Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bcbstx Approved!

Yesterday I found out I was approved by my insurance for VSG. I submitted on April 2 and had been calling just about every other day to see if it had been reviewed. When I called yesterday the women for BCBSTX told me, it looks like according our records blue cross will NOT cover the surgery! I was like what really? Then she retorts, oh I apologize I read that wrong, according to our records blue cross has approved medical necessity for the surgery, you have been approved! For a second there I was devastated but when she clarified I kind of freaked out! I had been preparing and jumping through all of the insurance hoops for 6 months and I can't believe that it is really happening! I am still in shock, but can't wait for Monday morning when my Dr office opens so I can actually schedule a date!

Whoo hoo! Congrats!! :D

What hoops did u have to jump through? And what part of Texas do u reside? Cuz I'm a military veteran and live in Texas also trying to have the procedure done

I too have bcbs tx and I was denied coverage. What was required for your approval? I am just about to start my journey starting with my first doctors visit May 16th.

Ris26

Congrats!

Congratulations!!! (and good luck)!!!

What hoops did u have to jump through? And what part of Texas do u reside? Cuz I'm a military veteran and live in Texas also trying to have the procedure done

The normal hoops of 6 months supervised diet and the other evaluations. But I found out that the supervised diet was no longer required 5 months in so I decided to submitt to insurance and take a chance! I live in the Austin area.

I too have bcbs tx and I was denied coverage. What was required for your approval? I am just about to start my journey starting with my first doctors visit May 16th.

Ris26

Requirements can all be located on the bcbstx under providers, standards and requirements, and medical policies then search bariatric. To summarize bmi 35 or over and 2 comorbities high blood pressure,

I have BCBS of Michigan. I had to pay $1100 up front-copay. I thought this was a deal. My BMI was just below 40, but have hypertention, sleep apnea and elevated A1C. Also have a lot of joint problems.These problems allowed me to have coverage for the major part of the surgery. I have not received the billing, so I don't know the total cost of the surgery. I have lost 12 pounds this first 10 days post op.

Congratulations!