Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Are You Working Out?

I am 1 month post op today, and have kicked up the exercising.....what are you doing to kick the fat? Today, I did 1 mile of walking, and 4 reps of leg lifts with 50 lbs weights...still have to do bench press, squats, and cardio. Any suggestions on what else I can do? For my cardio, I dance, and play Wii...

Wow you are doing amazing!!! I started jogging a few weeks ago,so now I am jogging 3 times or so per week for 1 hour. I go the gym and I do weights leg press etc. And abs,squats . I do the elliptical for about 60 minutes and sometimes the treadmill for about 35. Stationary bike sometimes for 20. On Sundays I started going hiking with my family. The elliptical is a good cardio exercise , I quiet like it :)

For cardio I really enjoy spinning. I take a spin class at the gyn about 3 times per week. I also ride my bike out doors. I also walk quite a bit - both outdoors and on treadmill. Those are my cardio staples. But also hike, use weights, dance, and yoga, which I LOVE!

I am 1 month post op today, and have kicked up the exercising.....what are you doing to kick the fat? Today, I did 1 mile of walking, and 4 reps of leg lifts with 50 lbs weights...still have to do bench press, squats, and cardio. Any suggestions on what else I can do? For my cardio, I dance, and play Wii...

I am one month out as well, so i am trying to walk as much as possible, but not quite every day yet. Just need to get into the habit. I will not be cleared for full workouts for another two weeks. At this point he said no lifting over 25 pounds. Be careful! You're still healing. :)

I think that for 1 month out you are doing a great job. I want to get back into jogging but I still need to lose a few pounds so that I do not start to have trouble with my knees. They say that jogging is not that good for your joints and since I have been overweight for years I wonder if I will just be adding and doing more harm if I jog. I have been increasing the incline and speed on the treadmill at the gym. I will see how I get along. I also may try the cycle class as you do not get all the shock on your joints.

You guys are doing great. This high lights where I have been so avoidant of exercise. for some reason, I feel like my body is really fragile. It's not,I know, so today I will walk for a while! and ride my recumbant bike. ;)

Maybe I need to wait until after I see my PCP for my heel spur tomorrow. :(

Be careful! Don't do too much too soon. I know everyone is different but I started exercising too soon after and pulled some internal stitch :wacko: that killed me for nearly two months!( I still have no feeling next to my belly button) Make sure your doctor says it's ok. I know how exciting this process is but please take care of yourself. Good luck! :)

Be careful! Don't do too much too soon. I know everyone is different but I started exercising too soon after and pulled some internal stitch :wacko: that killed me for nearly two months!( I still have no feeling next to my belly button) Make sure your doctor says it's ok. I know how exciting this process is but please take care of yourself. Good luck! :)

Oh most certainly!! I called my dr. last week, and asked when I could start to exercise, and they told me to go for it. My nurse in fact said that I may feel some pain near my incisions, but not to panic, just if I feel I've had enough, listen to my body. My legs are very strong, always have been...My main area I need to concentrate on is my stomach....such a round apple!!!!

I'm one week out and the nurse cleared me for all exercise just no heavy lifting. For now I just walk about an hour to an hour and a half everyday. 15-45 min here and there. I'm thinking of adding more cardio and toning in but from what y'all are saying maybe its better to take it slow. My belly button site still hurts also. :/

I wouldn't bench press at 1 month out, unless you are talking super-light weights. I lifted weights before the surgery, so I got back into it faster than Drs recommend (around 2 months), but I started at maybe 50% of what I lifted before the surgery and took it easy until about 3 months.

I swim, it's easier on the joints, builds strength in arms, legs and core and is awsome cardio. I'm 6 months post op and swimming about 2.5 miles a week total.

If you go this route, I would recommend swim leasons. I have been swimming for years but the 30 bucks I spent on a swim for fitness classs was the best money I have spent in years. the coach helped me tune up my stroke and gave me a bunch of different ways to mix up the workouts so I'm not just swimming laps back and forth.

I wouldn't bench press at 1 month out, unless you are talking super-light weights. I lifted weights before the surgery, so I got back into it faster than Drs recommend (around 2 months), but I started at maybe 50% of what I lifted before the surgery and took it easy until about 3 months.

I only bench press 30 lbs for now, because my upper body is very weak. My legs are like a horses...lol!

I walk outside (I hate my treadmill). I use a stability ball and do core exercises with that. I also do Zumba. I've done the real classes, the Xbox version, and I just go the video series. I love all of it, but the Xbox version can be frustrating. I'm glad I have the videos to use at home now.

I started the 10-day challenge today. You do a different DVD every day for 10 days and at the end, you are supposed to be down a pants/dress size.

I also have a few workout DVDs. One I have but haven't tried yet is Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.