Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Failed Band , Problems Eating , Consdiering Sleeve ?

One thing that worries me , and I think the sleeve is a better option than the band for sure. However at the time we all had our bands it was " the best thing " I know I said after losing 125 pds it was the best thing i ever did ! I worry in a year or 2 will that change ?

Does that make sense ? is this just the " latest and greatest" WLS so everyone is raving about it ?

Thanks for your help Irene you look great BTW !!!

One thing that worries me , and I think the sleeve is a better option than the band for sure. However at the time we all had our bands it was " the best thing " I know I said after losing 125 pds it was the best thing i ever did ! I worry in a year or 2 will that change ?

Does that make sense ? is this just the " latest and greatest" WLS so everyone is raving about it ?

Thanks for your help Irene you look great BTW !!!

I've been at goal since August 2011, so I guess I'm going on about 7 months just coasting through life. Of course I'm not sure how I'll feel in another year or 2, but I can tell you from the bottom of my heart I've never felt this way about my lap band. I tried!! Lord knows I did try, but it was false hope for me. I never hit goal or even close, then gained all my weight back.

However you did, so you see things a little differently than I do. You see the other side where if complications do arise, feelings can change. I hope that isn't the case here!!

There are several posters here who are a few years out as well, and that seem to be happy still, whom you may remember too - OregonDaisy who is also Denise, and Susan. Hopefully they will chime in soon!

Thanks for the support too, I do appreciate it. Cheers on your new journey! I hope the very best for you!!

I have been talking to Susan . It does seem others are happy a couple years out . It seems w/ the band its a couple years out when the band starts having issues. I think it will be at least 6 months before I can get the surgery , I have a feeling im going to have to pay cash for it again , So I still have time to kind of wait it out . It took me over a year of research w/ the band to KNOW I could do it . The one thing i WILL Do differently this time is I will ( Im trying to start now ) work out . I should have started that from the begging w/ my band and I never did >!

I had the band for 10 years, revised to a sleeve in Dec 2011. I am happy with the decision - I don't have trouble eating - actually it has been easier for me to manage then the band ever was. When I have had enough food, i feel full rather then feeling pain. What a relief.

I did mine in two surgeries, but the doc would do it in one. The theory behind the two surgeries is that it may decrease the risk of a leak. I am not actually sure there is research to back that up, but it is the rationale and I wanted a risk reduction strategy.

For me, it was beneficial to be split into two surgeries because although the band sucked, it apparently interfered with hunger. When I had the band removed my appetite went through the roof - it reall convinced me i needed the surgery and removed all doubts.

I have a question ... before y 'all had your band removed did you get reflux often ? I am just now starting to get it off and on I am wondering if this is something i need to worry about . I have nothing in my band right now because its useless due to slips ?

Hi, my name is Jeanie and I'm new here. I'm glad I'm reading this because it is all I was going to ask. :) I have a band and am now researching having it removed and the sleeve done. I know I'm going to do it and pray it won't have to be done in two surgeries as I'm self paying. But what ever needs to be done I'll do it. Lots of good information here.

It's been about 6 years I think for me also and I had it done in Tijuana and will also have this one done there. I want to feel full not just pain. I had lost 90 pounds only had 10 to go to get to my goal but now I've gained 40+ back. I don't want one more fill so as of tomorrow I'm going to start calling places down there. Is there any that are the BEST does any one know? I'm thinking Dr. Garcia? Are there others for me to consider that could be recommended here? How much extra do they charge to take the band out?

thanks for this thread and I wish you the best.

I have a question ... before y 'all had your band removed did you get reflux often ? I am just now starting to get it off and on I am wondering if this is something i need to worry about . I have nothing in my band right now because its useless due to slips ?

I never had reflux with or before my band.

I would definitely take a PPI to keep the reflux at bay while you are unfilled. It can cause esophageal issues which can make the sleeve more difficult to perform.

I have chosen to remain on my Nexium even though I've only had a few episodes of reflux since being sleeved, it keeps my physical gone, and I'm going to take it to protect what's left of my stomach tissue.

I had my revision 2 weeks ago all in one surgery. I have read some doctors are different though. I dont miss my band at all. The moment I woke up from surgery I cried greatful that it was over and God got me through it, then I touched my tummy and couldnt help but smile, my band was gone. I had to eat the things you are talking about as well, icecream before meals was what worked for me, its almost like it "calmed" my band down. To someone that hasnt had a band it would sound like an excuse to them, but I am serious, its how I had to eat or I would be running for a bathroom or trashcan at 2 bites in (if I was filled to have restriction). I also had reflux at my "sweet spot" so bad that I would wake up choking at night. After several upper GI's and a EDG, it was time to move one. I was over making my self vomit to get rid of that stuck feeling, or eating at work and having to be afraid I would get stuck and need to run to the bathroom. Good luck on your journey!!

Im kind of new here too & had my band for 3 years. Dr Aceves placed it 7/2007 & I lost 60 lbs. I then started gaining weight slowly & was living on ice cream, candy.. I couldnt eat meat,chciken or veggies at all! things were always getting stuck.

Anyway I had my band removed in 7/2010 at mayo Clinic, my insurance paid for it & have now gained almost all my weight back.. What makes me mad is my insurance wont pay for gastric bypass ecause my BMI is 35 with no co-morbidities! Im 5'3 7 weigh 200lbs!

I have decided to get VSG thru Dr Garcia.. yes, Im scared & am afraid people will think Im crazy for doing weight loss surgery again but I just feel so hopeless about my weight..Good luck to you all!

That is one thing i am worried about is my BMI being too low. I did howver find out that PCOS ( polycystic ovarian syndrome ) which i have is a co morbidity for the insurance i want to get.

Lulu you and i are exactly the same weight and height !

Well I have looked into all this and reading all this has really helped my decision, thank you all for everyone's input. I am scheduled to have mine done next Monday the 23rd of April, I'm very excited. I'm going to Mexico to Dr. Kelly. He will do an endoscopy to see how my stomach is so he will know then (I won't because I'll be under) if he can do it in one operation or two. I don't think I have damage but one never knows till you are in there I guess. The cost of the endoscopy here was $4000 but there it is $400! He asked me to have it done here but once I saw the price I asked him if he would do it. I have no insurance. So I'm all set to go and feel very confident with all the helpful replies here from the ones that have gone through with it. My BMI is 31 so I haven't had to do the 2 week liquid diet but I have to do the 3 day clear liquid pre op diet of course.

That was a good statement and question about will this be a good decision in a few years out... I thought the band was good for a while too but listening to people here I'm feeling very good about it now. Thank you everyone! :) I'll be back and let you know later how I feel about it also. :) Good luck to everyone and make the right decision for you and what you think best.

Jeanie

I had my band done 01/07, and lost around 50+ lbs, but by September 2007 I began to have issues. I struggled with each and every meal, not a day went by that I didn't get "stuck" and had to run to the restroom to throw it all back up. Junk food became my only way to eat. For almost 4 years I saw numerous band doctors trying to get help. No one could help me get adjusted properly, and finally just about everyone around me (family included) began to tell me it was all in my head. I constantly heard, "If you could just . . . . ", and "Why don't you ....." All this from folks who had no clue what I dealt with on a daily basis.

I had my revision on 3/22/12, by Dr. Kaler, here in Hot Springs, AR. He told me that he felt that he could do the revision in 1 surgery, but that he couldn't guarantee it. He stated that once he got in, if he felt it wasn't possible, then he would have to "open me up". I told him that was fine, I just wanted the band out. Thankfully, he WAS able to do it in one surgery, laproscopically, and I have been thankful every day! Although the doctor told me that I had an enormous amount of scar tissue around the band, he was still able to remove 85% of my stomach, with no issues.

I am still on my "soft mushy" phase for another 2 weeks, but I am eating healthier than I have for the last 5 years, and not had a single issues of getting stuck, having the slimes, or throwing up!

When I got my band, I will admit that I had a few concerns, and wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do at the time, but I got caught up in all the hype - I lived in Dallas at the time and 12 of my co-workers had the same surgery done. Today, out of the 12, only 1 has lost all their weight and kept it off. At least 3 of them have had the revision, and the other 8 are still suffering. My decision for the revision was my own, with no input from anyone other than my DH, who was supportive and just wanted me to be happy.

Best of luck in your search, and I hope that you find all the information you need to make the best decision for you.

The other thing that I am thankful for, is that I no longer have a foreign object inside of me.

It is so nice to read everones comments & know I wasnt crazy when I had the band! I have booked my surgery with Dr Garcia for 6/4..Im still a little scared but also excited..

Keep in touch!

Hi there...I have recently had my band removed and the sleeve done (in one surgery) and am grateful! Its been two months and I have no regrets...no vomiting or pain any more. My acid is no where near like before and also my surgeon is very cognizant that acid is hard on a healing tummy so I am on Pantaloc.

I feel more like myself now than ever before but I will admit that this surgery is WAY more intense and major than a band. So expect fatigue and tiredness for the first few months. It does go away but you need to give your body time to heal.

Thank you SuganSpice for the heads up on recovery, I was afraid of that. I do live alone but lucky for me my cousin just happend to make her vacation to be here 2 days after I get home (she didn't know about this before) so she will be here to help around the house and with the dogs. Not going to be such a fun vacation for her but she'll be for about 5 weeks so it works perfect for me. :) I'm just happy with every report about it being better than the band. Good luck to you and please do keep us posted.