Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be seen some people posting, talking about a goal weight. Im wondering how you come up with that weight? I've looked up my ideal weight by BMI, but it ranges from about 120-160 or so. Quite a span.

I'm 31, 5' 7" so what should be my actual ideal weight be? What should my goal be? How low can I expect to go? I think I am small boned lol. I'm currently at 218, 5 days into the pre-op diet.

I think I'll be a slow loser. I have PCOS bad (no periods) & I've had type 2 diabetes for 19 years. I've always felt like such a fat lump, even when I was 40-50 pounds lighter. Maybe because I have a disease associated with obesity? I don't know.... Just want to get healthy!

Honestly, I made mine up. I actually put my goal weight about 15 lbs higher than my weight watcher goal weight and 30 lbs higher than my high school weight Why? I guess for me I am not looking to go back to high school size, I am looking to be healthier so that I feel like biking, swimming, canoeing, hiking etc. I am hoping to avoid high blood pressure, diabetes and high cholesterol that my mother has so for me fitting into smaller clothing isn't the main goal, although it will be a nice perk :)

I am hoping my highish goal will keep me from being discouraged and if I get there and am more active and feel like taking off a few more than I will.....13 lbs below my goal weight puts me at normal bmi and is around what my weight watchers goal is for my age.

As far as my mini goals, I just looked at other people on here and how fast they lost after surgery and tried to come up with something reasonable. I assume I'll lose 7 or 8 lbs during 2 week liquid pre-op. That means I would need to lose about 10 lbs in the first month to get to my onederland goal. My next goal is 23 lbs in 3 more months, that may be too aggressive....I am typically a slow loser. But I'm not going to get too hung up on that.....I set the goals for it to be fun, not so I can get down if I don't quite make it that fast. I have hope and that sustains me.

Goal weights are pretty arbitrary, in a lot of ways. Your sugeon might set a goal weight for you. Some surgeons do it based on the expected weight loss. For example, if they typically see patients lose 80% of their excess weight with the sleeve, he or she may set a goal for you that is 80% of your excess.

Of course, to determin the excess weight, you have to have a "normal weight". BMI definitely isn't the greatest guide - there are lots of limitations to it that I wn't drone on about here. But If you are of an average build, it would make sense to put your goal weight in the middle of the "normal" range. You say your are small boned, so perhaps your goal weight should be at the low end of that range - say, 130 pounds.

You could also set a goal weight that is the lowest adult weight you have been able to maintain and feel "healthy" with. So if your lowest adult weight that you were able to maintain for a while, or the weight before you gained weight (if you gained weight later in life) was at was 140 then that might be a good goal weight.

Whatever you decide, just know that nothing is set in stone. It really is "just a number". Really. Your medical issues may also come into play and make it more difficult to achieve a very low weight. So you can come up with a number, but try to be realistic and err on the "high side" of things. You can always adjust your goal weight later (and you probably will). I changed my goal weight several times as I realized how I felt and looked at certain weights.

I made mine up by going by my past. I'm 5'9" (5'8-1/2 now by my surgeon's measuring) and I think the silly height/weight charts say 135-165 or something like that for my height. When I was in high school & college, I was about 150 & was very comfortable with myself. Therefore, that's what I said my ultimate goal is. My surgeon put 146 on my chart after looking at his height/weight thing, although I'm not sure how he got that number from the range. He also put 187 in a different spot & said that would be if I lost 67% of my excess weight (132 lbs overweight) which is the overall average for people with weight loss surgery according to him. He said that of course I don't have to stop at 187, but that's the average so he had to write it down. I might never get back to 150, and that's okay as long as I'm healthy. I just know that's what I weighed the last time I was healthy and happy with my weight & didn't feel overweight, so that's what I picked.

Don't compare yourself to others and ditto on the comments here. Pick something you can live with and don't be afraid to adjust it or have a couple of sets of goals. This surgery is just a tool. How much you lose is up to you and your discipline. Enjoy it!

By the way, BMI is not a good evaluator of fitness but it is a placeholder (when I played football in college my BMI said I was obese but I was very fit for what I was doing). I no longer play football so I don't need to carry that weight and now I'm pretty fit (triathlons will help with that) but not as strong as I was in college.

hmm I like this thread. I'm not to sure how to actually "calculate it." My overall goal weight is 130/140. I believe this is my healthy weight for

my height but it is also where I would like to be. for myself, my clothes size is more of a goal to me then actual pounds. im short and proportioned pretty evenly besides my breast and nice ass. ;) I really would love to be in a size 7/8 and small tshirt. My mom doesn't think I'll ever get into a small tshirt because of my breast size but I'll keep my big breast if that means I have to wear a medium tshirt ;)

Honestly last time I remember weighing in the 130s was in middle school at the pediatricians office and my brother making fun of me because I weighed 133 and he weighed like 120 and is 2 and a half years older than me. I remember this specifically because we were in the waiting room and a kid from my class I thought was cute was there. ha! now that I think about it I can't even remember that boys last name so obviously the comment about my weight had more of an impact on me that day. I will be excited to be at a healthy and normal weight for my age and height so like I said the pounds won't impact my decision of looking good and being healthy. I dol have about 100 pounds to lose to get to 130 so it's gonna be a journey!

I guess I never answered your question... just rambled on :-x