Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 Days Postop And Laying Around

I can't tell if I'm really tired, lazy, depressed, or what. I tell myself each day, tomorrow you're gonna really get moving - but I don't. Prior to surgery, I was pretty sedentary, just sitting a lot so that is what I'm used to. I did get outside and walk yesterday to the corner but that did me in for the rest of the day. I walk around the house periodically. It seems others are back to work, running around, shopping, taking care of little ones, etc. Is it time to push myself yet? I'm still off work until this coming Sunday 5/6, but I work from home on the computer so that's no physical exertion there. Did others take awhile to bounce back? How long? Thanks

I'm 8 days post op. I haven't layed around since last Wednesday. I was told to move because of blood clots. That's a major concern after surgery. Plus I'm not into being sick. I go back to work on 5/7/12. I take it slow, now....because I want everything to heal. Today I'm getting a pedicure, hubby & me are going to SAMs, & I'm going to bible study tonight. I've got to make my life as normal as possible.

Yes...definitely better to get moving...get dressed, put makeup on...get out of the house...walk the mall if you have to. They usually have benches scattered around. It will definitely help everything heal better.

Its kind of counter-intuitive in that the longer you lay around after surgery the weaker you get. Not only does moving around help with blood flow and help clear your lungs, but it also helps you heal faster. You wont magically wake up and feel like walking a mile, but you will get stronger every day. Set yourself small, increasing, goals in how far you're walking and you'll be surprised at how much better you'll start feeling. Good luck!

I felt great for the first week, maybe a bit less. Then I was hit with a huge bout of - not lethargy exactly, but zero energy - which lead to lethargy. It took my body a while to adjust to the sudden changes. I wanted to be up and moving around, I just couldn't. I seriously could not finish a shower without having to sit down (good thing my shower has a bench seat in it!) If I went upstairs, I would have to sit and rest after the stairs, and there's only like 16 of them (I didn't have to do that at my heaviest weight). When we did go out, I would need like 4 breaks between when I started to get ready and when we actually left. We went grocery shopping and I had to get one of those electric cart things - I seriously couldn't even just stand in line and wait. That lasted about a week and a half. Then overnight I felt much better, about 80%. And slowly that went up. It wasn't until about 1.5 weeks ago that I really felt myself again.

Which do you think applies more - are you sort of lacking in motivation, or do you not have the energy to? If it's motivation, maybe treat yourself to an outing of something you usually enjoy. If it's energy, I would say take it easy (not sedintary, but easy) until you feel like you have a little more stamina. You definitely don't want to do too much when you're feeling like everything completely drains you.

Are you getting in enough fluids? Sometimes this can contribute to how you feel. Increase your Fluid intake and start off small. Like going to the mall for a short period of time at first. Continue walking around your house often. Take deep breaths to help with healing. Just keep moving. Move all the time. You can do this, you've come this far. :)

Joni, This is one of those weird things about the human body. The more you do, the more you WANT to do. Make yourself get up and walk just inside the house for now. As you get some stamina back, you'll want to get up and walk some more, maybe even walk around in the yard outside, then you'll want to walk the block again...and again ... and again.

I started out feeling just like you and, after 30 minutes on the bike this morning, I did a few minutes on the elliptical, then tried another new cardio machine. I could have kept going, but my gym partner was ready to head out, so we left. Oh, then I did 24 flights of stairs and I just made myself a to do list as long as my arm. It will all be done by this evening. I'm 8 months out and I cannot believe how high my energy level is these days. But, start slow and you WILL get there. :)

Inning having the opposite feeling lol I have cabin fever yesterday I took my two oldest out shipping and to karate. I can't wait to be cleared to lift heavy things so I can take my twins out ,there still in baby caterers. A Lil walking will help I swear.I'm 8days out

I can't tell if I'm really tired' date=' lazy, depressed, or what. I tell myself each day, tomorrow you're gonna really get moving - but I don't. Prior to surgery, I was pretty sedentary, just sitting a lot so that is what I'm used to. I did get outside and walk yesterday to the corner but that did me in for the rest of the day. I walk around the house periodically. It seems others are back to work, running around, shopping, taking care of little ones, etc. Is it time to push myself yet? I'm still off work until this coming Sunday 5/6, but I work from home on the computer so that's no physical exertion there. Did others take awhile to bounce back? How long? Thanks[/quote']

It will take a while until you can fully make the transition but it has to want to come from you! I feel the same way but I force myself out of the house and go shoppig take kids ro the movies or something that you may have some fun. You have to change the way you go things and remember that didnt work or you wouldn't of gotten the sleeve...this Is a tool and believe me I had a lap band for 6 years and was so miserable and gained it all back plus some extra. You just may be depressed its feels like we're having ro say good bye to food but it's just changing out way of thinking a Neal to us now is a slice Of bacon, few bits of eggs so mourn the old and in with the new set you some goals live again and dance like no one is watching

See if thier is any one you can go walking with. Your going to have to make yourself get up and out. It will make you feel good. Go window shopping. It is spring enjoy and get out.

I had my husband and my kids that woul tell me let go outside and walk or play. That helped now i do not feel good i i do not get my walk in. It will get better

I love you people soooooo much. I almost cried reading the responses of caring and encouragement. I slept for crap last night and truly am exhausted today, but I will get that walk in at least to the corner and I'll set a goal of trying to go a little further each day. It's going to be a nice day out so maybe I'll spend a little tme in the yard as well. Tomorrow, I'm going to hit the big Walmart and do some shopping for upcoming pureed diet. I have been getting in all my Protein, fluids I thought were 64 but they're actually 70, so I'm going to up that. Thank you all for the wake up call!

Are you on myfitnesspal yet. If you are add us and if you not register and add us. It helps having rhat support.