Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Did You Wish You Knew Before Surgery

For those of you who are post op what do you wish you had known before the surgery?

I wish I knew the dr would cut through a muscle in my side. That pain was so unbearable that day 4 post op I went to the hospital!!! I had no idea!!! After that I used heating pads and favored that side a few weeks! It's fine now 10 weeks PO

Interesting responses! I'd say the biggest thing that I see posted about over and over and over again is the speed of your weight loss.

Meaning: you won't lose every time you step on the scale. Don't expect to get to goal in nine months. You will sometimes step on the scale and see the same number for days on end. Sometimes you'll also drop large amounts even when nothing in your diet or exercise has changed. Sometimes you'll be doing everything right and stall out for weeks on end. Sometimes your weight will jump up a few pounds, just to mix things up.

It's okay. It's normal. It's part of the process.

Relax, do the right things and you will reach your goal weight. That's what I wish I had known. It's what I wish every new sleever knew, because I see the same posts over and over again with people driving themselves absolutely crazy because they can't control how they lose the weight!

~Cheri

This is a great topic can't wait to read more. I'm haven't had surgery yet so can't contribute.

I can honestly say....I obsessed over the whole thing so much- there was not ONE surprise before, during or after. I can't think of anything. I spent countless hours of research. (mostly on this website!)

That I have to give myself shots twice a day

What did you have to give yourself shots for? This isn't something I have heard before & I am now worried about!!!

I wish I could have been more mentally prepared to deal with my food addiction. I was an emotional wreck the first week.

What did you have to give yourself shots for? This isn't something I have heard before & I am now worried about!!!

To prevent blood clothes... They gave me like 3 boxes of pre prep seringes!!!

Is that something everyone has to do... give themselves shots to prevent blood clots?

Have all of you had to do that?

I had my surgery one week ago and I wish I had been told not to stress of Protein, that getting my liquids in would be VERY hard, and most importantly, I would have to sleep on my back for awhile. I also wish someone would have told me just how little (1 to 3oz) I can get in at a time. The one thing I did learn and do and I know works is walking. I walk 3-5 miles a day since surgery. Usually after drinking or eating pureed food. My husband goes with me and we do .5 to 1.0 miles at a time. It is the ONLY thing that has helped with the gas pain and I noticed that I healed much faster because of it. I am sure there will be other things I will find that I "wish I knew" but as of know, it's gone really well.

Is that something everyone has to do... give themselves shots to prevent blood clots?

Have all of you had to do that?

I don't know if everyone but my surgeon prescribe that to me there are like 3 boxes of pre prep seringes and I have to put it on my tummy or in any fat area :(

The shot thing is fairly new....when I had knee surgery back in 2010, I was presribed those same shots every 12 hours for 6 days, that crap was expensive thanks to my insurance....

Its a preventive thing doctors are doing when he or she has to remove tissue or anything from you....it prevents you from forming clots in that area and it traveling...which is VERY dangerous...when he told me that, I didnt complain anymore, my aunt reminded me every 12 hours to take the injection or she would find a place on my body and give it to me...lol

So I complied...