Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shame on Golden Corral.

Hubby and I decided to "beat the beast" so to say and make a visit to our local buffet. We typically enjoy the yummy food at Souper salad (who by the way does offer a discount to WLS patients).

I had called shortly after my surgery to see if they give a discount and they said yes, with proof of surgery (the card). I didn't have my card at the time and just said forget it.

The last time I went into the resturant they told me they would honor our cards this time, but not to be surprised if they don't in the future as it is "against company policy" to honor WLS discounts as Golden Corral is an "all you can eat resturant" and "if that is all you can eat, then that's all you can eat".

I know they aren't the best place to eat, but every now and then I enjoy a change of pace and I can honestly behave myself enough now to eat there.

Personally I think that type of company attitude promotes obesity. Gotta love the all mighty dollar!

I think they should double the price when you show them the card. That would be true civic responsibilty and show love for their fellow (wo)man. It would show that principal is more important than the almighty dollar.

BTW, I always tip extra when I order a kids meal or just an appetizer. I don't want my wait person to get jipped just because I eat less. It's still the same amount of work for them. ~Mandy

I understand why places wouldn't want to accept the cards - but I do think they should accododate customers with WLS and it's not that I think they owe me anything like Babs said,,,, I just think they should do it if they want to keep customers. I am not going to pay $10 to eat at Golden Corral, or anywhere where I can't take the part of my meal I don't eat to-go. But if Golden Corral wantrs my friends, family, and husband coming in - they should honor the discount - because those people aren't going to eat without me, and I'm not going to go there if I have to pay $10. I'm sorry, but money is an issue in my family, and I don't have much extra money. If Golden Corral wants to lose me as a customer, they should remember they are also losing my husband, my friends, and my parents too.

Also, if they have a problem with people copying the cards - I'd be happy to show them my scars!

This might have already been said but if you expect a buffet restaurant to charge you less because you eat less....then I would assume that you would also be for them charging fat people who eat a LOT more?

Same principle right.

How about airlines....should skinnier people pay less for a ticket than fat people?

Don't get me wrong...I think it's considerate of a restaurant to do that if you ask but I don't think it's right to get all indignant and upset about it if they don't.

JMO YMMV.

I totaly agree with Mandy...if I do order from the kids or just an appitizer, I still make sure the tip is reflective of a full price meal, so the wait staff is not slighted in any way.

You know I was never charged more then the all you can eat price when I ate so much that the price per pound was almost free...so why would I expect to pay less then the all I can eat price when all I can eat is a cup of something. Since banding, I have buffet all I could eat at a Brunch $12.95 and Chinese lunch $5.95, but I drew the line at $30 Mother's Day Lunch buffet.

Forgive me for not reading through all of the posts. I never have asked for a special card or discount. Although it would be nice to save money, I don't feel I should receive preferential treatement. My WLS was my choice, my decision. The restaurants were not to blame. Everyone is in control of their own actions and to put blame elsewhere is only shifting it from yourself. I think its great that some businesses do support discounts for WLS but I personally don't feel that it should be a standard and no one should complain about those who don't support it. Why should thier business take a hit on finances because of a personal choice we all made. They are there to offer food services and regardless of how much you actually eat of it you are paying for the food they provide.

Golden Corral has a special discount for people with a bariatric card. I think it is $3.98. I probably wouldn't eat at a buffet if I had to pay full price. I think it would be a waste of money for me. At Golden Corral, they have always been nice about the discount. I can't say the same for Bennigan's. When my sister and i both ordered from the children's menu, we got nasty comments. "Do you want some crayons too?" "You two are cheap dates." At Bob Evans, they let you order from the children's menu. They usually charge you the child's price--but at some BE restaurants, they charge you for an adult child's meal. (which is higher than a child's meal) Does that make sense?

Most restaurants (not all-you-can-eat buffets) serve so much food, that my wife and I order one meal and split it.

When I figure the tip, I add enough for a second meal and then multiply by the appropriate percentage of that artificial total as the tip.

Example: If we eat at Bob Evans, we usually order an $8 meal with two Decaf coffees for a total of $12. If we had ordered 2 meals, it would have been $20. If the service was so-so, I multiply by 15% and leave a $3 tip. If the service was good, I multiply by 20% and leave $4. I usually pay by credit card, so I round up the tip to make the total come to an even dollar amount.

If the menu says that they charge a fee for sharing, we walk out.

I try to stay away from buffet's because I am still having a hard time controlling my "head hunger". Plus, I want to succeed with this band so I stay away from temptation. My family fully supports this decision and they are trying to eat better too so they don't have my problem in the future. You guys that can go to buffets are alot stronger and braver than I.:D

I think that they can do what they want and you should vote with your feet so to speak. I can understand them not wanting to give a discount. It's a wonder they make any money with how much some people (myself in the past included) pile on a plate!

These places are in business to make money. Why should they give up their livliehood because I have overindulged myself and developed an eating habit in my past life. My choices are not somebodies elses problem, whether it's a corporation or just a single person.

Personally, I don't think they're losing money, after all, if we're banded, then we're eating less than a person that's paying full price, which is the reason we ask for the discount. Now if you're going there and eating as much as a person non-banded person, shame on you, LOL.

I have used my card, but I usually eat a tiny bit of salad and Soup, but at least I'm able to take small portions of various foods to see if my band will allow it. (Believe it or not, even after almost 2 years, my band is still fickle).

AND, it's not like in a regular restaurant where the left overs, which most of us have in mind when placing the order, can be taken home.

By the way, the receipt from our local Golden Corral says, "stomach stapling" I have no guilt asking for a discount.

Well they are all you can eat buffets & they charge a flat fee, I don't think anyone should be down on them for not offering a discount to WLS patients. I just know that i don't want any special treatment because of my situation. It was me that made myself fat not them, they shouldn't have to compensate for it.

Babsintx3: I agree with you 100%. It costs the resturants the same amount of money to process and serve the food no matter how little or how much you eat. I just get what I normally would and take what I don't eat home for the next day. At a buffet, I just eat what I can but know when I go in at the front that I'm not going to eat as much as before. But was it really my "money's" worth, to leave so uncomfortably full that I was miserable??? I think not. I enjoy my food 1000 times MORE now, even though it's much less. After all, they didn't look at us walking in the door at 300 lbs and say, "Oh, charge her more, cuz we know she'll eat more", so why charge less just because we eat less now? Enjoy the experience and fun with those you are with. And enjoy every bite you can take!!!!!

Babsintx3: I agree with you 100%. It costs the resturants the same amount of money to process and serve the food no matter how little or how much you eat. I just get what I normally would and take what I don't eat home for the next day. At a buffet, I just eat what I can but know when I go in at the front that I'm not going to eat as much as before. But was it really my "money's" worth, to leave so uncomfortably full that I was miserable??? I think not. I enjoy my food 1000 times MORE now, even though it's much less. After all, they didn't look at us walking in the door at 300 lbs and say, "Oh, charge her more, cuz we know she'll eat more", so why charge less just because we eat less now? Enjoy the experience and fun with those you are with. And enjoy every bite you can take!!!!!