Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Want To Run A Half Marathon!

Hey everyone! I am thinking I want to run a half by my bday in September. I would really like a buddy that is also interested in running. That way, we can share articles, tips and motivate each other. anyone interested?

Moi! I'm hoping to run a half marathon by then too! I'm (crosses fingers) hopefully getting sleeved next month but I already can run a 5K distance (albeit rather slowly. I'm part of a running group called The Turtles!). As for tips the best one I've found so far is to go get fitted for real running shoes by people who know what they're doing. Apparently my feet pronate slightly and these shoes made my ankles, knees and hips feel so much better!

I've run two half marathons this year already and you should look up fern. She has done one and is doing 4 more this year. She can offer a number of tips. You WILL run into special challenges, primarily from our inability to consume calories like others and even though we are taught Protein, protein, and more protein, you will need carbs to complete the race. Best of luck and rock your sleeves!

I am 4 weeks post op and will be doing a half marathon this Sunday... I will be walking and jogging it but hey it's a start and I am excited to do more

All I have to say is YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am having surgery on April 10th and wondering if I will be healed enough to run a 5k by June 10th?

I've run a half and training for a full. It is an amazing experience! I suggest joining a local run club. They give a lot of great advice and general camaraderie. I agree that getting professionally fitted for running shoes is a must. Like Massindex mentioned above we have a few challenges when it comes to hydration, carb loading, and in-run nutrition but all are easily overcome. I'm happy to answer any questions I can. I will be doing 10 miler in Sept and a half in Oct to prep for my marathon.

I am 4 weeks post op and will be doing a half marathon this Sunday... I will be walking and jogging it but hey it's a start and I am excited to do more

Vsg021412- I'm a little worried about you run/walking 13.1 miles just four weeks out from major surgery. That distance is intense for those in the best of health. If you haven't already, please check with your physician and be very careful. I'm not sure your stomach is healed enough to take in the needed fluids and nutrition for this distance.

I am having surgery on April 10th and wondering if I will be healed enough to run a 5k by June 10th?

Hi Arj1016-

This depends on a few factors mainly how quickly you heal, your current fitness level and your goal. If you're okay with a leisurely walk and unconcerned with the finish time then you should be fine. If you're hoping to mainly run and you're not currently a runner that could be problematic. Most surgeons don't clear patients for running until six weeks out which means you'd only have two weeks to train. That just isn't enough time.

I was extremely tired and low on energy until about my sixth week. I couldn't have seriously exercised to save my life... It took all of my energy to get through my day. That quickly picked up in the weeks that followed. I think you have a much greater chance of actually running a 5k closer to five months out. I hope this helps!

Vsg021412- I'm a little worried about you run/walking 13.1 miles just four weeks out from major surgery. That distance is intense for those in the best of health. If you haven't already' date=' please check with your physician and be very careful. I'm not sure your stomach is healed enough to take in the needed fluids and nutrition for this distance.[/quote']

I already saw the Dr and he said I was ok to do so. I was walking 8 miles 4 days after surgery I feel great and belong to a great team who all know of my surgery and have been very supportive and I started with this group 8 weeks before surgery for training. Thank you for your concern :-)

I already saw the Dr and he said I was ok to do so. I was walking 8 miles 4 days after surgery I feel great and belong to a great team who all know of my surgery and have been very supportive and I started with this group 8 weeks before surgery for training. Thank you for your concern :-)

Oh, good. I was really worried. 13.1 is still a big jump from 8 miles while healing, though. Just be sure to listen to your body out there. Okay, I'll shush now. :)

I'm not quite understanding how people are so active immediately after surgery?? I refused the narcotic pain meds and am still very sore. I'm 3 days post op and can't wait to be jogging again but with how sore I am, it won't be for a while!

I want to try a 5k first ever in June!!! :rolleyes:

Vsg021412- I'm a little worried about you run/walking 13.1 miles just four weeks out from major surgery. That distance is intense for those in the best of health. If you haven't already, please check with your physician and be very careful. I'm not sure your stomach is healed enough to take in the needed fluids and nutrition for this distance.

I'm worried about this too!! Please check with your doctor!!

Hey everyone! I am thinking I want to run a half by my bday in September. I would really like a buddy that is also interested in running. That way, we can share articles, tips and motivate each other. anyone interested?

Hey Riss!! Congrats on wanting to run! I just finished my first half marathon a couple weeks ago at Disneyworld. It was awsome!!! I bawled like a baby when I crossed that finish line ;)

I'm doing 4 more this year and my last one booked this year ( so far) is in Disneyland in September. Any questions you have please ask away. Check out the fitness part of the forum. Especially the muscle depletion thread. We talk alot about running and carb loading etc. Can't wait to see those pics of you crossing that finish line!!