Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweets, Snacks, Sneaks And Lies

So how do we ask for this to become a sticky? I think its a great post that I might want to read and read, specially when the going gets though!

Thank you so much for all your great responses to this post. When I wrote it, I was having a really bad food day. I had a big cortisone shot the other day, and I've just been wanting to eat and sleep ever since. After I wrote this, I got up, put on my bathing suit, and went to the gym. After posting this reminder of my goals and then swimming, I just felt totally positive again. We can ALL DO this, but we have to "walk the walk," not just "talk the talk."

You have quite a talent with words, and how did you read my life/mind anyway? You are right though, if we want to be successful, we have to be honest with ourselves. I know I didn't get here by some fluke, I walked my big butt right into this predicament with my eyes/mind closed, and the only way out now is to be opened. Opened to a new way of eating, thinking, and coping.

Thanks for a great post!

Thanks for this. I'm 3 weeks out now and just started on soft foods today. I was sitting here, planning all the wonderful things i can now eat, now that I[m off the liquids. Thanks for a smack back to reality. I settled for some egg whites. :)

So how do we ask for this to become a sticky? I think its a great post that I might want to read and read, specially when the going gets though!

I don't know, but I love that you'd want to read it over and over again! I keep a Word file on my computer, and sometimes I just copy and paste things from this board so I can read it whenever I want to, Thanks for the feedback!

Let's share some personal truths about the process here.

At 9 weeks post-op' date=' I have found one thing to be consistently true: I have to take a total no-BS approach to this process or I won't be successful in the long-term. After a very long night of thinking of my past, my present, and my future, after confronting all the habits that got me into this place, I realized that to be successful I need to be CONSTANTLY DILIGENT about sweets, Snacks, sneaks, and lies.

Sweets: It's possible that sugar really was the glue that held me together through all I've been through over the years. I love sweets. I still love sweets. I think about chocolate chip Cookies for way too many moments each day. Unfortunately, it won't take too many sweets to add on hundreds of calories each day. One McDonald's cookie is 160 calories! So... my sweets... you have to go. But wait! I'm supposed to have 4 Calcium chews a day! Those are like Starbursts and make nice treats! However... this means I'm still in the habit of popping sweets all day. From now on, I'll be chewing those with my Protein drinks. It's a slippery slope from popping calcium chews to popping real candy, so the habit itself has to go.

Snacks: My nutritionist gave me a meal and Protein plan. Unfortunately, I have always been a huge fan of what I call "boredom grazing." Passing the fridge? Maybe there's something interesting in there! Just returned from shopping? Must be time for a snack! Going through a drive-through for a drink? A small fry order wouldn't hurt much. Sigh... If I have to avoid the whole main floor until I break this habit, I will do so.

Sneaks: I'm not going to have a snack. I'm just going to have an olive. I'm done eating dinner, and I'm full, but I think I can squeeze one more bite in as I put the food away. I stuck my "to go" box in the fridge after returning from dinner, but I'll just have another bite or two before going to bed. Need I say more?

Lies: Oh, boy... the lies I told myself as I got to this point. "I'll eat what I want on vacation but lose it as soon as I get back."; "This looks like about a 100 calorie serving..."; and, oh, yeah... "I'll start tomorrow." What's my current lie??? "This is about a quarter of a cup serving. Ok, I'm being really good, so I'll MEASURE that quarter of a cup... yeah, that's a quarter cup, but I'm just going to heap a couple of mashed carrots on top of that cup, because those won't really hurt." These lies hurt no one but me. If I'm going to succeed, I must demand TOTAL HONESTY from myself.

So my solution is now to track every single bite of what I eat--even one measly olive--and analyze what I've done each day, to do my best at all times, to be as plan compliant as possible, and to get right back on track the moment I notice I've gone astray.

I am determined to succeed.

I am detetermined to change.

I am determined to get my life back again. One habit at a time. Every day. Forever.[/quote']

Really like this post. I can relate to the little sneaks and lies especially. I mean who are we fooling? That extra bite just before bed. That was me yesterday. It was not needed. Thanks!

Great post... Wanted to revive it :)

Trying to get this active again as people have asked about it.

Sooooo perfect for me! I have been searching for days about cheating, how much my sleeve can hold, my obsession with "no sugar added" fudgesicles (I can eat 10 a day if I'm not mindful-extra 400 calories at 5 weeks out). Last night I promised myself I would wake up determined today...and here you were!!!! Bless you! ❤

Great post! Relevant every waking moment of everyday. Thanks for putting it all in one post! :)

This is definitely going into my file! Thank you for reviving it!

Thanks Writer Girl! I would love to be able to find all your wonderfully written posts in one location. Would you consider starting a blog here and copying them to your blog?

I missed this topic the first time around. It's especially timely for me today. I'm at the top of my bounce range and I have cut back and re-evaluate how I've been eating. I'm sure all of the behaviors you have so aptly described are to blame.

Lynda

Thanks Writer Girl! I would love to be able to find all your wonderfully written posts in one location. Would you consider starting a blog here and copying them to your blog?

I missed this topic the first time around. It's especially timely for me today. I'm at the top of my bounce range and I have cut back and re-evaluate how I've been eating. I'm sure all of the behaviors you have so aptly described are to blame.

Lynda

I've thought about a blog but don't know that I'd have time to keep it up. I could certainly do as you suggested, though. So happy that my experience can help others, as so many have helped me. Hang in there.

Yeah I have avoided a blog for the same reason, but I recently started one here so I have one place with answers to frequently asked questions. It saves me time from hunting up a previous answer. I think a blog with helpful info is good even if isn't frequently updated or even if it is later abandoned.

I've posted in the What did you eat today thread and will be posting there for a few days till my weight is back at 135.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/79628-what-did-you-eat-today/

Thanks for your help.

Lynda