Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Gotta Come Clean - I've Altered My Pre Op Diet

I gotta come clean. I have had to alter my pre op diet. I was becoming physically ill and this is only day 3. I have decided that instead of a strictly liquid diet I'm going to go with the Atkins Induction Phase. I couldn't even make it thru the first day without becoming physically ill. As such, I have been sticking with basically high Protein Drinks for two meals and 1 extremely low carb meal (maily lean meat, cheese, or eggs thus far). I am careful to keep my daily carb intake under 20 grams. It appears to be working because I am on day 3 and I've already lost 5 lbs. Don't get me wrong, I am still pretty hungy but it is more bearable. I will probably switch to all liquid about 3 days prior to surgery but for now, this is the only way I believe I truly stick to this pre op diet and shrink my liver. So that's it. I've come clean. Don't judge me. :o)

This is exactly why I am questioning my choice in surgeon. I could go to a surgeon who requires a 2 week of REAL food, meat/veggie/protein/low carb or a surgeon that doesn't give you an option of which Protein to use and is 2 week liquid. I am 2 months into my supervised 6 month diet so I have time to change my mind. They are both highly regarded surgeons and insurance pays. This gives me more to consider. Best of luck to you.. I will follow your posts to see how you do. :)

This is exactly why I am questioning my choice in surgeon. I could go to a surgeon who requires a 2 week of REAL food, meat/veggie/protein/low carb or a surgeon that doesn't give you an option of which Protein to use and is 2 week liquid. I am 2 months into my supervised 6 month diet so I have time to change my mind. They are both highly regarded surgeons and insurance pays. This gives me more to consider. Best of luck to you.. I will follow your posts to see how you do. :)

I know I am not a doctor but I think it's absolute insanity that you would put an obese person who is having weight loss surgery on a liquid diet. Hell if I could do that, I wouldn't need surgery would I? And don't try to tell me it's to prepare me for what's to come after surgery. I'm quite sure I'll have no problem following the liquid diet post surgery because my stomach won't allow anything else. I've been researching this like crazy and have not been able to find any info on why liquid is better than solid. Oh well, I'm gonna do my combination of the two but focus my main intake on the liquid as much as possible. I've actually done Atkins before for my wedding and dropped 15 lbs in two weeks eating WAY more than I am now so I'm not worried. Besides, I have some tea that will clean my colon out like nobody's business pre surgery. LOL

I haven't started my two week liquid yet but a friend at work did. She said the first 2 or 3 days were the worst and then after that it wasn't so bad, you got used to it and your body adjusted. I figure that I'll get through it. I want my surgery to have the highest chance of success and I will abide by the rules which I understand shrinks my liver and reduces those risks. Each person has to make their own decision but I've tolerated many extreme diets on the short term so I can manage this two weeks of Protein Drinks just like I did those other fad diets.

LOL @ Fatty: Although our weight issues are not a laughing matter, I couldn't help but chuckle at your screen name:-) @ Chell: Like Fatty said, any surgeon that requires you to be on liquids for sooooo long is questionable. Remember, this is life changing so if you don't feel something is right or you don't understand, ASK, ASK, ASK. And if you don't get clear and concise answers, look elsewhere. Best of luck to the both of you in your weight loss endeavors!

The diet is designed to shrink your liver for surgery. This is needed because the liver can get in the way during surgery. The diet is to prevent it from being nicked during the procedure and bleeding to occur. It is very important to follow the diet you are put on due to your BMI. It is not designed to torture anyone although it sounds like it. There are medical reasons for the diet.

Chell, my preop diet prescribed by my doctor is very close to what you have switched to. 2-3 Protein shakes and one small high Protein meal per day. It was doable enough that I actually started almost a month before surgery, and lost 20 lbs to boot. To help it along, I logged every bite on myfitnesspal and kept daily totals to 1200 calories or less.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I haven't started my two week liquid yet but a friend at work did. She said the first 2 or 3 days were the worst and then after that it wasn't so bad' date=' you got used to it and your body adjusted. I figure that I'll get through it. I want my surgery to have the highest chance of success and I will abide by the rules which I understand shrinks my liver and reduces those risks. Each person has to make their own decision but I've tolerated many extreme diets on the short term so I can manage this two weeks of Protein drinks just like I did those other fad diets.[/quote']

I did the 2 week liquid diet and if u get some prenatal Vitamins by day 3 you are ok. Trust me its better to have the carbs & sugars out now

For what.it's worth, my surgeon only required 7 days of pre-op diet which was 5 days.eating low carb high Protein like the south beach diet phase 1 & only 2 days liquid. My weight during pre-op was 316 & I'm 5'5 so that will give you an idea of my BMI. I had no complications & my liver looked perfect he.said. I also don't really understand such.a strict diet pre-op if a lot of surgeons do the low carb thing instead. So confusing that.every.surgeon has a different set of rules!!

I had this very same question a few days ago as I'm on week two of my pre-op diet. My surgeon said two to three Protein Shakes a day and one lean cuisine or healthy choice meal with a small salad. I'm not clear on why some surgeons say all liquids and some don't?

My husband and I are both in the medical field and we researched this over and over. My Dr requires 2 weeks of only liquids. Knowing they say it's to shrink the liver, but it actually takes the liver more than 2 weeks to shrink, I think it's a personal preference by the Dr. And Yes I have cheated

CHELL, I'm not judging you one bit! I'm more than irritated that some surgeons have little or no preop diets and others are super strict. I'm starting my diet in a couple days and I'm a nervous wreck. I have a family to care for and I'm scared of feeling starving. I'm interested to see how you do!

If the surgeon cannot be trusted with the preop diet then I surely would not allow them to cut me open and remove my stomach. If you do not understand the medical reasons why a doctor does something just be proactiv and ask. I am sure they have a good medical reason why they are doing what they do and if they do not then find a new doctor that you think has a good reason for the preop diet. :)

I think the pre op diet depends on how heavy you are from what I've heard and read from others. Some have only 3 days others had 2 weeks. I was a big girl rolling in at 399. I stuck to my pre op diet one week out of two. EAS Carb control shake in the morning and lunch. Water And Sobe in between then turkey for dinner with salad. If i got hungry between that i'd add sugar free Jello or Protein shake.My body eventually got used to it. I cheated one day and had pizza and popcorn at night at my favorite movie dine in place but that's about it. Lost 20 pounds and it was all worth it. Was so scared my liver would be too big and my surgeon would call off the surgery. But turns out my liver shrank to normal size, my surgeon was so stunned when he operated on Tuesday 4/10. He was so proud of me and liver, I felt like a champ lol. liquid pre op is hard, no joke but you can get through it. Sometimes you have to tweak it to customize it to fit you.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I had a very experienced and good surgeon and he never made me do liquids... Just a high Protein and green veggie diet. I did 2 weeks of meat, cheese and eggs and all was well. I've done a liquid diet... I did an all liquid diet for a whole year a few years back for weight loss. It did get better after the first few days and after a couple of weeks, I could sit next to my room mate and watch her eat pizza without even a twinge. Your body does adjust, but I would never do it again. I did lose alot of weight that way, but it came right back on.