Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

De-banded this week

Just to let everyone know that I went down to Monterrey, MX this week, and Dr. Rodriguez ended up having to remove my band. After only having it for 2 1/2 months! I had no slipped band, no hiatal hernia. My problem was with the sphinctor at the base of the esophagus. It was really swollen and wouldn't work correctly. It wouldn't let hardly anything pass, although when he did the fluoroscopy on Tues night, the barium went through, then when I drank Water, it just closed off completely. No wonder I had such a hard time drinking water!

Tues night, he couldn't figure out where the restriction was, so he had to do an endoscopy the next morning. That's when he found the swelling, but still didn't know the reason. So he went in with the laproscope and made the decision to take out the band, because he said the swelling might go down with medication, but it could always come back later, and I might get an eroded stomach. He said that my body just might produce too much acid and that may have been causing the problem but he really wasn't sure. He just didn't want to take the chance with my esophagus and stomach.

He put me on steroids for a couple of days after the surgery and I was able to drink Water and other liquids with no problem. I have to stay on liquids and mushies for about 2 to 3 more weeks. I'm just relieved to not have the reflux or the pain in my back or chest anymore and to be able to guzzle water again!! :scared: I am more sore than when I was first banded, but I kind of expected that. And I can't wait to be able to eat regular food again! But..... I have figured out a plan and will stick to it.

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

I'm so sorry you had to have your band removed after such a short time. Good for you for having such a great attitude and making a plan for the future. Good luck and make sure you let us know how you're doing.

I'm sorry you had to have the band removed but it's good to hear you're on the mend and so positive.

Great to hear you have a plan.....if you can do it with the band then you can do it without. Good luck.

Wow Cathy, your attitude is wonderful. I wish you only the best, and your positive spirit will get you to your goals! I just know it! Stick around if you need to. We are all on the same weight loss journey to improved health. There a pleny of unbanded/pre-band/never-will-see-a-band folks around. Hop in on a challenge and share your journey with us! Go get 'em, girl! I'm proud of you!

I've often wondered what I would do if I lost my band, and I am pretty sure I am not as mature as you. WOW, I am impressed with your attitude. So now I figure that you can accomplish weight loss without the band if you can have such a positive attitude. Good luck to you.

I'm am disappointed that I lost my band, but I really had no choice. I was in pain and could barely drink anything. I either have to be positive that I can lose this weight on my own or not be positive, and I'm not having the pains that I was having while banded, so I'm happy about that! :P I've lived with hypothyroidism basically all my life, since age 7 and losing weight has always been a struggle for me as well as being discouraged.... CONSTANTLY! I've tried for over 20 years...... losing some weight and gaining more, and I felt like the band was my last option. Well, I figure that if I could lose weight with the band, then I can do it without. I just have to reconfigure how I will do it. I know now that I was eating too much food prior to banding, so now I will make sure that I eat less AND start walking. I'll just keep trying like I have before! :scared: That's all I can do. It's always a new day tomorrow.... there's always hope. :)

Cathy in Arkansas

Cathy, I'm so sorry about that, but it sounds like you are taking this very well. I wish you the best in every single way of life.

Please keep in touch! You are one of my heroes!

Letty

PS I try to post on the other forum, but, was not able too.

Cathy- BIG HUGS- you have such a great attitude I'm sure that with the band rules you will lose. I say to people all the time that if everyone took 20-30 minutes to eat thier meals we wouldn't have such a weight problem in this nation. Keep you watch on and watch yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted your always welcome here.

Cathy sorry to hear you lost your band but your outlook seems fantastic. I am having surgery to revise, fix or if they have to remove my band. I hope if it has to be removed and my dr can't fix it I get your attitude. I need to check on this forum more often because I keep wondering where to we go if we are unbanded. Part of me felt like I should not post anymore but the support and info on this site is fantastic. I wish you all the best. Hang in there.

Hi Cynthia,

I hope that you don't have to lose your band, but the way I think of it is that it isn't the end of the world to lose the band. I was not born with it and it was just a tool to help me lose the weight. Yes, I lost a lot of money on the procedure but hey, it's just money, but it's not my health. I just want to be healthy........ not sick everyday, or God forbid, for the rest of my life! You just have to look at it in perspective. I'm also happy that I didn't have the gastric bypass, because if I had the same problems with that procedure, I wouldn't have anywhere to turn except for medications! That's why I didn't want anything cut out of me or re-routed. At least the band CAN be removed and you're back to where you started. And yes, this board is a great support. :Banane27: Keep posting. I hope and pray that everything will work out best for you.

By the way, I've lost 6 lbs back (since Sunday) from the 11 that I gained back during the week of the surgery. It IS possible to lose without the band..... I just have to watch the amount of food I'm eating. The good thing is, my stomach shrank during the period when I could hardly eat anything so I now can't eat as much. I have to make sure not to stretch it out again! That's one good thing that came out of this. :lol:

Cathy

Cathy sorry to hear you lost your band but your outlook seems fantastic. I am having surgery to revise, fix or if they have to remove my band. I hope if it has to be removed and my dr can't fix it I get your attitude. I need to check on this forum more often because I keep wondering where to we go if we are unbanded. Part of me felt like I should not post anymore but the support and info on this site is fantastic. I wish you all the best. Hang in there.

Sunsett,

Yes, you are sooooooo right! Eating slower and measuring out what we eat.......all the things we were taught before to lose weight.....those and drinking loads of Water, are the keys to keeping the weight down. :Banane27:

Cathy

Cathy- BIG HUGS- you have such a great attitude I'm sure that with the band rules you will lose. I say to people all the time that if everyone took 20-30 minutes to eat thier meals we wouldn't have such a weight problem in this nation. Keep you watch on and watch yourself.

Good luck and keep us posted your always welcome here.