Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Good evening all I have read hundreds of your posts and love them all and they confirm I have made the right decision to have the sleeve surgery but I am wondering if any one had/has type 2 diabetes and what effect being sleeved has made to the control of there diabetes Cheers Phil

I had very well controlled type 2 diabetes. I was on metformin and typical readings were around 6. Left the hospital off metformin and with normal blood glucose levels. Since surgery my a1c is around 4.3 and there is no sign I ever had diabetes. It could come back but my GP did a big round of tests and actually took diabetes off my official record. I don't even have access to NDS anymore.

Surgery was almost 13 months ago.

Hi everyone - It has been a while since I have checked in and it is great to see some new names and to still see some old ones - Lissa, Kelli, Misty ... sorry if I have missed others.

I am coming up to two years and had my annual visit to my surgeon last week. I am pleased to say that I am still maintaining around 60kg - I have been as low as 58 but as high as 61 (start weight 103kg - 167cm tall). I must admit that I was a bit disappointed that I was 2kg heavier than I was last time I weighed in at the surgeons but I think I was a being a bit neurotic! I keep thinking that is the best dream I have ever had and I am going to wake up and find it isn't real!

I don't always make the best choices when it comes to food and my commitment to exercise has been minimal (at best!). I guess the operation didn't promise to make me a perfect human being!

The things I love about my life now are:

People seeing me ( I am not invisible anymore)

I want to see people and meet new people!

My increased confidence

My new calmness

My new wardrobe

My new agility

How food just doesn't mean that much to me anymore

The weight off my shoulders (figuratively and literally!)

My knees aren't sore anymore

I don't snore (as much!)

I feel younger

I feel more feminine

I am healthier

The funny adjustments that I went through during the journey :

Not being able to see that I had lost weight when I looked in the mirror

The shock of feeling my bones under my skin

The thrill of being able to cross my legs and how my limbs felt very long

The seat on a plane feeling really roomy

Not being recognised

The down side (nothing I would ever trade for my weightloss!):

Still have to take Nexium

Still on an Iron supplement (but I think this is more stage of life related rather than weight loss related)

The hair loss ( but that does grow back)

The extra wrinkles and a bit of loose skin (I am very lucky that this is minimal)

Hi everyone

I am scheduled for surgery in Perth late June. Excited and nervous! Any tips / tricks you wish you knew? Any advice would be great xx

Hi Krystal - The only advise I could offer is after your op and when you finally get back to eating soft food and then normal food, make sure you eat regularly and put a priority on Protein and keep your fluids going.

Hi everyone <br> I am scheduled for surgery in Perth late June. Excited and nervous! Any tips / tricks you wish you knew? Any advice would be great xx

Hey,

My advice is to wash your hair and shave your legs the night before your op as it's a bit hard to do your hair in hosp with a drip in and I haven't attempted my legs yet. (I am 12 days post op)

Also my dad bought me a Soup maker and it is my best friend. All I do is add the ingredients and it makes it into Soup in 21 mins.. And it blends it all up for me!! ( I made potato, leek and bacon tonight)

Dal :)

@@Ozikiwi How you going girl?

I am very proud of myself as I just had a 1/4 of a cup of Soup for dinner and 3/4 purée weetbix for lunch!!

Feeling great. Love my sleeve already. I feel back to normal now.(minus being able to eat much)

Can't wait til wed when I move onto soft food!

I am in Ormeau!! How you doing? I am feeling like all I do is drink!! But other than that all very good. Managing pain with panadol.

Hi kadybug I live in Surfers! Had my surgery last August. Who was your surgeon?

Hi Kelly, Misty,and Lissa, I have had a break from the forum for a while, it was making me obsessive. So have just come back recently. I would love to see you all again some time you were all very inspiring for me. I am at goal now and turned 60 last month. For any body interested here are my stats

Highest weight - 5/6/2013 - 106.1kg

Surgery weight - 7/8/2013 - 97.7kg

Current weight - 27/5/2014 - 57.9kg

Goal weight - was never given one

Total loss since highest weight - 48.2kg

Height - 167 cm

Surgeon - Dr Greg Nolan at Pindara.

Hi kadybug I live in Surfers! Had my surgery last August. Who was your surgeon?

Hi Jenpez,

My surgeon was Dr Victor Liew and had my surgery at allamanda:)

Ps. Those are great stats.. Mine are; 100.6kgs on the 7/5, On the day of surgery I was 93.3 21/5 Last Wednesday I was 91.2 And I will weigh again this Wednesday. Really hoping to hit the 80's. Oh and I am 167cms

Edited by kadybug

@@Ozikiwi How you going girl?<br> I am very proud of myself as I just had a 1/4 of a cup of Soup for dinner and 3/4 purée weetbix for lunch!! <br> Feeling great. Love my sleeve already. I feel back to normal now.(minus being able to eat much) <br> Can't wait til wed when I move onto soft food!

I'm doing great. Was meant to be on fluids only til Wednesday but couldn't stand it anymore. Ate puréed veggies for dinner last night. I've lost 9.8kgs so can't complain. Your loss looks great too. I've been wondering if those soup makers are any good . I have been living on Soups through my Fluid stage. Keep up the good work!

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been around for a while. I do read the posts as they come on my phone. I have been living my life lol. Well today is my 12 month mark!! I can't believe it's been 12 months haha. What a journey to have made. Getting my sleeve done was the best thing I have ever done. Here are my stats from last year and today:

3/6/2013: Weight: 135.1kg...
Bust: 128cm
Waist: 130cm
Hips: 152cm

NOW for TODAY:

3/06/2014: Weight: 89.4kg
Bust: 104cm
Waist: 99cm
Hips: 114cm

All up I have lost 53.1kg that is from the first day of my pre op that was 2 weeks long. Plus overall I have lost 165.5cm over my body!!! Look I haven't done as good as I should have over the last 2 months but that's ok a I'm only human. And here's to the next 12 months :)

Oh and for those of you who have PCOS well there is light at the end of the tunnel.......I have been told I no longer have PCOS I only have PCO which is great!!! My ovaries are normal and my husband and I have started our second round of IUI to have our first child, so watch this space :)

Well done to everyone who has had their sleeve done you are all doing great!!! And good luck to everyone who is going to get it done soon. It was the best thing I did for myself.

Cheers

Bec

Edited by Bec101

<p><strong>Hi guys, sorry I haven't been around for a while. I do read the posts as they come on my phone. I have been living my life lol. Well today is my 12 month mark!! I can't believe it's been 12 months haha. What a journey to have made. Getting my sleeve done was the best thing I have ever done. Here are my stats from last year and today:</strong></p> <p> </p> <p><strong>3/6/2013: Weight: 135.1kg<span>...</span><br><span> Bust: 128cm<br> Waist: 130cm<br> Hips: 152cm</span></strong></p> <p><strong><span>NOW for TODAY:</span></strong></p> <p><strong><span>3/06/2014: Weight: 89.4kg<br> Bust: 104cm<br> Waist: 99cm<br> Hips: 114cm</span></strong></p> <p><strong> </strong></p> <div> <p><strong>All up I have lost 53.1kg that is from the first day of my pre op that was 2 weeks long. Plus overall I have lost 165.5cm over my body!!! Look I haven't done as good as I should have over the last 2 months but that's ok a I'm only human. And here's to the next 12 months :)</strong></p> <p><strong>Oh and for those of you who have PCOS well there is light at the end of the tunnel.......I have been told I no longer have PCOS I only have PCO which is great!!! My ovaries are normal and my husband and I have started our second round of IUI to have our first child, so watch this space :)</strong></p> <p><strong> </strong></p> <p><strong>Well done to everyone who has had their sleeve done you are all doing great!!! And good luck to everyone who is going to get it done soon. It was the best thing I did for myself.</strong></p> <p><strong> </strong></p> <p><strong>Cheers</strong></p> <p><strong>Bec</strong></p> </div> <p> </p>

Thanks for your share Bec. I started at the same weight as you so I am really encouraged to read your now weight. Awesome that you can start a family - great reward :-)