Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Going To Be Up All Night? Later Evening Surgery.

I just got to thinking.. and my surgery is at 8:30pm.. what did you do right after surgery.. am i going to be up all night?? To be able to walk it off.. or did you sleep? Just wondering that way i will try to sleep in a little the day we fly out.. don't know if that will happen with all the excitement.. Also if you brought a small heating pad for your belly.. what kind did you get and where? Was it an electric one? That's the only thing i'm trying to figure out if i need to buy

I slept after my 3 pm surgery. In fact, it's all a blur. It took about 4 hours for the procedure, because it included removal of a Crap-band. I woke up in Recovery just long enough to say, "I'm nauseous," then I went back to sleep. The next day, they got me up to walk. I'm a KS girl, too! I still say that I'm from Overland Park. Good luck! You'll love your sleeve.

Be sure to walk no matter what time of night it is. I was up wallking every 2 hours all through the night. My nurse even laughed as he took off my compression socks and told me that I didn't have to wear them anymore because they were really only for people who wouldn't get up and walk...lol

Can you ask for an earlier surgery time. Just my own opinion but I would not want to be last in line if my surgeon had done 10 procedures before me. If you are going to Dr Ponce, talk to Trish. My friend went to him and he had 10 or 12 surgeries scheduled for the same day. She requested to be first and went in at 7:30 am while everyone was still fresh!

Thanks DD I was really on the fence about that one.. I could've had an early the next day surgery..but i figured if i get it done the same day then i will have more time to recover there.. before my flight home. I did ask how many surgery's he has that day because i had the same concern that i didn't want to be last.. but he is only doing 3 sleev's and a gall bladder before me.. so that made me feel better. I'm still on the fence but i think it's too late to change to the morning surgery.. i did just email Trish and asked her to really make sure that would be okay.. so we shall see. Thanks for your concern and input.. i appreciate it!! :)

I slept after my 3 pm surgery. In fact, it's all a blur. It took about 4 hours for the procedure, because it included removal of a Crap-band. I woke up in Recovery just long enough to say, "I'm nauseous," then I went back to sleep. The next day, they got me up to walk. I'm a KS girl, too! I still say that I'm from Overland Park. Good luck! You'll love your sleeve.

That's great to know.. i guess every surgery is different .. i figured i probably would still be groggy.. Nice to see another Kansas Girl.. take care and Thanks :)

You will do great and it will be nice to have that extra day of recovery. You will have more energy to see the sights on your last day in TJ!

I slept all day and all night waking many times to go pee because of the iv fluids.

They put a pain pump that worked every 10 minutes on me. I hit that bad boy and passed out, only to briefly awaken when the nurses came every 3 hours to take my vitals. Apparently I also spoke to people who weren't there. Fun times.

My surgery was about noon or so and i was out like a light until the next morning when they made me get up and walk!

Thanks everyone for all your input... :)

I had my surgery around 5 or 6 pm and I was up to pee and walk a few hours later. I slept for a couple hours at a time, Couldn't really get comfortable much. My impression was that Dr Ponce starts a bit later in the day , but I could be wrong. I know he did a surgery right after mine .

I think he must do surgery later in the day my surgery isnt scheduled until 830 pm... that's got me thinking about being up all night or not.'.. hopefully I get to sleep and walk it out in the morning

I think he must do surgery later in the day my surgery isnt scheduled until 830 pm... that's got me thinking about being up all night or not.'.. hopefully I get to sleep and walk it out in the morning

It's soooo close! ... I know it was a long day for me lol... I am glad I had surgery on the same day I got there. I was up at 330 am to catch my 6 am flight ( It was an international flight so they say to get there 2 hours before to go through customs) , caught had time to kill in Denver , then got into San Diego around 1 pm .... then getting over the border, all the tests. I know I wouldn't have slept much the night before the surgery , so it was good to get it over with. I slept on and off, which I suspect I would have done during the day or night... The next day I felt good. Much easier to walk around and stuff.

It's soooo close! ... I know it was a long day for me lol... I am glad I had surgery on the same day I got there. I was up at 330 am to catch my 6 am flight ( It was an international flight so they say to get there 2 hours before to go through customs) , caught had time to kill in Denver , then got into San Diego around 1 pm .... then getting over the border, all the tests. I know I wouldn't have slept much the night before the surgery , so it was good to get it over with. I slept on and off, which I suspect I would have done during the day or night... The next day I felt good. Much easier to walk around and stuff.

IT is tomorrow.. yay i'm so excited.. i'm pretty much useless at work today because i'm thinking non stop about tomorrow making sure i have everything done and taken care of...I keep reminding myself to go to the bank and get my cashier's check... I'm packing my bags tonight. Thanks for putting my mind at ease about doing it the same day...I think i probably wouldn't have gotten much sleep either if i had waited till the next morning. I have such a headache this morning.. i feel like i'm detoxing from food in general.. can't wait for that to go away!!

My surgery was at 8:00 am. I woke up really nauseous around 11:45am. Found my pain button, ignored everyone around me, and closed my eyes for a couple hours. That was pretty much the longest time I slept. After that someone was coming in every couple hours to do something to me, and during the night they got me up every four hours like clockwork for vitals, a walk, bathroom visit, and a fun suppository (helped with nausea though). You probably won't get a lot of actual sleep during your time in the hospital, but the morphine button kinda makes you not care. :)