Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey There Gents!

First post for me. I completed my 6 month Doc monitored diet last week, insurance approved in two days, surgery scheduled in 21 days and I woke up this am thinking "holy cra_ what have I done". I think I am most nervous about the first 48 hours; most of the posts have been from the ladies and some of them had some bad reactions. Other than that, I am most looking forward to kicking type 2 diabetes; I am tired of injections, sticks and a handful of pills each day.

CONGRATS! Some people have complications from this surgery but most don't. I have not had any complications except for dehydration 1 time. If you follow your doctor's directions and know that the sleeve is a tool to help you over come a life threatening disease like diabetes, HBP, chloresterol, and other diseases, then you will be just fine. You will love your sleeve. No lies, you will never be able to eat the large amounts you have up to now, but you will eat healthier and smaller portions if you choose to.

I chose this procedure because I had diabetes and high chloresterol and history of heart disease in my family. I have lost weight, put weight back on and have always reverted to bad eating habits. Now I'm loving my skinniness and want to keep it. My blood sugar is down to normal. Hawever, my A1C in 6.0 and when my thoughts were telling me that just a couple of mini heresys bars were ok, my A1C jumped up to .3. Yes, I am addicted to sugar, I can't stop at just 1 so now i don't touch them because of my addiction to sugar. That has been life changing for me in many ways.

It is normal to have thoughts about "What am I doing to my self," before and after wls. Hang in there. this is an awesome ride and worth it. ;)

Dorrie, looking forward to adding "skinniness" to my vernacular someday, congrats on your success and thanks for sharing.

Serious complications are extremely rare. If you have a competent care team and follow their instructions to the letter, the odds of anything going wrong are very slim.

I know it's easy to be nervous about the unknown, but for those of us who've "been there, done that," we can definitely say that the first couple of weeks to a month are the hardest. After that, you just need to learn how to eat to please your new, smaller stomach, and enjoy all the "free" weight loss!

Serious complications are extremely rare. If you have a competent care team and follow their instructions to the letter' date=' the odds of anything going wrong are very slim.

I know it's easy to be nervous about the unknown, but for those of us who've "been there, done that," we can definitely say that the first couple of weeks to a month are the hardest. After that, you just need to learn how to eat to please your new, smaller stomach, and enjoy all the "free" weight loss![/quote']

I am going through Vanderbilt; they are one of the leading hospitals in the US so I am not concerned about competency, you hit it on the head, it's the unknown weighing on my mind. Thanks

It's a great ride. Just rock your sleeve and listen to your body. Stop before you go that extra bite when you are eating and try to be anal about recording everything you eat and drink. It really helps when you look back.

It's a great ride. Just rock your sleeve and listen to your body. Stop before you go that extra bite when you are eating and try to be anal about recording everything you eat and drink. It really helps when you look back.

Will do, thanks!

I'm two days post op and feel pretty good. The day of surgery was a breeze. The second day was terrible but I did battle nausea and gas. But the staff was on top it every minute and made it very tolerable. Just make SURE you do EXACTLY what your docs tell you. Don't experiment, or think what if, maybe etc....you'll be fine.

I have some post in the first forum from preop to yesterday. Take a look. Good luck and keep us posted and updat the man room often.

Congrats on the surgery; I will certainly keep everyone posted!

Welcome to the holy crap club! :rolleyes: None of us are strangers to the myriad of pre op emotions that you are going through and wondering if this really is the right thing. I am, number one, a guy, 64 years old and I was sleeved just over 4 weeks ago. I had no post op surgical complications and I think you will find that they are very rare. I had some dehydration issues and the normal couple of weeks of low energy. I can honestly tell you that right now I feel better, more energetic and optimistic than I have felt in many years! Only you can decide if the sleeve is right for you because there are some trade offs that are irreversible. First... are you ready to change your entire concept of food to being no more than a fuel for your body?

Four weeks out ... CONGRATS!!

Interesting question; I can't recall a time, looking back at a trip, vacation or event where I say to myself " now that was a a great meal" most of my meals come and go. I am no epicurean. I work for a French company and complained about the food the last time I was in Paris so short answer, FUEL, bring it. MY problem, when I have been hungry on the road, the drive through or office canteen means more to me for the savings in time.... That, will be my biggest challenge!!

Thanks