Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain in the Arse Neighbors

I am a true country girl, born and raised and lived 30+ years in the woods of central lower Michigan. I moved to SD in 2003, married in 2004 and make my home in a city of about 15,000. For the most part we have decent neighbors. With exception to the Yeah Whos that live across the street. They boom their music, peel out on their motorcycles, burn donuts in the street (they left two back circles), throw fast food wrappers, pop cans and such on the ground to name just a few. I don't want to cause a stink, but I want some resolution to the problem. Should I call the law if this continues, just try to ignore them, or something else? Any advice would be awesome.

Are they renters or do they own the home? If they're renters, you should contact the owners ASAP. If they're the homeowners, do you have a neighborhood association you can talk to?

It's your neighborhood too. Do you want other people like those neighbors moving in and bringing the rest of the neighborhood to their level?

I'd call the police if you don't have a neighborhood association to turn to. Those neighbors won't know who called them. Your home is a HUGE investment and you really don't want bad neighbors bringing it's value down.

We have a fellow up the end of our street who has a towing business, and he was a real problem. He had a huge old noisy tow truck that he'd roar down the street in at 5.30 am, and he really went fast too at all times of day. As we live in a quiet cul de sac and there's always kids out playing in the street, this was a huge problem, it was only a matter of time before he collected someone.

Anyhow somebody must have complained to the council or spoken to him directly because he's now extremely considerate, he idles down the street early in the morning and drives very carefully at other times of the day.

So you never know, people dont always know they're bothering you and may be only too happy to tone it down a bit if you ask nicely.

I would drop a nice note in their mailbox (anonymous if you prefer) pointing out the problems and then wait to see if there's an improvement over the nexts few days. If there is no change, my next action would be to call the police.

I would drop a nice note in their mailbox (anonymous if you prefer) pointing out the problems and then wait to see if there's an improvement over the nexts few days. If there is no change, my next action would be to call the police.

I love this idea!

My suggestion was to MOVE.

LOL....."arse"....I haven't heard that expression since my Mom passed away in 86.

I don't think ignoring them is an option that would work....would be very hard to ignore that crap. I'd go straight to the police and let them know that you mean business....would be even better if you could get some support and backing from some of the other neighbours.

Carol

I ended up writing a letter to the police dept. and have it in the mail today. It explains in detail everything that I have witnessed first hand since they moved in. Hopefully it does some good. I did point out we live in a school zone and school starts Aug. 21, and I afraid someone will get hurt or killed if this crazy disrepect continues. Thanks for all your input, I will let you know what happens!

I feel for ya, our neighbors on one side got into trouble for chicken fighting and are always sitting on or fence, and their kids are always nakked! AND they park their cars infront of our house ARRRRg!

The other side is this lil old lady who is CRAZY! lol she has done many things to upset us two of the funniest was the kids in the neighborhood one of them made a bike skid mark on the public sidewalk in front of her house and she walked to everyones house demading that they scrubed the sidwalk in front of her house, no one did it a few told her to get lost and a few told her to stick it :huggie: we just laughed @ her...And the other is on the 4th alot of people were doing Fireworks and she went again down the street yelling at people that if her car got burned she was sueing us (All) and then went out at 2am w/ a flash light to inspect her car! Whats funnier is she has lived there 2 years now and that car is parked out in the street being used as storage and is not in good shape AT ALL, in fact when she first moved in she got out of her car and left it in netural it rolled down her driveway and up ours hit OUR truck and knocked out all her tail lights...We let it go................and the car has sat ever since! but yet she is going to sue us if something happens to it! She is crazy! and we just laugh at her now I could tell you some other funny things but I'm getting ready to leave the house lol

Nana~

I've tried talking to my neighbors, and I've called the police on many occassions. I'm in an apartment that was owned by a 'slum lord' who didn't inform us he was filling the place with tenants to sell it. He never did anything about the neighbors that he agreed to do, and then we got a letter that the building had been sold. The new owners where not aware that there were any problems at all.

As soon as I have the money for a deposit, I'm outta there.

I hope the police do something with your letter. Don't hesitate to call though. There are non-emergency disbatch numbers for stuff like noise complaints, etc.

I have conflicting thoughts on this. We had a neighbor (a renter) who played his stereo loud with the bass turned waaay up. To the point that I could feel it in my chest while I was taking a shower. We honestly couldn't hear our own music or TV. It didn't bother the other neighbors as much because of the placement of the houses. We tried talking to him, but it did no good. Finally, we called the police. They came first to our house, but of course it wasn't playing then. They made a visit to the neighbor to ask him to tone it down. He proceeded to turn it up EVEN MORE!! He told us he was punishing us because we called the police and they weren't going to make him stop. My DH had words with him, and the A**hole said he wouldn't turn it down until I came over and apologized to him in person. Our lives were so miserable that I did it. And he dressed me down for a good 10 minutes. I didn't see any improvement either.

Then they moved away. Whew! Then a year later they MOVED BACK!!!:huggie: Talk about an adrenaline rush when we saw them again.

We finally had no choice but to sell our house and move away. It was so sad.

So, just be careful. It could get worse.

I'd try a nice letter to not offend (it can get worse if they are rebels).

Then, I'd try the police.

Also, maybe get their phone number and call them (anonymous) when they are getting out of hand.

Remember, try to keep cool as these things can escalate quick. They will be defensive.

Shawn