Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Study Nightmare

Just had my sleep study last night...... All I can say is ugh! I could not sleep to save my life. I was so uncomfortable with all of the wires. I am so worried because I know I must've slept a little but idk if it was enough for them to get results for me.

I am super bummed because this is my last requirement from my surgeon to get my surgery date ( I have already been approved by insurance) so a lot depended on this sleep study. Now I feel like I may have to do it again. :(

Anyone have any tips on how to get through the night with all those wires on u??? I hope I don't have to do it again. :(

I had the same issue I was awake the whole night. Funny thing is they said I had "mild sleep apnea" amazed me because I didn't sleep at all..I went to my psychiatrist and she gave me seroquel for sleep

My sleep study was the opposite. They hooked me up, I got in bed, and fell asleep within 10 minutes. I slept all the way through the night, 8 hours solid. One of the best night's sleep I can remember! It was the next day, with them yanking that stuff out of my hair and then trying to wash it out. I cried, lost so much hair, and my scalp hurt for days!

The funny thing to me was that they said I have "mild" sleep apnea and tried me on the CPAP for a month. Worst month of sleeping ever! I must've tried 30 different masks, but each and every one would leak or make a whistling sound as soon as it got to the first level of pressure. They said I had some contours on my face they made most of the masks not work. They even tried children's masks. I didn't even snore!!

Not sure how to help, other than maybe to drink some hot tea and play some nice music to relax. Speak up if you aren't comfortable in their room: temperature, blankets, etc.

when I had my sleep study done (6 years ago), I felt the same way, I could not get comfortable with all the wires and junk hanging off my head, I swore up and down that I didn't sleep a wink all night, they said that I slept but not soundly, after half the night, they came in and put a c-pap on me, it was the best I've ever slept, I was diagnosed with severe obstructive sleep apnea. I've been using one ever since then and honestly can't sleep without it, doesn't matter how tired I get, no sleep without it. it does take some getting used to, it took me about 3 weeks of using it every night to get where I don't notice it.

there are tons of different masks out there to try and one or another will work for you, I have a friend that uses one and he has the strangest shaped face I know, he uses the nasal pillows which are small round pads that press aganst the bottom of the nose and swears by them.

The first time I had a sleep study (about five years ago) was a nightmare. They couldn't get any results because I "didn't sleep enough." Duh! That's why I was in a sleep study in the first place. LOL. The second time I used a prescription sleep medication (Ambien) to help me through the night and it worked like a charm. Maybe use an OTC sleep med or ask your doc for a prescription. Sometimes that's the only way to deal with all those wires.

I had some benadryl before going to my study and I slept like a baby LOL

I wish I would've thought of takin something :) lol if I have to do it over I will definitely need some medication :)

My first sleep study was about 3 weeks ago and after two hours, the tech came in and told me I 'met the criteria". He put a CPAP mask on me and I slept well for the rest of the night. He was not allowed to say how severe it was, but I thought that was the last of it. Imagine my surprise when I got a call wanting me to schedule another sleep study. Didn't do so well on this one, as I slept well on my side with the mask, but he needed more data as I slept on me back. I couldn't get back to sleep for the rest of the night. He told me as he unhooked me in the morning that the Dr. may want a third study, as he would not put me on the table if I had a chance to stop breathing, so that terrified me. Turns out, they're going to intubate me, as they do everyone else on the table, so this is not a concern any more. I got a call from my PCP today telling me that someone would be contacting me soon to schedule an appointment to fit me with a mask. Crisis over. The mask didn't bother me as bad as getting woke up no less than 4 times during the 2nd sleep study. I think I'll be able to get used to it.