Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I was doing some online research in preparation for my introductory seminar for lapbanding later this month and was SO happy to have found this site. So many of my questions and concerns were answered and despite the difficulties some of you have had, the before and after pictures speak for themselves.

My name is Virginia and I've been obese since childhood and slid into morbid obesity by 8th grade. I'm now 37, 365 lbs and I have had recent problems with mobility, and long standing issues of back/joint pain, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure.

I know most of you can relate when I say how much I am dying to just go for a walk!! But my enthusiasm drops off quick once I get on my feet for 5 or 10 minutes and the pain is unbearable. I've tried numerous diet plans and none have worked. My last attempt was the Nutrisystem Nourish plan. I was on that for 3 months, went to my doctor for a weigh-in and had gained 12 months. That was the end of that.

I'm looking for the opportunity to get the lapband and have another chance at life; to start living fully instead of barely existing, feeling imprisoned in this body. I know many of you have been on this journey for years and please know that I am here to offer support and will likely seek yours. :) If anyone in particular is from northern New Jersey and have used Dr. Abkin or Dr. Bertha I would love to hear your experiences. Hey maybe we could buddy up and exercise together or be an additonal support system to one another.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing just a fraction of the success all of you have had.

Good Luck! and keep up the AWESOME work.:clap2:

Virginia

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

First of all this is your New Jersey thread. You should find you neighbors here. Second, welcome aboard. It is always lovely to meet someone new. Your struggles are our stuggles and with each other we will overcome them all.

As far as the painful walking, check out the Exercise forum. There is a thread about exercise with disabilities. I go to a Monday class where there is a lady who has sever pain in her knees, so she does the exercise in the chair. Every little bit counts. She marches in the chair, leg lifts, arm exercise and so on. So there is something you can do while waiting for your surgery. There are severly people here who are not banding and are losing weight just the same. "The Live Like They Are Banded" Exercise, Water, counting calories, low carbing

Good Luck Vac2, see you around:welldoneclap:

Just wanted to write and say, Good Luck. I think waiting is one of the hardest times, actually. It's so hard to get psyched up to LIVE THE LIFE when you've none of the tools YET. I also did the Nutrisystem plan lately (it was also my last attempt before being banded). I'm now letting my 3 y.o. son take the food to the charity food bank at his school. It tasted terrible; and didn't work. I'm so excited every day to be given this new chance. My right knee hurt so bad from Degenerative Bone Disease that I had a visible limp while I walked around seeing my patients. Now, I can walk up and down stairs without even holding the handrail. And that's at 19.5 lbs down. Can you imagine when that turns into say 40 lbs. down? Good Luck and God Bless. Brenda

Welcome Virginia!

I hope your journey starts soon for you! It is life changing! I have only been banded a few weeks, but already have great results.

Good luck and Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Hi Virginia, Welcome to the boards. I have my first consultation tomorrow and I have found alot of good info on this site and now I have less questions to ask :) Goodluck to you and keep poking around here, there are alot of wonderful/helpful people here.

I just saw your thread today. I used Dr. Abkin last year. I think he is a wonderful doctor, the office staff is a little overworked but they are all so nice. Hope all goes well. What part of Jersey are you from?

:welcomeB:

Hi Virginia and WELCOME to LBT!! I've been banded since May 26, 2006 and would do it again 100 times over. Congratulations for taking the first step to the new you.....regardless of what, if any, surgery you decide on.

You are very wise to do your research and learn as much as you can. This is the best site I found during my research phase. I have stayed b/c it's still provides me with tons of info and support.

Knowledge is power so ask lots of questions. I wish you the very best and let us know what you decide!!