Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery On Friday Night With Dr. Ponce De Leon At The Lucerna Hotel Now

Hi everyone sorry for the late update just didn't feel like doing much but sleeping and walking in the hospital. I stayed at the INT hospital and loved it. all the nurses made me feel at home they all very kind. The facility was really clean and cozy. It is one floor you stay on.. i was in room 309 for those of you going. Got here at 7 and was in for surgery at 9pm I met with Dr. Leal the cardiologist and he did an ekg which checked out fine. They ran blood test to make sure everything was fine on that end too. Women be prepared to be have a breast out when getting this done.. it's quick and easy and dr. leal is very professional.. he asked me alot of questions about my age..how much i smoke, drink, when i first started doing any of those things. They then had to put my IV in.. i will tell you straight up anyone who has to put an iv in me always has a hard time my veins move and they don't stand out.. i did have to get poked twice. Dr. Ponce came in with trish and he explained everything to me .. was very nice and reasurring.. Once i talked to him i knew i was in good hands, he is very professional and caring.

then the next day they had to move the iv over to my wrist are of my right hand. That was much better. When you are here make sure you bring a lite robe you will want it especially if you don't have anyone with your otherwise you can see everything from the back of your gown :-) (thanks to my hubby for always tying it up so no one saw anything.. i also wore my underwear and my yoga capris.. very comfy.

They wheeled me over to surgery in a wheel chair.. you do have to be all undressed for this.. i only remember laying on the bed and the anestheseologist told me you will be fine holly you are in good hands and i was.. out.. i don't even remember being wheeled back into the room my hubby told me i was asleep but they checked to make sure i was still okay.. i was up at 2am...went for a short walk..got naseauted and told the nurse she gave me more medicine and i went back to bed. I didn't have too bad of pain.. it wasn't in my chest or my shoulders thank fully.. mostly in my belly but it was very uncomfortable.. I knew i needed to walk but i resisted it for awhile because i just wanted to sleep..

then the next day they had to move the iv over to my wrist are of my right hand. That was much better. When you are here make sure you bring a lite robe you will want it especially if you don't have anyone with your otherwise you can see everything from the back of your gown :-) (thanks to my hubby for always tying it up so no one saw anything.. i also wore my underwear and my yoga capris.. very comfy. i was up and walking all the time. last night i startred to feel much better..and then i woke up again around 1am. i felt really good walked for about 30 minutes and went back to bed. This morning they ran the leak tests.. the blue stuff is really gross but you have to drink it all ... then i had to go down to the machine and get the test that they watch the liquid go down the screen.. it is as gross as everyone says but you just do it.. thankfully i had tea waiting for me up in my room :-)

Hector the nutrisionalist came and talked to me awile about the diet and gave me a schedule to follow for the next forty days.. not too bad he was very nice and for someone like me that doesn' t speak spanish he was the one i could understand easily besides TRISH who was totally amazing. Trish brought my husband tacos the last two nights and took him to the convineince store to get some Snacks.. this is where i'm totally happy i went with trish she took care of my hubby and me.. she does so many things that is not really included in her job.. love her

So they took out my drain today before coming to the hotel lucerna.. i was nevous that was going to really hurt..but the nurse i had was gentle and had me take a deep breath then she pulled it slowly out.. my husband watched her do it then told me it was about a foot long that she pulled out.. just felt like worm of pressure nothing too bad. I was glad to have the drain as they did empty it about four times.

Now i am at the hotel lucerna and what a beautiful place out my balcony i have a view of the pool and palm tree's..trish ordered me some broth up.. and boy oh boy did that taste sooooooooo good.. i was amazed and could tell how much was enought to sip at a time.. i took half the spoon and sipped half of that for one bite.. also they sent me home with medine and a cute tshirt that trish has made that says i left my stomach in Mexico..lol.. i fell so good today i fixed my hair and put on my makeup.. just finishing up this review so i can go for a walk around the pool we have the balcony open and it's very relaxing. Hope you enjoyed my review i will add pictures of everything when i get back i forgot my usb cord lol. Dr. Ponce checked me out this morning and was very thourough with me on taking my time with the sipping and wished me good luck.. I loved my experince and woudl do it again in a hearbeat..can't wait to see how my life changes now... ...

Thanks for reading this sorry it was so long but i wanted to write it while it was all still fresh in my mind

Holly

Yay Holly, so glad you are sleeved & doing so well! Hope my surgery goes just as smoothly as yours.

I love Trish, isn't she awesome. She is so helpful and knowledgeable. She was my coordinator in Feb. with Dr. Kelly. I recommend her highly!!!!!!

Woo Hoo! So glad you are doing well. I have been thinking about you and checking in here for updates! You made it through the hard part, its all downhill from here. I can't wait to start hearing about your losses!

Me too!!! Congratulations!!!

Did the hospital and the hotel have Internet?

Did the hospital and the hotel have Internet?

Yes, and the hotel also has a couple of computers in the lobby you can use to print boarding passes.

Congrats Holly, it sounds like you're doing great! I'm heading out on Wednesday and will be having surgery with Dr. Ponce on Thursday morning. I'm so, so, SO nervous! To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm more nervous about being on a plane for the first time, having major surgery for the first time, or the post op diet. It will be worth it in the long run though. Keep us updated on how you're doing!

glad you are doing great!!! thanks for the update

It sounds like it went great, congrats!

Thanks everyone today i plan on walking alot.. my arm is still swollen from the iv.. and you do have to be very careful with your drinking for the first time.. i know people and read about how small a sip but wow you can totally feel when it's too much very small sips!! i suggest you wait to watch your video of your surgery until a good month afterwords when you are all healed up... i watched mine yesterday 2 days post op.. and it totally grossed me out and now i feel like i really have to baby my stomach you don't realize what a major surgery it was until you've seen that. Wish i were going home today but i have one more day at the lucerna then home tomorrow.

DD thanks for the tip about printing out boarding tickets i saw those computers but didn't even think of doing that...

:-)

Holly

I had problems with my IV too. My sister is a nurse and she said the needles they use in MX are much bigger. I'm not sure because I couldn't look!

Holly I am so glad you are doing so well!!! Only 4 more days for me! Have to survive finals first! I look forward to your pictures and videos, I am so nervous and excited!

then the next day they had to move the iv over to my wrist are of my right hand. That was much better. When you are here make sure you bring a lite robe you will want it especially if you don't have anyone with your otherwise you can see everything from the back of your gown :-) (thanks to my hubby for always tying it up so no one saw anything.. i also wore my underwear and my yoga capris.. very comfy. i was up and walking all the time. last night i startred to feel much better..and then i woke up again around 1am. i felt really good walked for about 30 minutes and went back to bed. This morning they ran the leak tests.. the blue stuff is really gross but you have to drink it all ... then i had to go down to the machine and get the test that they watch the liquid go down the screen.. it is as gross as everyone says but you just do it.. thankfully i had tea waiting for me up in my room :-)

Hector the nutrisionalist came and talked to me awile about the diet and gave me a schedule to follow for the next forty days.. not too bad he was very nice and for someone like me that doesn' t speak spanish he was the one i could understand easily besides TRISH who was totally amazing. Trish brought my husband tacos the last two nights and took him to the convineince store to get some Snacks.. this is where i'm totally happy i went with trish she took care of my hubby and me.. she does so many things that is not really included in her job.. love her

Holly, so other than the robe what else do you think is a must? I got my robe, sleepers, pj, loose dress, small warmer for broth, heating pad, gas x, iPad, chargers, phone, and other miscellaneous. Are the hospital gowns like the USA ones? Trish has been amazing and I am not even there yet, I am looking forward to meeting her, Dr. Ponce, Krista and her hubby. I cannot wait!