Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fiber Intake And Stalls..

One thing I have noticed here, probably because I haven't thoroughly looked around, is the lack of Fiber being mentioned as a possible stall un-stopper. Our Protein centered diets can easily be lacking in enough fiber to keep our eliminatory system from working properly. The longer it stays in there, the more calories absorbed. < (this is just a guess).

Many talk of Constipation which is common after an operation. But after a month or two out don't we need to consider our fiber intake?

I got a box of prunes and a box of Fiber One. I try to eat 2 prunes a day. I sometimes eat a small bowl of Fiber One and drink Water at the same time. I know you are supposed to wait 1/2 hour after eating to drink but I make an exception for Fiber One, it needs the water to do it's job.

Any pros and cons on what I said?

Interesting and yes I have wondered about the fiber as well. It is a question I intend to bring up with my doctor tomorrow at my 10 day Post - Op follow-up. I will use your scenario as a question. :D

weight.png

I've had fiber issues since before surgery, and have been fighting my doctor on it ever since. I was severely constipated the week after surgery. Since then, I use Benefiber daily (4-6tsp daily). I've since gotten hemorrhoids, another sign I needed more fiber so I started incorporating brocolli, Beans, flax, and other foods to bump up the fiber. I've been stalled at 224 for 5 days, but I contribute it more to not being able to exercise with the painful hemorrhoids. I agree, fiber is essential in keeping things moving and healthy -- any doctor who does not see it's value is ignoring a critical fact for the stake of his statistics.

Benefibre and flax seeds are my life line when it comes to number twos... gotta have em daily or no go for Coops!

My doc says after 6 weeks (when I'm back on regular foods) to "aim for a high Fiber eating plan by including non-starchy high fiber carbohydrates".

Good posts!

I have had diverticulitus a number of times before the surgery so fiber has been on my mind.

Benefiber

Flax seeds

Brocolli

Beans

Prunes

all good.

Here is something I swiped from a prune website but applies to any good fiber food:

The insoluble fiber in prunes binds Water inside your intestines, creating larger, softer stools that move easily through your bowels. This effect can prevent and treat Constipation, helping you avoid chronic disorders such as diverticulosis, diverticulitis and hemorrhoids. The soluble fiber from the fruit combines with bile acids in the intestines, forming a gel that's passed in your stools. Your liver pulls cholesterol from its stores to make more bile acids, and then absorbs excess cholesterol from your blood to rebuild its cholesterol stores. The net effect is a reduction in your blood cholesterol level that lowers your risk

of developing coronary heart disease, stroke, heart attack or heart failure.

Read more: http://www.livestron.../#ixzz1p8Hazz6k

I'm glad I came across this thread... I posted something on psyllium fiber a while back and no one replied.... does anyone know if we can take psyllium post op? I mean, eventually? I do this now (I am pre op) and it makes a huge difference in my health. I'd like to keep doing it after I have surgery but unsure about it.

Anybody have any input?

8 weeks out, and I do Benefiber (in low sugar apple juice) daily, flax oil weekly, and Miralax PRN. Unfortunately, none of it has impacted my stall, which is still going strong.

Oh and Q on something you said above - are you reasoning that the longer we go without pooping, the more calories are absorbed by...what?

How much flax seed can you take? Does it work? I've never used it.

There's a product called Fiber Advance that can be purchased at Walmart. It's a gum drop with no refined sugars and two grams of fiber each. The only downside is that the recommended dose, two gum drops, has six grams of carbs.

I stopped worrying about Fiber the second I stopped eating grains (Paleo diet). It's amazing how little nutrition - including fiber - they have compared to fruits and vegetables. I hit 30-50 grams of fiber a day, no supplements needed.

A pint of blackberries will give you more fiber (12 grams!) and nutrients than all these supplements.< /p>

Actually that's not true - I take a fantastic psyllium fiber now and I get well over 25 grams with it with a spoonful. Psyllium fiber is fantastic for you. The problem is that I'm used to it and it's an 8 oz glass of Water mixed with it - which I won't be able to do after surgery. BUT - I also like the Paleo diet and I know berries are good for you... it will just be a while before I can eat those. :) (and believe me that is ON my radar after surgery!!!)

I've read that since you eat so much less after the sleeve surgery that you do not necessarily need to have a BM every day. Do you guys find this to be true?

Gmanbat- thanks for posting! This was a great thread.

Bbj- the contribution u made was interesting. I had no idea that u could consume that many grams of fiber with berries! I've got a lot to learn.

Re the last post about a daily BM- no it doesn't happen daily. I personally was using mom at least once a week. I absolutely hated this. So, I drink an apple juice on my strenuous gym days and I will have tuna on 3/4 slice of the double fiber bread. I was leery of adding the bread, but it is the only "bread" that I consume and it has been doing the trick. :)

I've read that since you eat so much less after the sleeve surgery that you do not necessarily need to have a BM every day. Do you guys find this to be true?

I'm nearing 2 years out, so obviously I eat a fair bit compared to people just out of surgery, but I still only eat maybe 1/3 of what a normal person consumes in one sitting. For what it's worth, I go every single day, up to 3x daily now that I've upped my fiber intake. Raspberries, blackberries, and dragonfruit - if you are not on the crapper 2 hours after consuming one of those, I owe you $50.

I think I might buy some berries...