Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Lap Band A few ?s (Newbie)

Hi ,My name is Mindy and I live outside Austin TX. I have been really thinking about Lap band Surgery for over a yr now. I hope its ok to post on here since i haven't had it done yet ? I found this group and I have to say its really has some inspirational stories and the PICTURES are amazing. its one thing to see the numbers but the photos are fabulous. Everyone is a real inspiration to me.

I'm going to a lap band seminar for Southwest Bariatrics tomorrow .

I have a few questions that i thought some of you might be able to help me out with . I have 2 major concerns with this surgery, that I'm not sure if it will get addressed tomorrow or if i have to wait to go to an appt and well frankly I'm inpatient.

The first is I have Migraines frequently . I was looking over the post op meal plan . My question is , does the fasting post op ( and it looks like pre op as well ) cause any of you that have migraines to have them more often or do you not notice any difference ?

My other question is I also have PCOS ( Poly cystic ovarian syndrome ) one of the "symptoms' of PCOS Is its difficulties to loose weight. So anyone with PCOS have any problems loosing the weight post op and then keeping it off ? I realize no one can give me medical advice just what your own experiences have been if you have PCOS or migraines both would be better lol .

I know everyone is different especially with those 2 conditions.

Thanks

Mindy

Hi there. Congrats on taking that first step, I'm going to my informational seminar on the 17th so I'm new too.

Obviously I havent had the surgery yet but in regards to migraines... I'd probably be really careful what liquids I consumed. Go for the homemade or canned broths but read the labels carefully. Things like MSG (more prevalent in the powdered broths) can really bring on a Migraine for me.

On the PCOS side, I'd love to see some responses to that because it seems more common with people who are overweight and I understand that it is tied in with metabolic syndrome which may be the underlying condition that causes difficulty in weight loss.

Good luck Mindy.

Yeah definitely stay with fresh non preservative drinks/food, i try to do that anyway .I can not handle anythign with nutrasweet or even splenda in it . Does anyone know if pomegranate juice is ok to drink ? LOL I LOVE that stuff. the canned broths I try not to do either due to the preservatives in it . Even if things say " No MSG " or they dont say MSG there is about 100 different names for MSG. But i guess I could make broth fresh ?

Im interested in the PCOS response too . I HOPE its a good one lol

Good luck on your seminar as well. I'm excited about mine.

Mindy

I have PCOS and suffered from severe Migraines prior to surgery. Since having surgery almost a year ago, I've had 3 very mild migraines. Also, as you can see from my stats below, having PCOS hasn't affected my ability to lose weight with the band.

I wish you the best of luck!

THANK YOU Tricia. To be honest i dont expect my Migraines to get " better" after surgery . I just want to make sure that wont get worse .

I have had them since I was 11. now if they got better that would be a HUGE plus. Your stats are great , that is VERY incouraging to me.

Ive been confused as to the stat numbers is the last number where you are or your goal ??

Either way yours are awesome. The stats and the before and after pics are VERY encouraging to me.

Thanks

Mindy

Mindy,

The first number is your highest or surgery weight, the next is current and the last is your goal weight. good luck on your surgery!

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/178/155-165?

5'7''

Thanks , that is what I thought but was not sure lol .

I was sitting here last night reading messages and looking at before and after pics crying. ( I know im a dork lol) But im SO ready to have this done. I have not even been to the seminar and im ready .

I am not sure how long it will take me to get the money together but im just so SICK Of being this way . I have to say this is one of the most SUPPORTIVE forums I have ever seen. So I look forward to staying for awhile. Hopefully i can be on here sooner rather than later as a post op poster lol

Mindy

Hey Mindy,

I dont know if you've seen this list a bunch of us chipped in to put together for new folks.. if you haven't, be sure to print it out and take it with you. (click on the link below) These are questions you'll want answers to.. PRIOR to surgery. Best of luck to you. You've found a great place for support and friendship!

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=15595

One step ahead of ya . lol I have a notebook started . As I find info I feel I need to keep i print it out and put it in there. As i find questions I want answered I write them down and pretty much all of them and then ALOT more was on that list I found. ( I just found that list last night)

Thanks

Mindy

THANK YOU Tricia. To be honest i dont expect my Migraines to get " better" after surgery . I just want to make sure that wont get worse .

I have had them since I was 11. now if they got better that would be a HUGE plus. Your stats are great , that is VERY incouraging to me.

Ive been confused as to the stat numbers is the last number where you are or your goal ??

Either way yours are awesome. The stats and the before and after pics are VERY encouraging to me.

Thanks

Mindy

You're welcome, Mindy. I see that Liz has already answered your question. :)