Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sooooo....I have been craving soda like you wouldn't believe. I have even been dreaming about drinking it. My surgeon had even told me not to have it. I finally caved in today and had a few sips. Well, it didn't kill me, but I am probably not going to have anymore for a very long, long while. The fizziness made air get stuck in my chest and was very uncomfortable. At least I am not craving anymore. I am 3 1/2 months post op, so it was probably too early anyway.

I took some sips 2 months out and then my sips turned to gulps and sat and sugar cravings came back. I cannot keep it in the house and I wish I had never sipped it. I haven't had any issues with the carbonation but it does affect my mental state because I started thinking of food more and all the things that taste sooooooo good with an ice cold diet coke.

Thank you for the warning. I've been tempted to try some, but now, not so much.

I am six months out and I still find it difficult. Sometimes I just really want to drink something different though... I get sick of Water and the occasional glass of milk. So I take my diet-whatever... and I shake it. Like crazy. I make sure I get the bottle so that I can let the air out. I also make sure it isn't super cold. After I get the majority of the carbonation out (i know I'm good when the straw won't float anymore) I can normally drink it fine without any problems. My surgeon said that he didn't have any restrictions but that many of his patients simply don't like it afterwards.

I've tried a coke slushy once when I was in the mood for soda. It wasn't too bad. A lot of sugar, though. :unsure:

I drink a diet soda every now and then but I am over 2 years out. I was never a big soda drinker before. I drink alot of tea (warm w/vanilla soy slender*, cold w/splenda) so I need a change every now and then (Water is not my beverage of choice) Each of us is different.

*sweet and has less sugar than milk and has protein-I use this for Cereal also-which I rarely eat)

Best to you.

Dee

I used to be the biggest Diet Coke fan in the world, and since my sleeve, I've basically completely stopped -- cold turkey -- drinking it, and switched to coffee for my caffeine.

The carbonation, oddly, didn't bother me at all. It's the acidity that was the kicker; that stuff gave me reflux like you wouldn't believe. In the end, it just wasn't worth it -- I drink coffee when I need a caffeine boost, and when I want that "ice cold, refreshing" feeling, I drink plain old water!

hi,

my NUT told me, NO,NO,NO to soda - that being said i am only 3 + months since WLS - but the NUT said due to the carbonation - i should not drink soda now, who knows maybe down the road some soda will be allowed.

the truth is i am one of those martians that desn't really like soda anyways.

oh well

kathy.