Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fyi, A Pound Of Muscle.....

weighs the same as a pound of fat!!!.. A pound is 16oz or 0.45kg... regardless of the substance... When it comes to fat, they have different densities, thus taking up different amounts of space... That's why 2 people can way the same and look totally different as it relates how big they look and their definition/shape.

I was talking to the school nurse yesterday and I mentioned how the scale isn't moving for me.. and she was like.. well you you are probably building muscle and you know that weighs more than fat... I was just nodded and walked away...

I remember in Physics class my teacher asked, which weighs the most, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead.... Glad I paid attention...

LMAO, I know, I hate it when people misuse the word "weigh" in that particular situation. THEY WEIGH THE SAME!!!!! ARGH! :ph34r:

Who started that misconception??? I've heard it said by SO many people (and believed it myself at one time too). I had a WW leader dispel that myth, some of the people were pissed! LOL!

I'd also add that I'm always irked by people who put on like 3 lbs overnight and then say it's because they are "building muscle" when all they do for exercise is walking 3 blocks. For a woman, it takes like a YEAR to build this much muscle with very hard workouts and serious attention to your nutrition.

Great post... they defo weigh the same...lol... but look totaly different! I think this is the main reason why I am 20+ heavier now than the last time I wore the same size... when I got married it was around 147lb... 18yrs later that dress fits again but I weigh 165lb!!!

My body has changed; developed more muscle - probably due to carrying around a lot of fat!!!

Yep!!!.. Because their densities are different, they take up space or fill in space differently... Like.. try and put a pound of feathers in a pillow case and then use the same case and put in a pound of marbles!!.. LOL

Very interesting. This was an education for me. I was one of those that thought "muscle weighs more than fat." Thank you! And you explained it perfectlly for me to understand.

yeah, it weighs the same, but one pound of muscle takes up a whole lot less space then one pound of fat...thats for sure....and the muscle sure as hell looks better :) blackberry----this definatly applys to you....look at all that muscle, if those arms were filled with fat they wouldnt be looking so great ;)

A lb is a lb. I really like to get rid of by excess lbs. ;)

Muscle does weigh more than fat. Of course, a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weight the same (ha!), but a CUP of muscle would weigh more than a cup of fat, or any such measurement you choose. ;)

And I agree on the "gained three pounds" of muscle thing overnight doesn't make sense. However, hard workouts that tax muscles do result in weight gain for some people because they retain Water while the muscle is healing, and then the Water is released, usually within 24 hours.

LOL...

Cookies, don't make me go into my teacher mode...

I'm probably guilty of saying "muscle weighs more than fat" constantly! LOL I should be saying that muscle takes up less room than fat. Whoops! Bad on me! :)

interesting bc my fitness instructor said that often you do gain weight when you start to work out on a regular basis because muscle is denser and heavier than fat. I saw on the show celebrity fit club that they dispelled the myth and said that they weigh the same. But! I have gained weight in the two weeks I started working out 30 -45 minutes a day with Weight resistance training on top of that. I wonder why, when my caloric intake didnt change and I drank enough Water. Hmmm? BTW it helped get rid of that awful fatigue a month after surgery so there is no way Im going to stop now. :)

Yeah, people just misquote what they are trying to say. It's a density factor. We learned that way back in chemistry in high school. There is dry weight, Fluid weight, space and mass; so many factors. If you asked a person, " which will fall faster if dropped off of a building; a marble or a feather?" the majority of people will say the marble. Truth is (according to physics) they fall at the same rate. Gravity pulls on a mass at the same rate whether it be a feather or a marble. So why does the marble get there first? Density and no air resistance. If there were no air they would hit the ground at the same time. Every substance has a nuclear weight. The higher the nuclear weight the denser the substance. All pounds are created equal, but Fluid ounces or packaged ounces are not. One gallon of Water weighs about 7# where as 2 fl oz. of liquid mercury weighs around 2#. So when someone says, "Muscle weighs more than fat" it is semantics. Are we talking pound for pound or volume for volume? I out weigh my mother-in-law 80 pounds and we wear the same size clothes now. So my weight has to be denser than hers. When I was going to curves years ago, the owner told me when she started she was 160 and a 16. Now she is 160 and an 8. She traded her volume hogging fat pounds for the denser more attractive muscle pounds. This is why we shouldn't get fixated with the number on the scale, but watch the one on the tape measure. #1 science nerd signing off here 

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Yep, in regards to density....to put it another way....... a cubic inch of muscle DOES weigh more than a cubic inch fat. Volume...