Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was sleeved on Feb 28, 2012 and I have been doing so well. Today for some unknown reason I at a piece of lunch meat. It scared me so bad. I called the doctor and they asked if I am having pain, I am not. I had my check up and barium swallow yesterday and everything is fine. I am still totally freaking out and I am embarassed. I am posting this because I hope I am not the only one to have messed up. Also I just need reassured that I will most likely be okay as long as I stay on the diet put forth from my doctor.

Did you chew, chew, chew? It should be fine. I don't know how nutritious the lunchmeat is. I am 10 days out and eat 2oz. of rotisserie turkey breast and I am fine!

Thank you so much for your response. Yes I am 9 days out. I have lost 15 lbs so far. I did chew very well. It just really scared me after I realized what I had done. The doctors post op diet is 3 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies and then on to small portions. Thanks again!

I'm 25 days out and just BARELY started blenderized, mushy food. It may have been way too soon to be eating something that solid. Some meats are hard to tolerate so early. And don't worry. This won't be your last "OOPS". Heehee. the early phases of liquid and mushy food is for quality of healing. You'll be fine if you stick with whatever plan your doc prescribed. :)

I had my surgery on the 27th, so I've got one day on you. I cheated, although not with meat. I had a spoonful of cottage cheese last night and it wasn't at all comfortable. I too, was scared. I see my doctor for my two week follow up on Monday. If he gives me the OK, I am allowed to do soft foods and soft meats. I was up all night, so I know how you feel! I was supposed to do 2 weeks of liquids, and then 6 weeks of soft foods. But I needed something, and I thought cottage cheese would have been ok....I feel your pain but at least you are OK!

You should be fine. Every Dr. is different and of course we all should follow our own surgeon's guidelines. My surgeon has 2 weeks of fluids and then 4 weeks of soft or mushies and believe it or not lunch meat (low fat/preferably low sodium) is on my list. My fiance's Dr. had him on that same list 10 days post op.

Chewing is the key! Until it gets super mushy in your mouth I wouldn't swallow. Also, super tiny bites has been working for me.

Good luck to you on the rest of your journey and don't be too hard on yourself. :)

I started eating solid food when I was supposed to be on full liquids (2 weeks to 4 weeks out). I didn't do that all the time, but VERY occasionally I ate flaky fish, mashed potatoes and gravy, turkey breast slices, ham slices, cheese and the like. I don't recommend it, but it's not going to kill you.

My surgeon was strict: 2 weeks clear liquid, 2 weeks full liquid, 2 weeks pureed/mushy ... then solids slowly. Hah, my first day of solids I was chewing on a ribeye bone. Could not eat much, but YUM!

Did you absent mindedly pop in in? Funny :-)

I have been eating pureed food since 5 days post op. Stange how different offices have you eating differently...I am doing great! and pureed turkey with a tiny bit of mayo tastes like a prime rib dinner to my tummy! LOL

You guys are so great, thanks. I think I was causing myself pain by stressing out thinking that I am going to cause a leak and then die. I am so dramatic. I am loving this site.

I have been eating pureed food since 5 days post op. Stange how different offices have you eating differently...I am doing great! and pureed turkey with a tiny bit of mayo tastes like a prime rib dinner to my tummy! LOL

I have an idea for you. Mayo has about 100 calories per Tbs. That would be fine it it had more Protein, but it's all fat. Try this that I learned from TheworldaccordingtoEggface.com: Mix plain Greek yogurt with just about anything (avocado, blue cheese, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, etc) and add it to your meats as a dip or like chicken salad. It will add a LOT of Protein and cut the calories by as much as 80% I think.

Today I had some grape tomatoes and the Greek yogurt avocado mix. It made THE BEST little salad and it was protein packed.

You guys are so great' date=' thanks. I think I was causing myself pain by stressing out thinking that I am going to cause a leak and then die. I am so dramatic. I am loving this site.[/quote']

Hiya !!! I had my surgery the 24th ! And today I eat some tuna and mayo ! I was so so scared as well ! Freking out, I'm so glad to read all this comments make me feel better :) X x

You should be just fine - just make sure that you're careful from now on - pushing the limits can cause a leak - just stick to your post op diet and you'll be good to go!

I have an idea for you. mayo has about 100 calories per Tbs. That would be fine it it had more Protein, but it's all fat. Try this that I learned from TheworldaccordingtoEggface.com: Mix plain Greek yogurt with just about anything (avocado, blue cheese, caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, etc) and add it to your meats as a dip or like chicken salad. It will add a LOT of Protein and cut the calories by as much as 80% I think.

Today I had some grape tomatoes and the Greek yogurt avocado mix. It made THE BEST little salad and it was protein packed.

THANKS!!! I have yet to try Greek Yogurt....top of my shopping list!! Blessings~Melanie:)

Did you chew, chew, chew? It should be fine. I don't know how nutritious the lunchmeat is. I am 10 days out and eat 2oz. of rotisserie turkey breast and I am fine!

i just told my DH that on my tomb stone i want written 'chew, chew, chew' :rolleyes: kathy

This is just an example of the different diets that patients are given by the many different surgeons and NUTS out there. I was not eating cold meats until at least a month out. I do not understand why there is such a great difference from what one program says you can eat to another. We all have similiar stomachs and have basically had the same surgery. I am glad that I took it slow and stayed on the liquids and then onto soft pureed foods before finally starting on eggs and sliced meats and cheese.< /p>