Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my sleeve done 3/26 but since then I have been dealing with withdrawals. I have never had an anger problem but find myself getting mad over the fact I can't eat what everybody else eat. I'm glad I had this procedure done but watching people eat fried foods and sweets works my nerves. Have anyone else experienced this?

Not fried foods and such but yes...and these are things you want to work on.

You will deal with more than that. There are going to be alot of things that brig up emotions you will not anticipate.

Contunie to go to counseling if you can - and read, read, read the books that are available.

You should consider getting a sleeve buddy, someone yo ucan talk to on the phone, and text, etc.

Good luck.

It's really frustrating. Both sides of my family base EVERYTHING on food, and none of it is good for you! Going to family events, or heck, even just stopping by my mom's house to visit turned into a really frustrating experience for me in the beginning.

I remember making this huge Thanksgiving spread for my family at just four months post op and hardly eating any of it and while it's true that I wasn't really hungry it's still difficult mentally to adjust. One time we were home with family and everyone was shouting out their choices for restaurants and all I could think was, "Does nobody here care that I can't eat ANYTHING at that restaurant right now?"

And yes, I got plenty mad.

It's hard. You're giving up a lot when you choose this surgery and you're so new to the sleeve that you're not even on a normal diet yet. Later, you WILL be able to choose to eat those foods if you really want to, but in moderation. And you might be surprised to find that some of them don't taste nearly as good as you remember, anyway.

food is more than just sustenance for a lot of us. It's family. It's social. It's fitting in with the people around you. When you find yourself unable to participate in activities you used to take for granted (like eating birthday cake or enjoying pot roast with your family) it's not easy.

Hang in there. It really does get better. MUCH better. Because as you shed this weight you're going to start realizing that food has been controlling you. You're going to feel better and look better and you're going to find that it affects other areas of your life, too. And yes, with time that stomach will heal and you can eat a more normal diet. But in the meantime, it's a great time to work on those food issues we all have that made us big in the first place. Are you really hungry or do you just want to eat?

Good luck, and come back here to vent any time. We all understand this and experience it, too.

~Cheri

I can totally see this happening to me. I was a nut for about 2 weeks when I gave up my beloved Pepsi. LOL

Hang in there. :)

You really don't have a choice ;)

No really, you'll be fine! Don't punch anyone over fried chicken. :P

This is something I have been experiencing as well,at least for the first month.It kept on feeling that by the time I had my knife and fork ready to eat I was full.And my head freaked out about this all the time.My family says even today,it has changed me..in the beginning I was angry but now I am sad.I dont feel sad but they say every time we eat they can see I am sad..lol

Then I decided to eat little bit of everything and be happy with even 1 bites of something I consider as nice.eg.one teaspoon of brown rice,a little sweet potato cant think of more examples now...but everything I make my family I have a taste of..ok not everything but I can if I want to.I just needed the choice.I do not do well on very very low carb so I do eat at least 50 carbs a day...and now my weight is going down very steadily and I feel a lot better about life.

Hang in there,it gets a lot better when you are a little further out and you can eat a little more.

xxo

Everything in this country revolves around food. I've missed so many meal times with my family and my son's said, "Mama I miss you at the dinner table." But should I sit there and watch them eat? lol... um no.

Anything that is worth it, It's not easy. And this sho ain't easy! But I try to remember, I did this to not die of the heart attack that killed my mother at 56 years young, or the one that killed my paternal grandmother at 50 years of youth, nor do I want the diabetes or cancer that killed my dad at 63.

You aren't alone in your frustrations. It's just a period of change, a biggun. Hang in there!

i havent had my surgery yet but i feel im loksing my mind on the pre-op! lol

its only been like 2 days but i got home yesterday and threw my sweater on the floor climbed in bed and cried saying i wanna eat! my husband started laughing. and then i did to. its crazy how attached to food one can become!

im sure itll be hard for me too but i know that once i lose this weight itll make a world of difference!

i wish you good luck! u got this! :D

I totally get it! I was just at a work conference and I swear they fed us something every two hours! It was almost annoying. That and the comments from people along the lines of "that's all you're going to eat?". I explained a couple times that I was trying hard to loose weight and I'd had success with Portion Control and left it at that. I'd have loved to dig into a big Breakfast and I ate too fast the first morning and ended up sliming in the bathroom trying to be inconspicuous as I barfed. No good...

When I get frustrated I try to remember why I've done this and how good it feels to be shrinking.

Sandra - I have to take my hat off to folks who have a brutal pre-op diet because I would have been totally insane if I'd had to do that!

Sandra - I have to take my hat off to folks who have a brutal pre-op diet because I would have been totally insane if I'd had to do that!

well my doc wants 2 week liquid Protein diet prior to surgery. NO food. they told me drink 3 Protein shakes a day to replace 3 meals a day and Water in between. brutal much? lol. but since i gained 14lbs since my inital doc consul and i WAS 293 at that time...then i got up to 307 from telling myself im going to enjoy food now since its kinda like goodbye to it...lol. bc of that i decided to do an extra week of Liquid Protein to take off what i gained plus what the doctor expects (-10lbs) so all together i need to lose 20lbs. yikes! im at 304 this morning so hopefully ill get there =]

ps. im hungry lol

I've been considering doing 3 weeks of Protein Shakes and liquids instead of two. I don't know how much harder that would be but it would be nice to get a head start. I know the first few days are hell from what others have said but most say once you get beyond the 3rd day you adjust and it's not so bad. If anyone has done 3 weeks of liquid was the 3rd week a lot harder than the 2nd?.