Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Happens If You Gained Weight?

hey all

so my appt is still on for May 10th. so i have time to try and lose as much as possible, i officially start my liquid diet april 25/26th. The thing is, i have about 2 weeks until i start my liquid diet and i find myself giving myself some lee-way (dont know how its spelled) and letting myself eat normally for now until the 25th. but my question is what if you gained or stayed at the same weight from the initial surgeon consultation. will they deny youif you didnt lose anything ? not sure how that works

thanks!

Hi! My doc was adamant that I was losing weight. So much so that he was known for canceling surgeries the day of. I would make an effort to lose something. IMHO it's better to only lose one pound than gain something. I wish you the best of luck!

Try not to gain, surgeons hate that! You only have to lose if he/she specifically told you to. They would have made the amount you need to lose very clear.

Like the above poster said, try to be at least one pound down when you go back just so you don't get in any trouble.

I was on a pre op diet, which I followed religiously... and gained on. My surgeon said it was ok, that the diet was meant to shrink my liver, not specifically for loss.

hey ladies! thank you for all your input! i just called my surgeons office and i asked how much i weighed in at when i had my consultation with the surgeon for the first time back in january. They said it was 293. sad thing is...im sure ive gained. i also asked about how much hes expecting patients to lose before surgery....she said about 10 pounds. so even if i can get to like 285 itd b nice. ughh i think im like 310 probably.

ima prolly needa lose 25lbs...and my surgery is in a month exactly. greeeeeaaaaat (<--sarcasm) :mellow:

I was told not necessarily that I had to LOSE weight but that I couldn't gain any...or risk having surgery cancelled. I have lost about 7 lbs and I am not even pre op dieting yet...I had to do a diet class..the NUT weighed me that day and said not to gain any weight from there on...all I have been doing is cutting out soda and drinking unsweet non carbonated drinks like splenda in my unsweet tea instead of sugar...and that helped me lose the 7 lbs..I was drinking my calories a lot!!