Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60 Lbs (27 Kg) Lost In 5 Months, Almost No Effort At All

I went into the OR roughly 6 months ago. The operation and hospitalization itself were not too painful. I got the surgery for free because I live in a country with universal health care. The wait was long, 9 months, but it wasn't too much trouble.

The first few weeks were rough and there was some (but not a lot of) vomiting. Then I started eating what the hospital's dietician listed for me - 6 meals a day, one in every 3 hours, give or take. I don't follow her guidings too strictly, but those 60 lbs just came off by themselves. I didn't exercise intensively (once a week or less). I didn't abstain from candy or carbs - I ate less of them, not because I was "on a diet" but because I didn't want more than one slice of bread. It was enough.

I'm down 3 sizes and I wear UK size 14 pants now (US size 10, EU size 42). I can shop for clothes on any store and I don't need to go to the plus size section. My face is looking a lot better now. I realize I didn't shed all my excess weight yet, but even if I stay this way for the rest of my life, I'd be very happy. I started making further changes in my life - I'm learning to play an instrument, I date more and really try to be out there instead of hiding.

I hope some pre-op readers pass by here and read this. Go do this procedure. Life's too short.

Great job. I had my sleeve surgery one month ago. I have lost 20 pounds. My experience was similar to yours: not too much pain, kind of tricky learning to eat again, some vommitting if I overeat or eat a "new" solid food too fast. So, it is a learning experience. All in all, I am sure it is worth it! I am looking forward to losing another 60 or more pounds over the next year or so. It is a lifestyle...there is no going back, but that is ok. I am now one of those "little bird eaters" and I am very happy!

I loved your post. Thanks for sharing. I am 8 days postop and feeling a little sorry for myself. I haven't had any vomiting, but I am afraid of my sleeve and what I can and can't put in it (within the guidelines from NUT of course). I can't tell if I'm hungry at all, and I can't tell when I've had enough. It all just feels the same right now. I'm longing for foods I can't have yet. I don't regret this decision, I guess I just wish it would move along faster....your post made me feel better. Thanks again.

Congrats to you Estella! Isn't it wonderful to feel like you're in control?!

Joni, I wondered how you were doing! It does get better, and very quickly! Before long you will be feeling so normal that you will forget sometimes that you had this surgery! :)

I loved your post. Thanks for sharing. I am 8 days postop and feeling a little sorry for myself. I haven't had any vomiting' date=' but I am afraid of my sleeve and what I can and can't put in it (within the guidelines from NUT of course). I can't tell if I'm hungry at all, and I can't tell when I've had enough. It all just feels the same right now. I'm longing for foods I can't have yet. I don't regret this decision, I guess I just wish it would move along faster....your post made me feel better. Thanks again.[/quote']

I feel the same way I can't tell if im hungry or full.

I do get hungry but when I should be hungry. SOme of it is head hunger, but it's good. It does get easier. The hardest job for me is to get in my Water. It feels like I get up in the morning and I'm dehydrated. Then it's like starting over to rehydrate myself. It's been this way for quite a few weeks now and it is work. But it's worth it. I was such a diet coke addict that I would just drink that all day. No problem with liquids then. Now it's such a chore. And my stomach is a little finicky with water. Oh well, I love my sleeve and my skinniness! ;)

Awesome job...

congrats!!!!!!!

Good job. Keep up the good work

It is reassuring to read what every one else has gone through because that means I am "normal"! I felt a little panicky the first week or two, thinking this is PERMANENT! WILL I ever feel good again? Have energy? Why don't I like Water anymore? (Yes, I too was a diet coke junkie). But, it does get better. I have started to forget about my sleeve sometimes, which is a mistake. Like, this morning, I started to eat an egg and toast, talking to my son....didn't pay attention to the size of bites or how much chewing. After a couple of swallows, I realized that I should have gone slower. I was uncomfortable for a few minutes. I am still "in training", learning to eat deliberately and very, very slowly. And, getting in the fluids is a challenge, but that, too has gradually improved. Hang in there.....!!!!