Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not Ready For Work Monday

According to my std im supposed to be back next Monday what if im not. As of now my belly still hurts its hard to stand and walk long distances, I have a lot of loose stool. Now im getting nervous about work next week. Will my dr extend it? Im scared

Call your surgeon's office and tell them you need more time - yes, they can extend it. The surgeon recommends the time off, STD rarely fights it unless it's preposterous. I was given 4 weeks off without question.

You probably won't get an extension for loose stool, but tell your surgeon about the discomfort you're having.

My surgery was april 25. My doctor told me to take 2 weeks off. I decided i didn't need that much time off. And told my work I would be back may 1. I made it 3 hours then went in on May 3 for a few hours. I felt miserable driving,& sitting at my desk. It was stupid even trying to go in. I didn't try to go in may 4. I thought taking a long weekend off i would be ok going back today. No way, im not ready. I'm 12 days out and still taking pain meds almost every 4-6 hrs. If I don't. My left side hurts. And as of last night. My lower stomach hurts.

All that being said. Take as much time off as you need, & I am sure your doctor will approve more time off for you.

Take care!!

Katie

I was given 6-8 weeks, took 3 but was told I could have gone at 1, even though my discharge papers had 3 weeks

I took 2 weeks off and should have taken more. I was so tired during the first week back, and I have a fairly active job. My advice is to take as much time as you need, Short term disability should cover 4-6 weeks. The physician should be able to discuss with STD and extend it according to your symptoms.

How do you get STD? I am contracted through a company so I dont have any vacation time. Im just not getting paid.

Generally STD is an employer-paid benefit, though it can be offered as an employee-paid benefit, or a hybrid of the two. (E.g. the employer will pay for a certain % of income coverage, but you can purchase higher on your own.)

Contractors generally do not have STD benefits unless through a very large contracting firm (think along the scale of gov't contractors, I know several of the very large govt's contractors have pretty good STDLTD benefits... or at least used to before things tanked so much). Though it's not unheard of...

VERY few companies offer (at least they used to, they may not anymore) offer individual STD coverage, and when they do, it's really expensive. Usually the only way to get it is through a group plan.

My company offers it. I have my first post op appt on friday im thinking I should call my dr tomorrow and ask for more time instead of waiting until friday. Not sure what to do right now.

It is hard to know what you feel like on Monday. And everyone's experience with post-op pain is so different. I stopped taking pain meds on day 4 and just used liquid tylenol when I felt I need it. How flexible is your job? Do they have to hire someone to do you job while your out? So if you feel up to it you can go in and they wont be sending home a temp?

I work for a call center. The good thing is no lifting but bad thing is you have to sit for 8 hours straight besides lunch time. If you get up from your desk you are docked time for going to the rest room plus now im still on pain meds every 6 hours...I have a high tolerance for pain but im having a hard time healing from this one

I too sit for 8 hours a day. My first day back I went home so sore and delayed my healing process. My incisive were inflamed.

My first day back was today. My surgeon had me out for 2 but I asked for am extra week because I was sore, he approved with no problem and I asked for light duty for a week this well and no problem there either. Talk to your doc, they would rather you be safe then sorry.