Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hey there's a really great pinned thread somewhere with lists including things like a cough buddy (firm pillow to assist abdomen muscles when standing or moving) and ear plugs for sleeping, that sort of thing... Maybe check pre-sleeve forum for it :)

I liked a eye patch coz the fluro lights make me dizzy...

And I use musashi n-force2 vanilla, can be cheap eBay and I like the taste

Definitely don't have a last meal the night before! A guy that was meant to

Go after me ended up being cut open and then stitched right back up because he'd had chicken the night before. Don't take any risks with it! I had a "last meal" the night before I started pre op.

Can't give you too many tips as to what to bring as I'm only on my second night (I was told three to five days in hospital) but I would suggest packing some nice big granny undies! Lol I don't usually wear them but I'm secretly loving them in here! I've also packed my laptop and some movies for if I get bored but I haven't had much time between sleeping and getting up and walking around.

WOW!! Thank you! That answers that one about the last meal. I didn't think it woul be ok...now I know!

See- I would prefer to be in for a few nights. I don't think 1 night is sufficient enough when one has had 85% of their stomach removed! Grannies undies- good advice! I'm concerned about phone and laptop though as tey have a stern warning not to take them for being stolen.

Thank you so much for your input! Hope you are feeling good!

I liked a eye patch coz the fluro lights make me dizzy...

And I use musashi n-force2 vanilla' date=' can be cheap eBay and I like the taste[/quote']

Oohh eye-patch, good idea!! Thanks. I have some blackmores Protein powder left in the cupboard. Hopefully it still goes down well post-op.

Hi ladies and gents' date=' seeking post sleevers to past on their wisdom and any advice!! So my surgery date is this coming Tuesday and I'm trying to get prepared as much as I can....so I have some questions if you could kindly give your opinions:-)

Firstly,

*What essential personal items did u take or wish you had packed for hospital?

*My doctor says I will be in for 1 night- I was expecting longer? How many nights were you in for?

*Dr says its very important NOT to vomit after surgery, but some have posted they vomited within minutes of waking? Did you?

*What antacids can/do you use?

*What Protein shakes do you use post op? I have read Optifast is no good post-op.

*I have read some have had a 'last meal' the night before surgery. (I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not) Did you have a last meal and what was it? I read one post had KFC!! O_o Lol.

*Anything essential you think a pre-op SHOULD know before going in?

Thanks guys!! You are all an amazing support system, I look forward to reading your replies! :-)[/quote']

This is my experience 7 weeks post op tomorrow

I didn't take anything different to a normal hospital stay. I took laptop and books but honestly didn't open them once as I was in for 2 nights but slept constantly as I was so tired after the anathestic. I also had my monthly visitor arrive the night before surgery which was horrendous to deal with at this time.

I did not vomit or have any nausea. Had little to no pain. Was given nexium tabs for acid but went off them 1 week after I got home. Had no gas pain so didn't require the meds I purchased before op.

I started back on Optifast at 4 weeks post op and have for Breakfast 6 days a week. Tried another brand Xantrac or something and couldn't get through it so such a waste of $ and went straight back into OF.

Did not have a last meal as too worried the food would be right there in my stomach and caught out by my surgeon...haha

I had my own private room where door was kept closed the entire time so I had no disturbance which was great.

The worst experience of my whole op was my leak test which I struggled with immensely and the thought still makes me feel ill. Not every surgeon does it though.

My Protein drinks post op were Mushasi P30 for a while which are nice but high in sugars. I no longer use Protein Drinks as I get enough Protein at this point.

So pretty much I have no regrets and love my sleeve. Down another 3kgs this week and just wish I did this earlier

Great to hear you are doing well Susie but am wondering how Lila is as haven't heard from her since op on monday

This is my experience 7 weeks post op tomorrow

I didn't take anything different to a normal hospital stay. I took laptop and books but honestly didn't open them once as I was in for 2 nights but slept constantly as I was so tired after the anathestic. I also had my monthly visitor arrive the night before surgery which was horrendous to deal with at this time.

I did not vomit or have any nausea. Had little to no pain. Was given nexium tabs for acid but went off them 1 week after I got home. Had no gas pain so didn't require the meds I purchased before op.

I started back on Optifast at 4 weeks post op and have for Breakfast 6 days a week. Tried another brand Xantrac or something and couldn't get through it so such a waste of and went straight back into OF.

Did not have a last meal as too worried the food would be right there in my stomach and caught out by my surgeon...haha

I had my own private room where door was kept closed the entire time so I had no disturbance which was great.

The worst experience of my whole op was my leak test which I struggled with immensely and the thought still makes me feel ill. Not every surgeon does it though.

My Protein drinks post op were Mushasi P30 for a while which are nice but high in sugars. I no longer use Protein drinks as I get enough protein at this point.

So pretty much I have no regrets and love my sleeve. Down another 3kgs this week and just wish I did this earlier

Great to hear you are doing well Susie but am wondering how Lila is as haven't heard from her since op on monday

Thanks so much Shell! Your words are invaluable! Lol, I thought about the food staying in the stomach and getting caught! As a surgeon, I'm certain they are able to tell a stomach that has been on a liquid diet and one that hasn't!!

I won't take my laptop, but want to take my phone- hope it will be safe! Must remember to sync it the night before....just incase!!

I am on liquids for 4 weeks after so good to know that OF is still tolerable afterwards as I will have left-overs.

So good to hear that you are doing so well! And I too am hope Lila is going well. Hopefully she will be able to log on soon and let us know how she went.

I was in for 4 nights / 5 days. Take trackies that are ok to walk around the ward and see visitors in, but also comfortable enough to sleep in incase you lay down for "just a minute" and wake up 4 hours later.

I took a book, slippers, a strapless or convert able bra (if you have a drip, it's easier to take one of the straps off than get the nurse to undo the drip) chewing gum (you will have death breath, and it's nice to have something in your mouth, could only do this after day 3, prior, made me feel sick.) no vomiting.

Wet wipes or baby wipes, to freshen yourself up and make you feel more human, hand sanitizer ( use it every time you venture out of your room)

That's all I can think of. And I was on Optifast 5 days post op. they were too sweet though, so I mixed skim milk powder with skim milk. Sounds gross, but heaps of Protein and just tastes like milk.

Good luck.

I was in for 4 nights / 5 days. Take trackies that are ok to walk around the ward and see visitors in' date=' but also comfortable enough to sleep in incase you lay down for "just a minute" and wake up 4 hours later.

I took a book, slippers, a strapless or convert able bra (if you have a drip, it's easier to take one of the straps off than get the nurse to undo the drip) chewing gum (you will have death breath, and it's nice to have something in your mouth, could only do this after day 3, prior, made me feel sick.) no vomiting.

Wet wipes or baby wipes, to freshen yourself up and make you feel more human, hand sanitizer ( use it every time you venture out of your room)

That's all I can think of. And I was on Optifast 5 days post op. they were too sweet though, so I mixed skim milk powder with skim milk. Sounds gross, but heaps of Protein and just tastes like milk.

Good luck.[/quote']

Thanks Puppyphat, good to hear your experience and some great tips too! I didn't think we were allowed chewing gum? But hey if they do it's getting packed. I was looking at the dry mouth washes u can get from the pharmacy. I have heard that dry mouth is common too.

It's funny that post op couldn't wait to end Optifast and now I actually enjoy it each morning. I tried a friends celebrity slim which I found so sweet and couldn't get through that as well.

Had a great lunch today which will get me through daily for the next week.

Helgas sandwich thins with avocado, cottage cheese, baby spinach, Tomato and cold fat free chicken meat. It was so delicious. Also saving heaps of money as used to buy coffee and lunch every day at work now probably do 1 babychino a week and don't need to buy lunches anymore so great to see a bit more money and can put towards some clothes that I am now in desperate need of as just too baggy.

Great idea about strapless bra as so difficult to shower and feel decent when you have a drip. I was so out of it after surgery and was so worried the next day to see the mess from not being able to change myself but that first shower was fantastic

I was also allowed ice chips and could drink fluids I think pretty much same night as op. I went into theatre at 2.30 and woke in recovery at 5.30, then straight back to my room

Hope you all had a great week.

Pre op sorry about hated Optifast

It's funny that post op couldn't wait to end Optifast and now I actually enjoy it each morning. I tried a friends celebrity slim which I found so sweet and couldn't get through that as well.

Had a great lunch today which will get me through daily for the next week.

Helgas sandwich thins with avocado' date=' cottage cheese, baby spinach, Tomato and cold fat free chicken meat. It was so delicious. Also saving heaps of money as used to buy coffee and lunch every day at work now probably do 1 babychino a week and don't need to buy lunches anymore so great to see a bit more money and can put towards some clothes that I am now in desperate need of as just too baggy.

Great idea about strapless bra as so difficult to shower and feel decent when you have a drip. I was so out of it after surgery and was so worried the next day to see the mess from not being able to change myself but that first shower was fantastic

I was also allowed ice chips and could drink fluids I think pretty much same night as op. I went into theatre at 2.30 and woke in recovery at 5.30, then straight back to my room

Hope you all had a great week.[/quote']

It is so great to hear that at some stage you will again eat food!! So focused on liquids, liquids, liquids that you do wonder if you will ever eat chewable food again! Buggy clothes?? Yay!!! Must feel so amazing! Shell, did u ever have the sugar free lollies that are in the OF diet? I know the OF diet allows them but are we allowed them?

No I never had any lollies but everyone is different. During my OF I had 2 shakes and 1 meal of chicken /fish and steam vegs every night but I did break it on a couple of occasions on first week :(

I was on fluids and purée food for first two weeks, then moved to soft foods for next 2 then week 4 I could eat anything. I can remember leading up to week 2 post op and couldn't wait to start on scrambled eggs and salmon which was so yummy especially after Soups, yoghurts for 2 weeks.

I was on fluids and purée food for first two weeks' date=' then moved to soft foods for next 2 then week 4 I could eat anything. I can remember leading up to week 2 post op and couldn't wait to start on scrambled eggs and salmon which was so yummy especially after Soups, yoghurts for 2 weeks.[/quote']

I wish. I had thin liquids for 2 weeks, purée with NO LUMPS for 2 weeks, soft food for 4 weeks, then anything except bread, rice and Pasta for 6 months. I'm 1/2 way through purée and really just want a boiled egg or a tuna quiche.