Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out Of Pocket Expenses?help!

Okay, so i found out today my insurance does NOT cover bariatric surgery.

I found a doctor in las vegas that does one of those all inclusive deals . I would be self pay through a finance company.

Here are my questions: (questions are hi lighted in pink !)

Has anyone ever used dr umbach in las vegas with self pay?

These are the things that they require : How much out of pocket would that be ???

-The office requires

* Surgical Clearance

* EKG

* Pre-operative Labs: (" CMP" Lipid Panel

" " " Glycohemoglobin" Insulin

" " " Vitamin B12" Vitamin B1

" " " Vitamin D-25 OH" Ferritin

" " " CBC" Folate

" " " TSH" PTH)

What finance company is most likely to give me the medical loan? My credit is good. I do have one credit card (5000 dollars on it....paying it off now, and about 4000 owed on my car payment) but i pay every month wihtout fail.) I never ever miss payments.

Any help would be appriciated.

Have you considered Mexico, I am having surgery on March 20 with Dr ponce de leon and it is roughly $6000. The only out of pocket expenses you will need is tips for the driver and maybe some food (?) drinks, etc.

Yea I considered it. I decided I'd rather stay in the US Just wondering how much the pre op testing costs. Incase for some reason my insurance wont cover that either!!! I'm starting to wonder why i even have insurance.

My lab work each time was $1,500.00 dollars that was billed from hospital to insurance. (looked like the same things you listed above)

I'm self pay in Houston and I was able to get my insurance to pay part of my sleep study, scope and blood work procedures....see if his office can do it...if the insurance still will not pay, atleast it buys you some time before you have to pay for it!

The only info I can give you is this: I just had a thorough bloodwork panel done with I believe all the things that were required for you also. Labcorp BILLED my insurance $1079, but I KNOW my insurance won't pay that much. I also was billed $6900 for the sleep study and $975 for the surgeon to read the sleep study (that was just the first one, not the 2nd one where they put the cpap on you and monitor you again (unless its all one price, waiting to see). I wonder if you could go through your primary care doc and get all of the stuff done through your insurance not under the "bariatric surgery" umbrella but under general medical. Then just get a copy of everything and give it to the surgeon. Here is a link to the surgeon I am using (with my insurance) and his self pay price. http://www.drdkim.net/html/bariatric-weight-loss-surgery-payment-options-dallas-tx.html Also, I have learned to call and question insurance 3-5 times on what I want to know. HR departments sometimes can be a better help. Also, i had a situation where a doctor billed insurance and claim was denied. Reason: Code given was for "obesity" not "morbid obesity". ((humiliating to have to call and figure it out)). You may want to find out if your insurance would cover you if you have complications from the surgery. Unfortunately, that has been a reality for some. Good luck on your journey!!!

Dr. Umbach is my surgeon, and I am self-pay. Luckily, though, my insurance covered all my pre-op lab work. Have you received your packet from Dr. U. yet? If not, in it you will find the release form to be signed by your primary care dr. On the form it lists the tests Dr. U. requires. When I took it to my PCP he ordered all the tests for me, and I just had the co-pay to pay.

thanks JS, thats where i copied the tests from. Hopefully my insurance would cover it. Going to call tomorrow and see if i could switch to a different plan that will cover surgery so i wont have to travel. worse comes to worse i found Umbach and washington (a doc in SC) that i'd be interested in. Such a pain in the butt these insurance companies. what am i paying all this money for a month if they wont cover surgery. uggghhhh

I too would not consider Mexico for many reasons but if you won't consider that either then you do have options.

I'm in Cali and have an amazing dr but it's good to find someone close to you for all your visits pre and post op.

My total was 20k. I used my insurance for the Pysch visit and the endoscopy. The dr I used has a nutritionist on site an that visit was $25.

My cost includes all other lab work, my hospital stay and 5 years after care visits for check ups and nutritionist.

Because I was self pay I did not have to have the sleep study as that is something only an insurance company requires.

My ins co.(Cigna) had pre approved me after a 6 month diet monitored by a dr and three weeks befor surgery I was denied! I went through with it anyway.

Most all doctors have a finance company they work with for cash payments and I suggest you check into your dr office for that advice.

It was worth it to me! I know I could have paid less than half that in Mexico but the pre op and post po care needed to be close to me and for my family to be with me, as my hubby insisted on spending the night, it was just important!

Anyway there's lots of options so just do your research! I had seen two dr's before finding mine who had a seminar and then a consultation I went to.

I clicked right away And that was overall important. I read every review I could about him and asked tons of questions and was very happy with my choices.

Good luck to you!

There is a doctor in South Carolina that is doing it all inclusive for 8000.00. Yes, 8000. That's Mexico cheap!

www.coastalbariatric.com

I paid $5500 in MX, which covered all testing, meds, post-op leak tests and a very nice hotel stay the 3rd and 4th day after being released from the hospital. I have NEVER had better or care or an easier recovery. We absolutely have to feel comfortable about our choice in location and Surgeon. It's not just about where the surgery is performed, or how much the cost, but how many Sleeves the surgeon has done and how much experience, and complication rates. Good luck on your weight loss journey!!

:)

I completely agree with you! Sometimes Mexico is not an option for some folks. I was just letting people know of an affordable surgeon, if they couldn't get to MX. I think a person has to go with whom they believe to be most qualified, regardless of where they are located.

I paid $5500 in MX, which covered all testing, meds, post-op leak tests and a very nice hotel stay the 3rd and 4th day after being released from the hospital. I have NEVER had better or care or an easier recovery. We absolutely have to feel

comfortable about our choice in location and Surgeon. It's not just about where the surgery is performed, or how much the cost, but how many Sleeves the surgeon has done and how much experience, and complication rates. Good luck on your weight loss journey!!

:)

You may be able to have a physical with your primary Dr and ask him to do that testing as part of the physical then just fax results to Dr Umbach. Many times physicals are covered 100%.

thanks all. @lipstick....i actually found him a couple days ago. I spoke with the girls at his office today and i was approved for 7000. so its only 1000 out of pocket :) im calling tomorrow to find out what to do about the consultation with the doctor and hopefully schedule my date!!!! things turned around, just glad i was approved for 7000 :D and i get a 12 day vacation out of it! They require you to stay 12 days to make sure everythings ok so my moms going to do half the trip with me and my boyfriend will do the other half. The tests are included in the 8000 too....and so is the consultation (incase anyone else is wondering)

I'm going through Dr Washington! Already had my consult and surgery date is April 25th... He's so nice and so are all the girls in his office i have spoke with!