Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baby Food During Mushies Stage?

I am not very creative in the kitchen. I was just wondering if anyone ate baby food during thier mushies/pureed stage post-op? If so, what brand did you buy and flavors? Thanks!

I had planned to, but found it wasnt necessary. Here's what I ate during the mushies stage:

Breakfast choices

Cottage cheese w/Canned peaches

oatmeal w/1 pat of real butter and Splenda

One egg, scrambled (keep it moist, some ppl stick on eggs, use caution)

Choices for other meals

Canned tuna w/2 tablespoons of fat free 1,000 island dressing

Bean with bacon Soup (very good, warm, savory and filling!)

Gorton's frozen (unbreaded) fish fillets ... MM still a favorite of mine

Frozen peas n carrots (cooked of course)

Canned green Beans

Applesauce

These choices will give you a good supply of Protein and all are easy to make too! Open a can, heat on the stove or toss in the microwave for a few minutes.

I WAS going to do that (for those days when I thought I would think "maaaan, what can I have")...and I even bought some.

However....then I actually tried them.

Ummm............ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

I can't believe we make babies eat that crap!!!!!!

I totally agree with Yoda, that baby food is just disgusting, it is no wonder babies are alway spitting that crap out.... I did too - cant blame em. I also wanted to add about eggs, If you scramble an egg with a little bit of grated cheese in it, that makes them softer, you put the cheese right into the raw egg before you cook it. They give me no problem at all that way- and really does not take much.

I ate it. Hawiian Delight/Gerbers is my favorite. Keep it for after my fills too. The turkey dinner was good too after I added some salt/pepper. But only did that once. I like the custards and fruits too. The peaches with a little ricotta was good. Added the Gerbers chicken to some broth and it made good soup.... but DO NOT get the beef... yuck!

Other than that SF Jello Pudding/Protein Shakes/Yogurt/Ice Cream were my staples.

Good luck!

Thankfully... I'm so happy that in all my years of banding, I've been able to just use regular foods and make it, even during mushies and purees.

I don't have kids, never want to deal with baby food in any form. (Totally unappetizing.)

It was easier at the soft food phase. (Of course the normal suggestions are cottage cheese, yogurt, Soups, side dishes, and those sorts of things that you can buy at the grocery store.)

Since I don't cook either - and eat out for most of my meals - I literally found it easier to get things on the go. I even had to eat Fast Food during this phase. I don't normally eat that stuff (I don't eat any red meat or pork, even before banding) so for me, it's easy to go thru some of those quick places without being tempted to eat other things on the menu. That stuff is usually nasty to me:cry , so I just get what fits my food plan, and go.

At Taco Bell, for example (There's always one of those nearby) the pintos-n-cheese is a little small container. Before I was 'filled' I could almost two of them. They are tasty and full of Protein, no cooking required.

At McDonalds (yuck, they're the worst) try the Yogurt Parfait (have them keep the separate crunchy granola topping).

I can't stand KFC but people say their Mashed Potatoes & Gravy are easy to eat on the run. That's just not my style.

At Quizno's Subs I enjoyed the regular (not large) Broccoli and cheese Soup. It's not as high in calories as you'd think. In fact, all of their Soups are quite tasty. YUM

Again these are all choices if you're not tempted by other things on their menus that might be band-unfriendly for a new Post Op. But for me, it helped me get through a difficult phase with little interruption.

Thankfully... I'm so happy that in all my years of banding, I've been able to just use regular foods and make it, even during mushies and purees.

I don't have kids, never want to deal with baby food in any form. (Totally unappetizing.)

It was easier at the soft food phase. (Of course the normal suggestions are cottage cheese, yogurt, Soups, side dishes, and those sorts of things that you can buy at the grocery store.)

Since I don't cook either - and eat out for most of my meals - I literally found it easier to get things on the go. I even had to eat Fast Food during this phase. I don't normally eat that stuff (I don't eat any red meat or pork, even before banding) so for me, it's easy to go thru some of those quick places without being tempted to eat other things on the menu. That stuff is usually nasty to me:cry , so I just get what fits my food plan, and go.

At Taco Bell, for example (There's always one of those nearby) the pintos-n-cheese is a little small container. Before I was 'filled' I could almost two of them. They are tasty and full of Protein, no cooking required.

At McDonalds (yuck, they're the worst) try the Yogurt Parfait (have them keep the separate crunchy granola topping).

I can't stand KFC but people say their Mashed Potatoes & Gravy are easy to eat on the run. That's just not my style.

At Quizno's Subs I enjoyed the regular (not large) Broccoli and cheese Soup. It's not as high in calories as you'd think. In fact, all of their soups are quite tasty. YUM

Again these are all choices if you're not tempted by other things on their menus that might be band-unfriendly for a new Post Op. But for me, it helped me get through a difficult phase with little interruption.

Thanks for that info! With 3 kids, I always end up at a fast food place once in a while and I was wondering what to do about it.

I tried some baby food. A friend of mine who has a baby told me that babyfood fruit can actually be pretty tasty.

LIES! ALL LIES.

It was gross. I've got three jars of Gerber stage 3 and not a clue what to do with them.

Yep! I did baby food. Definately recommend it if you want it.

3 weeks of no real food was a type of food death. No texture, no crunching, no spicy, no FLAVOR.. blah blah blah. VERY hard to do.

Baby food offers many different flavors in the mushy phase - and this is the phase your appetite is awakening!

So I say blah to those bland puddings/yogurt flavors and get some Gerber peach cobbler and get after it! This was one of my favorite flavors.

Just a FYI: most of the foods mentioned above were ok'ed for later post-op phases, but NOT the first 3 weeks of being banded.

re which ones I recommend...

all dessert flavors in phase 3.

Hawiian Delight IS good like Poodles said, also the fruit salad, peach cobbler - any of the cobblers are good. I cant remember any of the other names.

Oh, and due to the high carb content, I limited myself to 1 a day.