Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What type of follow ups have those of you who've had your surgery done in Mexico done? I live on the east coast so certainly can't go back to Mexico for follow ups. I'm a little scared to say anything to my primary care physician before I have the surgery since I don't know what her reaction will be both about me having the surgery and also in my choice of where to have it.

Any thoughts?

I told my PCP 3 days before leaving for Mexico. She was initially supportive, as she knew I was obese and yet did not meet criteria for WLS under my insurance plan. She freaked out a bit when I told her it was to be done in Mexico, but agreed to order my post-op labs and found me a support group nearby. She's been great overall despite having reservationa about a Mexican surgeon.

you should have your primary physcian follow you post op. most are not happy that you went to mexico. But they will get over it if they want you as a patient and if they dont then find a new doctor who will.. I had to do that with on of my doctors..I think many feel inferior to people going over to Mexico for procedures because it is cheaper and in my opinion much better medical care that if the cat got out of the bag to more and more people, then many would start going there on a regular basis..Our doctors here are well aware of the patients going to mexico I think that alot of them feel some sort of threat..and I know alot of doctors that believe in it because they know about all the beaurucratic BS that makes our health care system the way that it is.

you should have your primary physcian follow you post op. most are not happy that you went to Mexico. But they will get over it if they want you as a patient and if they dont then find a new doctor who will.. I had to do that with on of my doctors..I think many feel inferior to people going over to Mexico for procedures because it is cheaper and in my opinion much better medical care that if the cat got out of the bag to more and more people' date=' then many would start going there on a regular basis..Our doctors here are well aware of the patients going to mexico I think that alot of them feel some sort of threat..and I know alot of doctors that believe in it because they know about all the beaurucratic BS that makes our health care system the way that it is.[/quote']

I agree 100% with you Barbie my employer block the coverage in our medical benefits and of top of that they wont cover me for long term disablity insurance because I'm obese I have to

Lose the weight first to be cover and they won't paid for my time off work and I've been so depress and stress about it my doctor took me off work under mental stress

You should definitely tell your doctor, if she refuses to treat you then find another because the only way she/he can treat all of you its by knowing the truth. You should not wait to come back before telling them because if she does not want to see you you need time to find another one who will.

You should definitely tell your doctor' date=' if she refuses to treat you then find another because the only way she/he can treat all of you its by knowing the truth. You should not wait to come back before telling them because if she does not want to see you you need time to find another one who will.[/quote']

You know when I made my appointment with my primary doctor for my post-op they never ask who what performing my surgery. I guess she will

Ask when I see her, but they said I should have made the pre-op appointment

I have Kaiser and when I came back from my surgery I made an appointment with my primary care for follow up. Shen then gave me a referral for a surgeon who helped me with the wounds, stiches and assigned me a bariatric nurse that follows up with me whenever I need my blood tests done or I get sick or something. They frowned upon the fact about getting it done in MExico, but they still helped me and gave me info to a support group as well as diet and Vitamins and all the things I needed to do with my sleeve.

I have Kaiser and when I came back from my surgery I made an appointment with my primary care for follow up. Shen then gave me a referral for a surgeon who helped me with the wounds' date=' stiches and assigned me a bariatric nurse that follows up with me whenever I need my blood tests done or I get sick or something. They frowned upon the fact about getting it done in Mexico, but they still helped me and gave me info to a support group as well as diet and Vitamins and all the things I needed to do with my sleeve.[/quote']

That's cool maybe mines will do the same thing. Was she upset that you went to Mexico

I am in the same boat & so worried about this. I think I am going to have to change my regular Dr. She was not supportive of me wanting to have bariatric surgery done (she insisted I try one more diet through her). So I know now I have decided to have the surgery done she will not be happy & having it done in MX she will be probably even more upset.

So thinking I may change my PCP to another one more local anyway & tell them up front I am having surgery on this date, can you do follow up appts for me?

Don't be afraid to tell your PCP. Leave your PCP if they don't care enough to assist you. Remember, YOU pay them for your care. You are an adult and don't need their permission to make life changing decisions.

I know it may be challenging to find a good doctor, but if they cared, they will be there.

They lectured me on going to Mexico! Then they asked who my surgeon had been and noted on my records, but then they moved on and said they would help me and they have! Especially since my wounds got infected. They've been really nice and added me to their support groups and I have a bariatric Rn that calls me to remind me when my check ups are and stuff. You should go to ur insurance's pre-op talks, ask them to sign u up that way you know what to expect from the surgery.