thought about this a lot, done a lot of research and my BMI was 40 when I started looking into this. I've already had to defend my reasons to certain family and friends. (Only my family, my mom and sister and a couple of very close friends know) I didn't think I'd have to explain myself to a doctor that isn't directly involved in my decision. Ugh! Anyone else go through this?

I had my Endoscopy yesterday and the nurse said the same exact thing to me! I can't tell you how many times people have asked me that question. It used to seriously offend me, now I just smile and tell them thank you and that I am doing it because after a great deal of research my doctor and I feel it is the right decision for me...then leave it at that. That usually gets them to stop. :-)

QOTD-How/When did you decide you wanted to have bariatric surgery? Why did you choose the sleeve?

I first looked into bariatric surgery in the beginning of 2009. Did my informational session and first NUT appt, and then discovered that the clinic I had started with was not covered by my insurance. So I travelled to another clinic, and did another informational session in the summer of 2009. When they told me about having to wait 12-18 months to have a baby, I decided I did not want to wait that long. So I had my son in March of 2011. Went to the informational session in March of 2012 and here I am.....12 days from surgery!!! Cannot believe it!

My surgery is August 2nd. I have started my pre op liquid diet I am not sure how I am going to do this. We get 2 cups steamed veggies a day, but need to stay away from potatoes, corn and peas. I am starving and have a headache!

QOTD-How/When did you decide you wanted to have bariatric surgery? Why did you choose the sleeve? I was approached by my doctor to consider the sleeve at my physical. I had a clear cancer check up which was AWESOME! Then he told me in the next breath, that I was up for having a massive heart attack if I didn't lose bare min 80 pounds. Like PRONTO! I have been trying and faithful for two years and can't move the weight. For my lifestyle, I shouldn't be this big. He has been helping me with my weight and monitoring me for a couple of years. He told me the best way for someone like me was Mexico as the provincial programs were hard to get into, and hard to keep qualified since I am only a level one, two at best. My health is starting to suffer, and I never cared about being the pudgy fluffy mom. I was happy, but in the last year...the more I struggle with the side effects of my weight the more it robs my joy, and my families joy. I want to play ball all day, and go to a bbq at night and go dancing. Like I used to. I want to laugh from my toes, and not have that blech feeling right behind it. The sleeve was an obvious choice for me, I don't have to fill it, or have two surgeries (to put in and eventually take out), the rny is holy batman scary, as in ten years down the line, and the effects of not being able to keep up to your mineral and Vitamin content. I wanted a TOOL something that would make me stop having my body fight me. But, I want to live to be a ginger old granny with tons of laughs, not more health struggles. Ronda at A Lighter Me has been fantastic! Even though sometimes I am completely neurotic she has got me set straight. It's all going to be groovy, a little scary...but groovy :D

My MD told me too also A girl I work with had it and looks amazing was going to do the band but after research and talking to people who had the band decided on the sleeve and all you people on this site are a help and inspiration I love to meet you all

Date set ... August 31 in Mexico with Dr Garcia, selfpay of course. Anxious and excited.

I was just told about this group and was so glad to find it! I have surgery with Dr. Lopez-Ortega in Tijuana Mexico on the 27th. It's all becoming very real that I'm going and jitters have set in.

I was just told about this group and was so glad to find it! I have surgery with Dr. Lopez-Ortega in Tijuana Mexico on the 27th. It's all becoming very real that I'm going and jitters have set in.

Hey Yukon, welcome to the party =) I am getting oober excited! The ladies and the few gents in here are freaking AWESOME!