Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice and Help Evaluating Stats

Hello Band Buddies, I hope everyone is doing good and maintaining their health. I am asking for advised from the experienced. I have included my stats at the bottom of this post, if someone could help me make sense of this all it would be greatly appreciated.

Today is weigh in day and I am down 1lb this week. I am not complaining but this adds to my confusion. I have been pondering getting a fill for a few weeks. Truth be told I am not sure I need one. I am 4 1/2 months out with no fill. Last week I experienced hunger for the first time. However, there may have been contributing factors:

1. I was on my menses. It has recently returned after 22 months. I am still breastfeeding my 15 month old son and lactating always delays the return of my cycle. Now that It's over, I no longer experience hunger.

2. I was on vacation. I really was not eating properly.

3. My helper has returned to her home country. I do not eat on time anymore. I can not eat with my kids...way to much action going on it it seems as if it will kill me to eat with them. I do not know how banded people can deal with kids and eat. As a result I do not even get my Water in until late in the day and I am eating very late and staying up very late. Before my helper left I did not eat after 8pm and rarely drank after 10pm.

4. I have not excercised in over 3 weeks. At first it was because I was on vacation. Then after I returned it was a combination of my dh packing the kids (my 6 yr old and 4 year old!!!) in the double stroller and breaking it. So without my helper to watch them at the playground/beach while I walk around it, I have not excercised. As of late I just can't fit it into my day. I need to get back on my program.

5. I am a social eater. I do great when I lock myself in the house and turn down invitations, but I was invited to a few social events and ate somethings that were not beneficial to my weight loss.

Those are/were my setbacks. Yesterday, I went back to eating the way I was before all this drama and everything was just great. I had 4 oz of lemon peppewr chicken breast (boneless/skinless) and a cup of salad with romaine lettuce, cucumbers and a boiled egg. I was completely satisfied and was not hungry for more than 4 hours. Today was a very busy day and I did a lot of running around and did not even start on my water until around 7pm and just ate dinner (first meal of the day) around 8pm. It is now 11:15pm and I do not want to eat again but may have some more water. I plan on going to bed after submitting this because I want to see my surgeon tommorrow, insha'Allah.

As much as I do not want a fill (afraid of complications, ie pb, slime, stuck, slip, too tight,etc), I am still contemplating getting one tommorrow (my friend is going in to get hers and I may piggyback on her appointment). The reason being is that because of how hectic my life has been lately (by next month there should be some order insha'Allah because my oldest will be back in school and my 2 youngest will go with me to school, so the boring summer chaos will be over insha'Allah), I will grab quick fixes instead of planning my meals properly. Now that I have typed that out I do not even know how a fill is suppose to help me with that. Sounds like something I will have to work on. Okay, I guess another reason would be to step up the weight loss but to be honest once I start my excercise routine that should happen, insha'Allah. The problem is that I have no idea when I will start back.

I know I have written about this before and was advised to get a fill because the band is not meant to work without a fill, but it has worked just fine for me. I do feel myself slipping and am thinking that maybe the fill will help me. Until recent food was not even an issue for me and my sweet tooth was gone. I'm wondering if the fill will help squeeze that vargus nerve I keep reading about, that sends a message to the brain saying that it is not hungry. I was saving the fill as a life line in the event weight loss slowed down or ceased. I wonder if it is time to cash it in yet?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pre-op 277

1 week 260 -17#

2 week 253 -7#

3 week 250 -3#

4 week 241 -9#

5 week 240 -1#

6 week 238 -2#

7 week 235 -3#

8 week 231 -4#

9 week 230 -1#

10 week 218 -12#

11 week 216 -2#

12 week 216 -0#

13 week 210 -6#

14 week 210 -0#

15 week 210 -0#

16 week 207 -3#

17 week 207 -0#

18 week 206 -1#

19 week 205 -1#

TOTAL = 72lbs

... So ok I guess I know why the weight loss was not much. Actually I'm grateful that I lost 1lb on my vacation because I feared that I gained. I had a Baskin Robbins Brownie Ala Mode Two Scoop Sundae on TWO occassions. A slice of cheesecake and a half slice of chocolate cake from the CHeesecake Factory! pizza, Burgers, Fries, Fried Foods..you name it. The good thing is that I could not stuff myself like I use to, so it still really wasn't that bad....

... Now that I have typed that out I do not even know how a fill is suppose to help me with that. Sounds like something I will have to work on.

I agree with you 100%. A tighter band will not stop you from eating cheesecake, ice cream, chocolate cake.. although it might make you think twice about trying to down a burger or pizza.

I know there are many who feel that more restriction is the key to losing weight, however, more restriction could also keep you from eating good solid Proteins and cause you to rely on higher calorie foods.

I figured up your weekly loss per week average.. you have lost an average of 3.78 pounds per week since you were banded. This is almost twice the average of 2 pounds per week. Even a pound a week is considered to be a very healthy rate of weight loss.

Yes, when we look at the last three weeks of your weightloss we can see that there is a change. And yes, you say you have been hungry. However, in the last three weeks you have eaten far more carbs than Proteins. Carbs will create a vicious cycle: eat carbs, carbs burn quickly, body says "Hey, I'm out of fuel! Send down more food!", eat more carbs, crave more carbs, etc.

You have seen for yourself that when you are selecting the proper foods that you know will give your body the fuel it needs to function well, you are not hungry or out of control.

In my opinion, you're having such a struggle with this because you KNOW that your band has not stopped doing its job. You have stopped doing your part. And you are allowing yourself to wish that tightening down that band is going to somehow take over your mind and make you eat better. Well, it won't. Success with the band does indeed require some logical thinking, some will power, and some determination. It also requires moral support when the long road seems longer than it did when you started. That's why we are all here. Why not try some of these things before you try a fill...

Find someone to be accountable to. Someone who motivates you and is serious about reaching goal and staying there.

Journal your food/calorie/protein intake every day. Get a clear idea of what choices you're making and where you could make some modifications.

Drink a minimum of 64oz per Water per day.

Do some form of exercize for 30 mins each day.

Get the fried foods, flour and sugar out of the house. These are clearly temptations and your downfall. See these foods for what they are - empty calories that will stop you from reaching your goal.

Be patient with yourself. Almost 4 pounds a week is an AWESOME average.

Go back over that list I gave you the link to. Really examine the questions to see what truly needs adjusting. Is it really the band? If it is, then super, go get your fill and feel great about working with your band to achieve maximum results. But if it is another area that needs adjusting, please don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of believing that pinching off your stomach is going to make up for the short comings in other areas. It will not. There is a balance we need to attain with ourselves in order to succeed. Getting control of the emotional side of eating (counseling), getting control of the quantity we can eat (the band with the proper amount of restriction), and exercizing our bodies (walk, swim, bike, etc) is what will work.

I know what a struggle this decision is for you. I'm facing the same one myself. I wish you all the best Kabeerah.

OMG Photonut I LOVE YOU! You are so right on! How the heck did you do that? How were you able to read me like that? You are good gurl! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post (the first half was accidently copied from my profile..I posted that before so I will delete it).

I have commented in red.

Find someone to be accountable to. Someone who motivates you and is serious about reaching goal and staying there.

That's part of the problem...I am a SAHM and rarely leave the house and when I do it is to a social event which always involves FOOD! I like staying home, honestly, it's usually when I leave the house that I have problems.

Journal your food/calorie/protein intake every day. Get a clear idea of what choices you're making and where you could make some modifications.

That's the beauty of it all...my success is lies in the fact that I hate to cook and will eat the samething everyday...Chicken breast and salad..if I stray from that ...TROUBLE!

I drink that pre-breakfast! I am the Water loading Queen. Before each meal I usually down at least one pitcher of water. However, as of late (since my helper left and I find it hard to eat and drink around my kids) I probably not drank as much but I still manage to get in at least 64oz.

My dh is in the middle of a mid life crisis. He is currently in the selfish stage. He now plays tennis before and after he works and by the time he comes home he is tired. Once I get a new stroller for the baby I will put my foot down (his throat or up his a$$:) ) and insist that he drop one of those times from his routine so that he can keep HIS kids and let me finish. You know what he had the nerves to sday to me the other day when I told him my weight loss has slowed down cuz I haven't been excersising? He had the audacity to say, "stop eating so much". Hello, where the heck has he been the past few months? You know how much money I save him on our grocery bill? lol

Get the fried foods, flour and sugar out of the house. These are clearly temptations and your downfall. See these foods for what they are - empty calories that will stop you from reaching your goal.

Oh done deal. Those things aren't in the house. The only evil; food I have allowed in is Peanut Butter and I have some strange addiction to it. I was eating bad on vacation. Since I have been back my problem is that I don't eat all day but I eat late at night and wil graze on huge scoops of Peanut Butter all day.

Thank you so much for your support. I really needed it :)

Go back over that list I gave you the link to. Really examine the questions to see what truly needs adjusting. Is it really the band?

Probably not. I have a lot of things on my plate right now. I haven't even began to tell you, but for some reason I am so comfortable telling you stuff that I might just spill my guts....Ok girl it's the summer and the kids and my friends dh just divourced her...took her kids...kicked her out the country...and then brought them to my house cuz in all his rage he didn't factor in who would raise his kids! Plus, I am the guardian of a special needs kids and did I mention my dh is going thru a mid-life crisis? Wheeee...thanks for lettng me get that off my chest! :)

If it is, then super, go get your fill and feel great about working with your band to achieve maximum results. But if it is another area that needs adjusting, please don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of believing that pinching off your stomach is going to make up for the short comings in other areas. It will not. There is a balance we need to attain with ourselves in order to succeed. Getting control of the emotional side of eating (counseling), getting control of the quantity we can eat (the band with the proper amount of restriction), and exercizing our bodies (walk, swim, bike, etc) is what will work.

I know what a struggle this decision is for you. I'm facing the same one myself. I wish you all the best Kabeerah.

Again thank you for your time and grat advice. I really did not want a fill but other bandsters suggested I was not utilising my band to it's full potential.

That's part of the problem...I am a SAHM and rarely leave the house and when I do it is to a social event which always involves FOOD! I like staying home, honestly, it's usually when I leave the house that I have problems.

Ok, then how about someone online? There are plenty of people here on LBT that would love to have a band buddy to be accountible to. Or join one of the groups that are setting goals and leaning on each other for support and encouragement. The Gone for Good Club has been that for me. I rely on those freaks to keep me in check. :)

That's the beauty of it all...my success is lies in the fact that I hate to cook and will eat the samething everyday...Chicken breast and salad..if I stray from that ...TROUBLE!

Oo! I'm the same way. I once lost 60 pounds on chicken, rice and green Beans. But this time I'm doing it just slightly different. I picked out a few different options for my days, so I have the luxury of switching around what I eat and when I eat it, but basically one day or one week looks just like the rest. The only thing that varies is when I chose to eat one of my optional foods.

I drink that pre-breakfast! I am the Water loading Queen. Before each meal I usually down at least one pitcher of water. However, as of late (since my helper left and I find it hard to eat and drink around my kids) I probably not drank as much but I still manage to get in at least 64oz.

64oz is a very admirable start. But if you can manage to do more it would be even better. In this article, I'll give you the link to it, it states that we all need a base of 64oz and then 8 additional ounces per every 25 pounds we are overweight. Here's the link, its a very interesting article. Check it out: http://www.inch-aweigh.com/water.html

My dh is in the middle of a mid life crisis. He is currently in the selfish stage. He now plays tennis before and after he works and by the time he comes home he is tired. Once I get a new stroller for the baby I will put my foot down (his throat or up his a$$:) ) and insist that he drop one of those times from his routine so that he can keep HIS kids and let me finish. You know what he had the nerves to sday to me the other day when I told him my weight loss has slowed down cuz I haven't been excersising? He had the audacity to say, "stop eating so much". Hello, where the heck has he been the past few months? You know how much money I save him on our grocery bill? lol

Ok that was funny! hehe! Why not get those darling kids in on the healthy attitudes of getting daily exercise too? Make up a silly exercise routine you can do with them to a favorite music or disney CD they have, or pull out an old exercise tape or CD and have them do what they can along with you. Explain to them how it will make their bodies and hearts stronger and healthier, and it will keep them occupied and out of trouble while you are actually getting in your 30 mins per day! And if 30 mins is too much for one go, have a 15 min morning and 15 min afternoon health break.

Oh done deal. Those things aren't in the house. The only evil; food I have allowed in is Peanut Butter and I have some strange addiction to it. I was eating bad on vacation. Since I have been back my problem is that I don't eat all day but I eat late at night and wil graze on huge scoops of Peanut Butter all day.

Oh my god! *laughs* I ate a full tablespoon of peanut butter last night. What the hell?? That's not like me but I had to have it! Or so I thought. All I wound up with was too many calories in the day and the knowledge of something I can easily get by my band. Guess what's in the garbage today?? *grins*

Thank you so much for your support. I really needed it :)

You are so very welcome. I'm happy it helped.

Go back over that list I gave you the link to. Really examine the questions to see what truly needs adjusting. Is it really the band?

Probably not. I have a lot of things on my plate right now. I haven't even began to tell you, but for some reason I am so comfortable telling you stuff that I might just spill my guts....Ok girl it's the summer and the kids and my friends dh just divourced her...took her kids...kicked her out the country...and then brought them to my house cuz in all his rage he didn't factor in who would raise his kids! Plus, I am the guardian of a special needs kids and did I mention my dh is going thru a mid-life crisis? Wheeee...thanks for lettng me get that off my chest! :)

Wow, you really do have a lot of stress built up. If youre like me, and it sounds like you are, food has been my escape and my comfort in times of stress. Might I suggest going through the list of things that are stressing you out, maybe go thru the list with your hubby, and pick which ones you can eliminate from your life. Such as the friends who think its your job to take care of the mess they've made in their lives. I'm sure you love your friend, and her kids, but that's their responsibility to take care of them. You have your own family to take care of. Not always an easy thing to accomplish, but if you succeed (hopefully with your hubby's help and support) life just might become managable again.

If it is, then super, go get your fill and feel great about working with your band to achieve maximum results. But if it is another area that needs adjusting, please don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of believing that pinching off your stomach is going to make up for the short comings in other areas. It will not. There is a balance we need to attain with ourselves in order to succeed. Getting control of the emotional side of eating (counseling), getting control of the quantity we can eat (the band with the proper amount of restriction), and exercizing our bodies (walk, swim, bike, etc) is what will work.

Again thank you for your time and grat advice. I really did not want a fill but other bandsters suggested I was not utilising my band to it's full potential.

People can only give advice based on what they would do, if it were them. It is our responsibility to take all of the suggested and well intended advice and weigh it against our own personal situations. It's great to have a broad view of those options that you have, but you are really the only one who can narrow them down to the one that's best for you. And again, you're very welcome. :biggrin1:

lol. I don't overeat at the sociasl events, but I will make bad choices. It is not often I go out but the vacation was full of such events and I said to heck with it. It's been over a week now so I am slowly getting back on track. Overeating is not a big problem with the band for me. I think last weeks scare on that TOM got me into this funk. Now for some reason I feel like I am dieting whereas before it just came natural.

Photonut...I can believe nut is in your name...as in crazy...lunatic. You are so balanced. You have been a great help and inspiration.