Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Goodbye Clothes!!!!!

Well. I finally did it...I cleaned out my closet and gave away most of my clothes yesterday! It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I have always kept my clothes during weight loss just in case I gain weight back. I gave the clothes (three huge thash bags full) to an aquaintance who will definately have more use for them than me and she was very grateful to get them.

What a liberating experience! I did something good for myself and was able to bless someone else at the same time.

While reorganizing the closet, I ran across a couple of boxes full of smaller size clothes from the last time I lost weight about 5 years ago. I don't usually have trouble getting rid of clothes that are too small--it's too depressing to have them around. I'm not sure why I kept these, but, most of them fit me right now and my wardrobe definately needed a boost.

Come fall, I will definately need to to on a shopping trip. I have no fall or winter clothes left. That's definately something to look forward to. I will have to fight for my closet space back--my husband has already made use of the empty space (he had more clothes than me before I got rid of stuff).

Linda,

Congrats on your weight loss and your courage to finally let go of the clothes you won't be wearing again. I too, have a closet full of "sliding scale sizes" -- just in case. I have not been banded yet. My husband has promised me a whole new wardrobe when I finally lose the weight I want.

Your husband sounds like a stitch - Take care and best of luck to you!

Rachel

Hey Linda,

Good for you! I too have cleaned out my closet, but I haven't yet given anything away. I haven't made that brain leap that says I won't gain that weight back again! Maybe soon.

Donna - I made sure I took the clothes and got rid of them as soon as I was done packing them up. I figured I better follow through with my decision before I changed my mind.

RKidder - What to say about my husband! I found him eying my side of the closet again this morning. He mentioned going clothes shopping too...not for me--for HIM! :scared: I am definately married to a metrosexual right down to his great wardrobe and waxed eyebrows! Oh well, I could definately think of worse mid-life crises (sp???)!

Having done this last year, I know what a big step it is. Kudos!! You've just acknowledged that you will not tolerate ever getting to those sizes again.

Congrats.

That's a huge step for us, isn't it? It's like saying "I trust myself (or my band) that I won't gain this weight back."

It's sooooo hard.

I've given away, put the cuter, name-brand things on eBay and still have literally bags and bags of clothes.

I'm drowning in them. :faint:

It's a very strange feeling to have closets full of clothes and be surrounded by clothes I can't wear.

It's great to be able to wear cuter, sexier, more fashionable things and I love it. But it seems like even though my weight loss has been so slow, I can't keep up with my clothes.

I still haven't tackled getting rid of the majority of it.:scared:

I was just saying to my sister (I've given her some choice pieces but it's hard, because she's used to being smaller than me. Now we girls understand that even if we're both overweight, it's a big deal when one is bigger than the other - but becomes the smaller one. She's sometimes very supportive and yet, sometimes.... I dunno.:phanvan

But thanks for the inspiration. I will try to tackle the closet very, very soon.

Oh I am not surprised to see this thread.

I DREAM OF GETTING RID OF MY CLOTHES. I don't even care what the scale says, my dream is growing smaller and donating the 'fat' clothes to charity.

I have sizes all the way down, so won't be shopping too soon.

Congratulations on your liberation.

It must feel AWSOME!

Having done this last year, I know what a big step it is. Kudos!! You've just acknowledged that you will not tolerate ever getting to those sizes again.

actually -for me- it was due to needed MORE room on my side of the closet :biggrin1:

Ya, it is liberating to do that, eh? I did that a couple of months ago and it felt GREAT.....I did it as soon as I could...I didn't want any "bigger" clothes hangin' around to tempt me!! LOL....

It was hard to get rid of some that I had emotional attachments to though!!

Anyways...congrats on doing so!

Isn't that a great feeling. I did it a couple of months ago and I was jumping up and down to see the change is sizes kept going down and down. I can't remember how many years its been since I've was in a size 18 and looking forward to seeing it drop to even a 16 in the next month or so.

Hum, I seem to be different. I've always gotten rid of clothes as soon as they are too big, give them away or sell them on E-bay. Which of course in the past has meant I end up buying new ones as I regain. I do however keep all the ones that are too small. So I have a nice selection of stuff in all different sizes to look forward to.

I plan on doing this today. I finally went to the store a couple of weeks ago to buy clothes that fit and am down from a 26 to a 16. I have been walking around in clothes too big for me since surgery and it did affect what I thought of my weight loss. Now I see that it is very real!

I will bag up my clothes today and take them away! It will be a bit frightening to have so much room in the closet but, hey, here is to new beginings!

:clap2:

Update: I just got back from Goodwill and the woman taking the clothes was so sweet. She will end up with some of them I'm sure. When I told her about my weight loss, she called to her co workers and I was there for 30 minutes boasting about my band. Life is good!