Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All Food Still Looks Good.

Ad my surgery on the 9th. The nurses said to work up to drinking 48-60oz of Water. That was a"goal". I start on full liquids tomorrow. As I eat what I am supposed to, I notice the foods my brother and his girlfriend eat. A banana looks good. Haven't had any smell issues or food aversions. Is this normal to see and still want other foods? My stomach is growling all the time and I'm not sure what that's about. I want to make sure that I'm not feeding a stomach that isn't hungry. How do you know what it feels like to be full. What does it feel like if you over eat?

Your stomach is empty. It will growl until you get to where you can have cream Soups or blender foods. Once you get to where you can have more than Protein shakes...you KNOW when you're full. If you overeat, it feels awful. It's happened to me 3 times, and it's because I did not wait long enough between bites, then it was too late. I just walk around until it passes. Takes a while though. Feels like you want to throw up, but not really. This sounds weird, but it makes my eyes hurt. :o I think it's normal to see food and think you want it, but once you start eating... the simplest things are delicious!! Healthy food tastes good!

Thanks Dooter. When did you have your surgery? Also when you were at full liquids how much could you eat. I was able to eat a full sf Jello cup last night. Does that sound about right. I read that some people eat 4-5 bites then they are full yet I was able to eat a full jello cup.

Hi there! I just started week 3 on Sunday (blended food) and I can eat a lot less than I can Jello or Protein shakes!!! I was surprised also when I noticed that I could drink more than a couple of sips, but now that I'm on the creams it's a lot less!!! You just know your full and stop because you have to. As far as wanting other people's food, I'm right there with you!!! I want it in my mouth even thought I don't really feel hungry. Everything smells great, but eventually we'll be able to eat everything even if its just one bite!!!

It's normal to have a lot of head hunger early out, while you're still on liquids. I noticed, for me, that once I got to regular foods, I no longer wanted all the foods I mourned in the beginning. At four months out now, food just isn't all that appealing to me anymore. Don't get me wrong, there are days when I will partake in snacking on slider foods or sweets but I feel like when I do, it's the way anyone who has a "normal" relationship with food would do.

Also, once you have moved to solids you will absolutely KNOW when you are full or have eaten too much. As for the growling in your tummy...it could be acid. Are you taking a PPI like Prilosec? My dr prescribed a PPI for the first 3 months and my tummy never growled or anything....and still doesn't.

Thanks you guys. Yes I am taking Prilosec once a day. Sorry I'm still groggy on pain meds. Hoping pain from largest incision to go away so I can stop with the pain meds.

I recall that after several weeks on liquids I did literally salivate around food! But when I finally started eating mushies, for me at around week 6, one teaspoon was enough!!! The first time I ate a scrambled egg, I took one bit and by bite two I couldn't stand to look at it! It would freak me out! But things do normalize. I noticed that some foods fill me up way more than others. For sure dense Proteins seem to shut everything down. But I have to say, even at 9 1/2 months out, the infamous slider foods do fill me up!!!! There is definitely restriction. Hang in there. Things change daily. In the begining it's mostly about healing, then adjusting, then things settle down and you get a new normal! Congrats on your surgery and best wishes for a super speedy recovery!!!

What are "slider foods"?

Slider foods are foods that go down easily and generally take longer to fill you up (or don't fill you up at all). For me, chips go down very easy so I have to be really careful with them....I LOVE chips and salsa!!...so, I try to just stay away from them.

What are "slider foods"?

Thanks Dooter. When did you have your surgery? Also when you were at full liquids how much could you eat. I was able to eat a full sf Jello cup last night. Does that sound about right. I read that some people eat 4-5 bites then they are full yet I was able to eat a full Jello cup.

My surgery was 2/13. I was on full liquids after week one Clear Liquids was over. Then I could add Protein shakes and cream Soups to my clears. SF Jello did not ever make me full. I mostly got tired of eating it, and my mouth didn't want the last couple bites, but my stomach never felt full from it. Not until I got ahold of the Soup. Then I felt some sensation different than gnawing hunger. ;)