Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

I had my consult visit today with Dr. Marvin here in Houston TX. I was so nervous this morning that I passed up his office twice trying to locate it. Once I was inside the ladies in his office made me feel a lot better. I have BCBS FEP and they require a 3 month weight loss plan plus a psych visit. Some the requirements/labs that are needed by his office I don't have to go through because I just had a complete overhaul done in Nov 2011 and they could use those test, which is a good thing. I have a positive attitude about the whole process. Just wanted to share to story with you all because either you're going through or have already been through it. Thanks for listening/reading..

kimmyiet

Hi. I have BCBS FEP also. My initial consult is 12 April and I can hardly wait. What did you cover in your initial visit today? Did you just meet with the doctor?

Hi besquared1426,

After filling out the initial paper work, I first spoke with my case manager and she went over the insurance requirements and other reading, signature required material. Then the nurse came in to do an EKG, once she left the doctor (not the surgeon) came in and talked to me about my weight and the problem I was having with it. She asked a bunch of health questions and gave me a nutrition plan and ways to help drop the weight because bcbs fep requires it before surgery. She told me that I have to come back 3 times for the next 3 months to weight in. Once that was completed the same nurse who performed the EKG came back with the lab requirements list and place to go do the lab work. Once all that was done I was good to go back to work! Ugh!!

Because I have high blood pressure I'm required to do a stress test by my cardiologist and since I just had an EDG done in Nov 2011, I can skip that part and obtain the test from my gastroenterology.

And no I didn’t meet with Dr. Marvin today.

Hi Kimmyiet! My 1st consult was on the 20th with Dr. Marvins office! The staff was great, but I tested positive for H. Pylori, so the doctor started me on meds ad I wll have to go back in April to retest! I too passed the office up!

Hi Mrs. KC,

That's funny. If you didn't know it was there as you already know, you wouldn't see it. LOL... That test I'm can say I tested negative for, I was glad to hear that. So now I'm on to starting this diet thing again. Ugh!!!

I will take the diet over these pills any day! These 8 pills aday are horrible. My insurance doesn't require anything but a BMI of 40, so this H Pylori really slowed me down. I really wanted to have the surgery done by the 2nd week in April. Good luck with ur diet, try low carbing it!

Hello all...wondering if you've been sleeved yet by Dr. Marvin. I've had the first consultation w/ case worker and Dr. Woermann. Did the H test, Stress Test, blood work. Am now waiting to hear back for appt w/ Dr Marvin. So far I am impressed with his staff and their thoroughness. Love Tameki, my case worker. Hoping to be sleeved first week of May What's been your experience? Anyone gave complications after surgery? Many thanks for responding. Artsey

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hi Artsy…

No surgery for me yet! I'm going thru my insurance (bcbs fep) and I have to participate in at least 3 mos medically supervised weight loss program which includes nutritional counseling and psychological clearance which I have scheduled for Monday April 9th.So, after all is said and done I'm hoping of green to go because I'm really tired of feeling and looking this way. Tameki is also my case manager and she is such a doll.. :) Are you self-pay or going thru insurance?

Hi Kimmey,

Thanks for your response. So glad to hear Tameki is your case worker--she's been terrific--responds to emails lickety split. I have United Healthcare Choice Plus and there were no requirements prior to surgery. I've completed all tests---waiting for blood work results, then Tameki can apply w/ UHC online. She said it should be about 2 weeks. I'm so excited and can't wait. My next door neighbor had Dr Marvin also--6 months ago. She had a breeze & has lost almost 50 lbs. If you want to communicate directly w/ me---my email is artgirl709@gmail.com. All the best, Kimmey. Pls keep in touch. --Artsy

I guess we all have 2 things in common, Tameki is my case manager as well!

I need to contact her tomorrow about Dr M's appt w/ me. Insurance wants me to get sleep study and pshyc exam.

Artsy.. Don't know about the sleep study but for the psych eval if you go see Dr. Vikram Mehra he is so hilarious. I felt very comfortable chatting with him.. Here's my email addy kimmyiet@gmail.com.. look forward to chatting with you soon.. :)

That is so funny Mrs. KC, who would have thought... LOL :lol:

Hi guys just wanted to let u know my surgery is tomorrow! Can u say nervous?

Hi guys just wanted to let u know my surgery is tomorrow! Can u say nervous?

Mrs. KC, you will be fine! I'm less than 24 hours out and no pain, just some nausea and I'm very prone to it since I get motion sickness anyway. You probably won't even get that. :)

Thanks!