Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Family Stressing Me Out 2 Days Before Big Day. Help!

My parents are driving me crazy. I'm single and 25 so I don't have a DB or DH to come with me to the surgery so I choose them. My mom keeps trying to do a psychological evaluation on me (cause she has a stupid degree in psychology) and its really pissing me off LOL. And my dad made me so mad yesterday, I asked him if my gut looked a little smaller cause I noticed a difference and he was like NO, 10 pounds isn't gonna do it. It really set me off. I had actually lost 15 pounds so i was actually proud of myself. It really ticked me off so I got up and left.

Then they keep pressuring me to talk to their friend who just had surgery because they think I don't know what to expect. It's really stressing me out. There are so many emotions going through me and the main reason I became obese is emotional eating. I literally got in my car yesterday was on the way to the movies because that's my happy place. Was ready to get a large popcorn, nachos and large diet dr pepper to go to town on. BUT I turned around mid route and said NO not worth it. So I came back home had some Water and watched New Girl all night.

I really want to tell my parents not to go on Tuesday for the surgery. I just rather be by myself and stay at my lonely apartment verses their house for the remaining days of recovery. I'm the type where if you irritate me I'll shut you out and avoid you for days to give myself space.

I'm supposed to go to my parents tonight for Easter dinner and I don't want to. I actually thought about lying about changing my date for surgery so they won't go but that would make me a terrible person. I'm just so upset and frustrated. And I know my mother will hate me for that if I do. I really don't wanna go into this thing with all this drama.

Also, I've had just water today is it ok for me to eat a palm sized meal of Easter dinner tonight? Thanks for listening to me vent.

Happy Easter!

Go and enjoy Easter and ignore the drama! You made some great choices about how you handle emotions and you will want family around after despite their negativity. Stay strong and focused! This is YOUR life. You can do it! My mom and dad were the same way and offered everything to get me to not have the surgery but I am anyway...on Tuesday. Best wishes to you!!

Thanks Arj, I've seem to calm down a bit. Just trying to clear my head. I had my little Easter dinner and now having crystal light to relax. Weather is nice out. I just wanna make it to Tuesday (my surgery date too)and be in peace lol. My parents are working my nerves but I know they mean well. Like my mom says " you can pick your nose but you can't pick your kinfolk".

Sent from my iPhone using VST

My parents were anxious about my surgery also. Now that I am 4 months out & 50 lbs down I am so glad I did it anyway. Spent time with my parents this week & they both are so proud & have said it was a good choice. You'll want some help that first week - once you are out of surgery your parents will chill out. :)

GIRL! You turned your car around and went back home!!!!! You deserve some major props for that one!!! Try to limit your time with your parents if its causing you stress. You could just explain that you need some alone time to get your mind ready for the surgery. It'll all be ok and you'll be proud of yourself in the end. Hang in there. :)

Yeah, definitely get some alone time before the surgery so you can just chill out and release those stress hormones!!

I am so proud of you for turning your car around and not giving in. Tell mom you are ready psychologically or you would have went ahead and ate all that popcorn and the nachos and thrown in some chocolate too!!

Good luck on Tuesday and my prayers are going up for the Lord to guide your surgeons hands and instruments and that your surgery will go perfectly and your recovery pain will be minimal!!

And if you want I will be happy to come up to the hospital on Tuesday evening to visit if you would like - just to see another face that has been through what you are going through - one month out. If you want me to just send me a personal message. ;)

God bless girl! -_-

Your parents are just worried but I know it's a lot right now because you have your own concerns and hon tomorrow night you will probably be more worried and second guessing yourself. Completely normal...we all did. Take this time for yourself . If you are alone have Water and everything you need near by you. It's going to be difficult to get yourself up because your stomach will be sore. I slept in a recliner in the beginning it was easier to get out of. Try this ...lay in bed tonight and try get up by not using your stomach muscle. Try not to do a sit up. Use your arms. This will help you come up with how you need to sleep or what things you need around to help you get up. I'm just saying to try it since it sounds like you may be at home alone and getting up sometimes is hard if you don't have help. I also live in San Antonio and if you need anything let me know.

I completely understand, and you handled it so well. You made a conscious choise to do the healthy thing, and you should be as proud of that victory as any pound you lose!

Gotta tell ya, I haven't told anyone except my hubby, of course, and my oldest son, who is the alternate contact. I feel guilty not telling my daughter and her twin brother, but I just don't feel like getting judged, and they are 27, at that age when they know everything, and we are just short of dottering senility! (LOL) I do remember when my mom had a boob job and I didn't find out until 20 years later, and then I was so angry with her I could have spit nails, but now I do understand.

First, congrats on making a decision that will totally transform your life... Next, your parents love you and perhaps in a "strange" kind of way, they are trying to be helpful... I would sit down w/ them and tell them exactly how you are feeling... Let them know that you appreciate them, however, explicitly state what the issues are.. Trust me, you don't want to be irritated post surgery... I believe if you do that, they will understand...

I'm definitely proud of you for not turning to your old frenemy and turning around... You're on the right track.. Keep up the good work and many blessings to you!!

*hugs*

It'll be over before you know it!

And like others said, great job on stopping yourself before binging at the movies! Way to start building good habits before you're even sleeved!

Thank you ladies, I really appreaciate the support. Tomorrow is the big day ahhhhhh!!!!

YEAH!!!! I'm excited for you!!!!

YEAH!!! I'm so excited for you!!! I'm saving a seat for you on the Loser's Bench!!!

Thanks FavoredOne. I'm so excited, I'm ready to get the ball rolling. It'll be nice to be able to fit into my AKA sorority blazer again. I've been too embaressed to order a bigger size :( . I also have a clothes wishlist to achieve this year LOL