Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dont Wanna Lose Too Much.....

I'M MOST DEF. GOING THROUGH WITH MY SLEEVE SURGERY BUT I AM SOMEWHAT CONCERNED ABOUT LOSING TOO MUCH WEIGHT. I'M ALREADY A LOW BMI'ER. I JUST DON'T WANT THE WEIGHT LOSS TO GET OUT OF CONTROL. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE HAD THEIR SLEEVE SURGERIES...HOW DO YOU STAY AT YOUR GOAL WEIGHT SO THAT YOU DON'T START LOOKING LIKE "THINNER"??

Hi. I am wondering what your starting bmi is? From what understand upon reaching a healthy weight ones weightloss will naturally level off. This process in combination with increasing to maintenance caloric consumption of 1200 to 1500 calories a day rather than the 500 to 900 calories one is consuming during the rapid loss phase should prevent too much loss. Can you discuss this with the dietitian at your surgeons office? I was given a binder with extensive examples of the reduction diet meals and the maintenance phase meals. The quantities of food are miniscule, like 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and so forth. Good luck. Btw, I have not had the surgery so I am not speaking from experience. I am sure a post op person will chime in with more helpful input too.

Thanks ladies!!! Lol!!

Well I started at 233 and today I am 138. I want to maintain between 133-139.

I have been on various boards and only seen 2-3 people have trouble with the loss stopping. If anything, people tend to start slacking at the 6 month point and some bad habits start creeping back in. Then hitting goal gets tricky as you get closer to goal.

I did not want to lose my "curves" but I also did not get my guts butchered to stay "plump". Hubby will get over it and I plan on using weights to define certain areas, also Spanx and Victorias Secret will help out...lol

I can only recommend that you go a tad under goal. The majority of people gain at least 5 pounds back around the 2-3 year mark.

Thank you, crabadams!! That's some good insight!!

One other thing I thought I might just throw in as a general comment. I still have 20# to loose and more and more lately I keep getting comments from people that tell me not to loose anymore weight. I just smile and tell them thank you. I have asked a few very good close personal friends to tell me what they think I weigh and they all have guessed about 10 to 15# less than what I am right now and so it makes it easier to understand why these other people say not to loose more weight. Their perception is not exactly reality. My weight loss goal has been set by my Dr. and that is what I plan to do. He also wants me to have some "play" room so that I have a threshold that I can monitor if things start creeping up too much that I know its time to rein things back in. Also, one other thing that everyone who thinks I shouldn't loose weight don't likely realize is that compression garments give a false impression of how thin you really are. Now, mostly at this point it is to pull the loose skin in, but I can tell the difference between fat and loose skin and I still have some fat in the thigh and midsection that must go.

So, I guess I thought I would throw that out there for you so that as you begin your journey, don't allow others outside your support network of friends/ medical professionals try to tell you what you should or shouldn't do- whatever that is. Just be glad you are starting out with a lower BMI.

Thank you, formervsb!!! That's also some good info I hadn't thought of too!! I will definately keep your words of wisdom in mind!! : )