Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone's Throat Feel Weird?

My throat feels weird during the night and in the morning. I can't explain the feeling. It's been slightly sore too. I know the first thing to think is acid, but I've been battling acid reflux for 5 years, and it feels different. Maybe it's related, I don't kniow.It's been feeling this way since the banding.

Also Anyone have suggestions on how to sleep in an upright position? I have acid reflux before banding and it has not gone away.

I use 3 pillows to prop myself up, but I find in the morning I've slipped down flat, or I have a stiff neck.

I can't raise the bed as it keeps my SO awake, and he needs to sleep well too.

Thanks!

Pillows definitely will NOT do the job, unfortunately. :) You can buy elevators that lift the entire top of the bed without it being drastically noticeable. Which may be better for both of you.

Ok this is a bit gross maybe but do you have a stuffy nose at all at night? I have to take Rx Rhinocort every night before bed or my post nasal drip problem leaves me with a sore throat. Just a thought, don't know if it helps at all.

My friend bought that fancy bed that raises the head and knees like the hospital beds because she has had 4 back surgeries.

My throat not only felt weird but my voice seem to change after the first fill, it was really freaky. Not to worry though everything went back to normal.

Thanks for the replies. :-)

I woke up in the middle of the night and did feel the reflux backing up. It's strange reflux, less acidey than what was a few years ago.

I tried raising the bed, but the slats in my bad fall off if I do.

There are no pillows out there made for us weirdlings?

:-p

We have patients put pillows between the mattress and box springs at home. Are you currently taking a anti-reflux med? If you are it doesn't sound like it's working-You may need to up the dosage or change.I had to switch to Nexium while I was pregnant and it made a huge difference. My doc warned me about esophogeal erosions and ulcers if it remained untreated. Hope you're better soon.

The only difference that I felt in my throat was alot of like swelling in the back upper portion right after surgery and right after my first fill...Now during this time of year it stay sore due to the sinus drainage but I havent found out how I am going to deal with that yet

Maybe it isn't reflux - but sinus drainage as others have mentioned? I, too, wake up with a very sore, dry throat often - if I don't take medication for my allergies -- and I'm not banded -- I take a prescription called Semprex-D - the important thing is to take BOTH decongestant and antihistamine in a combined pill - one or the other won't do it probably....it dries me out at night but not to the point that I can't swallow - the best way to take it is in the morning to keep the sinus drip at bay throughout the day - hope it helps you

Avilla, I have one more thought-have you been tested for sleep apnea? Before I was treated I would often wake up with a very sore throat-especially during allergy season-stuffy nose and snoring makes for alot of mouth breathing. Mo has a good point about allergies-the only thing I would add is that the "D" in alot of allergy meds is pseudoephedrine (a decongestant) but it is also a stimulant and can keep some people up at night. One alternative if it does affect you that way is to use a nasal spray like flonase or rhinocort at night and the decongestant/allergy med during the day. Hope this helps.

You can buy a wedge pillow. I used one for years with my reflux. I also have apnea and wear a Cpap. Since problems cause me a lot of throat problems. I've been banded since March and I no longer have any problems with reflux. I don't even take meds for it anymore.

I have had acid reflux for years, even prior to being banded. I was hoping it would heal itself after being banded but it did not. I also deal with allergies during this time of the year, drainage and in the band it is not good. I take 2 prevacids a day, 1 during the day and 1 at night just before going to bed. I also take nasonex(sp?) spray which helps with the drainage but if I forget like I did last night, I do pay for it. My throat was very sore last night & this AM and I really had a hard time sleeping.< /p>

I have a big pillow that kinda sits you up along with 2 other pillows and it really takes some getting use to but it helps greatly. If I am just to uncomfortable, I get into my recliner and sleep there all night. Not the best sleep but with my schedule I do need some sleep.

After almost a 100lbs gone, I still have to deal with this but it's better than having the 100lbs so I deal with it. I have my good and bads nights. I wish you luck and if you are not on meds, please see your doctor, this will help quite a bit.

Leenerbups, I'm sorry you're having problems and unfortunately I have no advice. I just wanted to say your pic of Will Ferrill with that cowbell is hilarious. That was one of SNL's funniest skits ever!

hey all, thanks so much.

I'm on Protonix and Nasonex, but the weird throat this is getting worse. In fact, it keeps me in a very light sleep at night. I was supposed to see the doc today, but he had to cancel due to surgery.

I have a lot of mucas in my throat, at times so much I'm trying to swallow it down, ccoughing, and I'm clearing my throat a lot all day. At night, towards the end of the day, I'm sore from coughing and clearing my throat all day. There is some soreness around the band area too. I can feel this all during my sleep.< /p>

I'm thinking I may have been eating too fast and too much since my very first fill last month.

Suggestions, experiences?