Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 2Nd Nutrition Appointment- Waste Of Time And Money

I'm almost at two months out. I've lost 45 pounds. 18 from the pre-op diet and the rest after surgery. They tell me I'm losing weight at the pace of a bypass patient. But I've also been exercising 4 days a week since the day I came home from the hospital. Cardio and weights. So I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it. I'm amazed at how fast my body is transforming. I don't think I was mentally prepared for it. It's weird.

Anyway, a little story about Dr. Halmi. (Dr. Nain was my surgeon). I was walking the corridors one afternoon and I saw him in the hallway coming out of one of his patients' room. He got a smile on his face, put his hand on my shoulder and asked how I was doing. I said I was feeling pretty good. He patted me on the shoulder and said it was good to see me walking around.

I know it seems like such a small encounter, but he was so nice and friendly and seemed genuinely happy to see that I was doing so well. When you see Karen and Stephania at Potomac Hospital for your visit, they'll tell you what a "rock star" Dr. Halmi is. And now I know why. He's a really sweet caring man.

WOW, that is INCREIDABLE! I hope I have as much success as you!!!

Dr. Halmi and Dr. Nain have both been very nice. I am praying for a safe surgery and quick recovery. One question I have, how long was it before you was allowed to exercise??? I exercise regularly now and will defintly continue after the surgery as soon as I am allowed.

Also, how did you like Opti-Fast? I pick up my delivery today and I start the diet on Wednesday. I hope i like it enough to at least swallow it! LOL -_-

I hear ya I was sleeved in Mexico and found a Dr in WA to take me on as a patient so I have to be seen 3 months out and they need to me meet with their Nut and it is going to cost me $200 since it is not covered under my insurance.

I was fine with the Optifast. The Soups are incredible. I really liked them. In fact, I traded some of my shakes for extra Soups. I got tired of the sweet shakes all the time. And I lost 18 pounds on the liquid diet so that was great!. I didn't want to work out too much during that period because I felt like I wasn't consuming that many calories to begin with so I just limited myself to arm weights. I know that losing weight makes you lose muscle tone, so I really wanted to counteract that as much as possible. So every day, I did 10 pound arm weights. Then the day after surgery, I started the 10 pound arm weights again. I got permission from the nurse before I left the hospital.

I believe once my QBall was depleted I went back to the gym (but I asked the nurse before I did it). I was still on 10 pound weight restriction and wasn't allowed to do any exercises that twisted my body (like elliptical or any dance-type of classes). So I just did bike and treadmill and 10 pound arm weights, and maybe a few squats. I'm so glad I did because not only is my weight down, I can totally see the difference in my body.

Oh I forgot. You get some bars with the Optifast. You're allowed one a day. They have 3 varieties, one of which is chocolate. Of course, I didn't get the chocolate. I had the other two and I didn't like them at all. So while you're there, see which bars they give you and see if you can swap a few for the chocolate. But who knows? You may like the other bars as well.

So, are you excited yet? Two weeks away!

I'm excited about getting it going! I just saw Dr. Halmi this morning for my pre-op visit and everything is just about done. I can't do the Optifast because I'm allergic to milk Protein. I'm doing okay with whey so it must be Casein the allergist had tested me on. Those pre-made liquid Protein drinks make we really sick. I am supposed to do about 1,000 calories a day, drinking Protein shakes and one lean meal a day. Dr. Halmi said he wanted me to lose 10 lbs these next two weeks.

I'll have to pull out my hand weights. That's a good idea, Debby. You are right too.... he is a really caring man. I knew that upon our first meeting.

Thanks for giving me hope! I start the diet on Wednesday morning! Its going to be a ruff begining, since I am on business travel starting Wednesday, but I will do my best! I defintely plan to exercise. I am going to do a full day of cardio tommorow...and then on Wednesday I am going to start a lighter routine. I think I am cut back to 30 mins of Cardio 3 times a week and streagthn training twice week. I usally do 45 mins on the ellpetical or bike..and 2 days of Taebo and Zumba, including 2 days of streagth training. So, hopefully that will be not too streanous!

I wish I had know about the chocolate bars! I will have to stop by and switch them. They gave me some berry and Peanut Butter ones. Oh and am getting a little excitied...tommorow i visit the hospital and have my last set of testing done! :)

I'm happy to hear such good things about Dr. Halmi. I've only met him at the first appt. Bluepoint has been helpful so far... I'm happy with the way these are going

Hi! Are any of you still around? I'm having sleeve with Dr Halmi at the end of the month and I was just wanted to say hi and see how you all we're doing after the fact.

Hi dadici! I'm still around and doing well. My surgery was uneventful which is always a good thing and I am losing weight at what seems about average. I love my sleeve and feel that Dr. Halmi did a great job. Ask away if you have any specific questions.

Hi KBT, that's great to hear! I'm glad you're having a good outcome. I guess the two obvious questions are how has follow up care been? And are you going to their support groups/did you find them helpful? How long did they end up keeping you in the hospital for? Is there anything you wish you'd known to ask about before the surgery?

I'm excited, but nervous now that it's "real" I appreciate hearing from someone who's actually been through it with my dr!

I had my surgery at Fair Oaks Inova and was there for two nights. I was dry heaving on the second day anytime I tried to take a sip of liquid so that's why I ended up staying the extra night. I was fine the next day and was happy to go home. I have not seen Dr. Halmi since the hospital stay as the PAs seem to do all of the follow-up. I'm sure I could see him if I had problems or insisted to see him.

Dr. Halmi was great. I have massive amounts of scar tissue in my abdomen from prior open surgeries and he knew I was concerned about it being a problem. I was hoping he would not have to open me up which would create even more scar tissue because of the exposure to air. My surgery ended up taking 3 hrs and 20 minutes which is much longer than normal. He said that it took him well over an hour to find his way around the scar tissue before he could even start the surgery. And no, he didn't have to open me up. I would think many surgeons would have given up sooner.

My aftercare with the PAs has been good but honestly, they haven't told me anything that I didn't already know from reading these forums. I've seen a NUT a couple of times but again, didn't really learn anything new. I took what they gave me ahead of time and I follow the basic guidelines and just use my common sense for the rest. For example, they said no straws, well I found that I could get a LOT more fluids in if I use them and I don't get excess air that many on here talk about. I just figured out what works for me. I had blood work done at the three month mark and I'm scheduled for it again at the six month mark so they definitely try to make sure you are healthy and they are definitely there to answer any questions.

I have not gone to any support group meetings though I know they have them. I have been working long hours of about 10-12 hours a day plus a 3-hour round trip commute since late June so just don't have time for them. Plus, I can get all the support and questions answered right here online. My busy season at work is now ending so I'm hoping to start working an 8-hour day again. Yea!!!

With the Internet and forums to get all your questions answered, I can't really say there is anything I wished I had known ahead of time because you see just about everything here. I am very, very happy with my weight loss and the change in my eating patterns. I am a very cheap date now and can usually find something to eat at any restaurant. The first few weeks are a little rough with the liquid diet and wondering if I will ever be able to eat real food again but it does get better and just keep that in your mind when you go through those first weeks. Life is back to normal now but with a LOT less food. I like it! :)

Good luck with your surgery!

Hi, I'm still here too :) and made it through surgery. I had mine on August 6th with Dr. Moazzes or how ever u spell it (I knew a month ago), I had to change from Dr.Halmi because of scheduling. I stayed at Fair Oaks for 1 night, I could have stayed 2 but was ready to get home. Which my first night and day home were horrible. I was so nauseous I couldn't function. I finally got the patch to wear behind my ear and felt 100% better, so ask for that if u r feeling bad. I couldn't drink much for a few days. The first few weeks are different of course, but it does go by quick. About 5 weeks out I got really sick of mushy food, so week 6 I started back on real food, which has gone good for me. I actually am feeling better since having real food in my stomach. I still have a problem with getting in all my Protein and all my fluids. Last week I think I was a bit dehydrated so watch out for that, I just tried to drink what I could. Right now gaterade light is my drink. It has changed like 3 times....

After care has been good for me, I agree they don't tell u anything you don't know already from these forums. I also am bad at taking all my Vitamins everyday....

Now I'm terrified about my Hair loss, its coming....

People r starting to notice more and I am noticing the weight loss more too, its nice :)

If u have any ?s (anyone) or whatever, I check this site daily...and its nice to share with people from the same doctor group

Hi All,

Thank you for your posts. I'm a patient at Bluepoint and am hoping to have surgery in Nov or Dec of this year. It's great to hear the nice comments about the surgeons. I will have my surgery at Fair Oaks and would be happy with either Moazzez or Halmi. I originally met with Dr. Anez who is on his own, but he doesn't do the sleeve and after much reading, I realized the sleeve is best for me. Halmi agreed.

Anywho, thanks for the Optifast tips, too. I am curious about the 3-month nutrition requirements with Bluepoint. I will meet with their nutritionist but I have also met with one already twice. My next appt with the first nutritionist is Oct 18th. I should have everything else ready at this point, so I'm hopeful that I can then get approved soon after the 18th. I would really like to have surgery sooner rather than later. What was your experience with Bluepoint?

Rachel