Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Issues with Wellbutrin XL?

Just wondering if anyone is or has been taking this med and had complications. My wife has just started taking it and she says it feels like her band has tightened to the point that very little goes down. It also seriously suppresses(?) her appetite, to the point that she has to force herself to eat something even though she doesn't feel hungry.:help:

Thanks

Danny

Hi. I didn't have the band when I took this medicine. But, I took it for smoking cessation some years ago and remember that one of the side effects tht was often reported was decreased appetite. It's powerful stuff. Doesn't surprise me that it's affecting her band. I had to stop taking it because I started having heart palpatations. Eek. She should talk to both her PCP and Band surgeon straight away, I'd think. Luck!

CCoco

I didn't find that it tightened my band all that much, but it did completely diminish my appetite for the first couple of weeks. It'd get to be about 3:30 in the afternoon and I'd realize I hadn't eaten anything. On the upside, I'd been in a stall, and dropped 10 lbs that month.

If her band is super tight, she might want an unfill, but I would guess that it would kind of loosen up when her body gets used to the drug being there every day. I kind of miss the appetite suppressant thing, lol.

Just a reminder-do not crush or split this pill!!!! It is a time release (XL)Wellbutrin and can cause seizures. Call your doc and get another dosage so she can swallow or cut it (if she wants to keep on it). Or another anti-depressant. I am on it and the honeymoon of the appetitie suppressant value wore off in about a month. Good luck and don't cut it or crush it!

I am on a similiar one and I had the decreased appetite but it only lasted 3 to 4 weeks then I would have to say the complete opposite happened. I was ravenous.

I took the XL for about 2 doses, then called the doc for the regular Wellbutrin so I could cut it. Much better, except I got hives after taking it for about a week 1/2? I think so I quit it. Haven't tried it again yet.

My Dad is on it again. He quit smoking and gained loads of weight. His doc said it helps with appetite (my doc said the same thing) but I didn't really get that with the dosage interruptions and the hives...

anyhow, she should switch to a pill she can cut, for sure.

I am on it and have never had any problems with my band or the dosage of 300mg time release. The appetite thing well, I'd have to stop taking it so I could tell because I have not really paid much attention to that and have not really lost a lot of weight either since the band or the medicine but I am not gaining. I also had a hysterectomy, the doctors seem to think this may have something to do with it. I don't know I just keep going.

They're actually using this drug in trials for obesity so there is a definite hunger-type suppresant component in it. I personally love it because it completely diminishes my sweet tooth. There is also the option of taking the "old" Wellbutrin which comes in 100 mg dosages.

kelli

I have been on Wellbutrin XL for over a year now. With all of these sorts of medications, there's a "breaking in" period. It can often take 3 - 4 weeks to tell if the meds are really doing their job, and your body can go through all sorts of changes during that time. Trust me, your wife doesn't have to worry about having zero appetite for the rest of her life. Just tell her to enjoy the freedom from food obsession for now, because her appetite will return sooner than she thinks.

I took this drug years ago in my unbanded days. Yes, at first it helped with my appetite - and it also kept me from sleeping at night. Definately had a 'pick-up' in it.

regarding your question about it causing restriction - when I take my diet pills, I notice an increase in restriction. Even Water gurgles as it goes down.

intresting.

I've been talking it about two months and love it. It does suppress my appetite and has helped me lose more weight. It has removed all my depression symptoms, too. I don't feel hungry, either and forget to eat until 3 in the afternoon sometimes. Then I can't find anything I want. If all else fails, I drink some milk or a Protein shake. If I were at goal, I might worry but I am not so I go with it. I love this nonconcern over food. Did I mention the colossal improvement in my sex drive????

Maybe your wife can talk to her docs and lower the dose. Also side effects like this sometimes lessen over time.

It's a great drug for depression. Hope your wife gets what she needs. By the way, I take 450 mg.

SleepyJean,

If you don't mind can you tell me how many mg. you take? I take 300 and I still feel some depression and I am wondering if that is not enough for me. I did have a hysterectomy in March of o5 and I have only lost 15 pounds since my surgery in 6/05 the worst part is that I take Meridia 15mg. too and exercise. I'm really taking the regimen very seriously and have really been paying attention to real hunger pains. I just have to keep trying and never give up at least I'm 15 down and none up but I would love to be at least 50lbs like all my friend in even less time than me. Don't feel bad just keep me going thanks for your informations.

Sunflower-someday I'll be one!

I'm fireman20 wife and I want to start off by saying THANKS to all of you for giving me feed back on this medicine. I also want to say thanks to my DH for caring enough to post in order to help me. I've been on Wellbutrin XL for over 3 weeks and I notice the changes slowly. I'm still have days that I wonder why I didn't end it all, than I remember my DH and beauitful daughter. I will get better I won't let this destore me.:think