Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I have been reading how some surgeons use drains and some do not. What has been your experience with this?

For example, I understand that Dr Ponce de leon uses drains, while Dr Kelly does not. What is the reason for these choices?

Thx,

Paula

A lot comes down to surgical technique, and why the drain is left in place. Some doctors use a drain for a secondary leak testing technique involving methylblue or another orally injestable method of testing for surgical line leaks.

Realistically, a drain is not something you can simply "ask" your surgeon not to use, as I have seen come up many times in posts over the last several weeks. Penrose and JP (Jackson Pratt) drains are placed for the patient's well being, protection and healing. Realistically, the body can only reabsorb around 30ml of excess Fluid from surgical sites/abcesses/etc a day...this amount varies from patient to patient. If the surgical line along your new stomach is creating a higher Fluid excess than your body can safely handle, placing a drain at the time of surgical close-up is the current standard-of-practice taught by the majority of highly ranked surgeons, both in bariatrics and otherwise. Without a drain (when one should really be used), the patient risks increase changes of abcess, seroma, etc...

I had a Penrose drain placed in my upper left abdominal quadrant during my sleeve surgery. I drained about 60-90cc per day that it was in, and hurt like a mofo! Once it came out...immediate relief. My particular surgeon utelized a drain for the two above mentioned purposes: To channel away surgical drainage excess, and for the purpose of checking for leakage of stomach contents with oral methylblue on the 1st day post-op. It was very gratifying to NOT see blue show up in my little drain pouch, let me tell you!

YES, they are uncomfortable - but a nesesary evil. If you have more questions about specific drain types and their care, feel free to PM me (Wound Care RN - I'll break it down in plain language, this is what I do for a living :D )

CrazyCatLady gave a great explanation. I know my doctor did not use drains. However, I wish he would have. When he removed my bandages a week after surgery I had quite a bit of Fluid come out of the incision above my belly button. It took a good five weeks for that hole to finally stop draining and close up and I did get an infection in the meantime.