Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Did You Tell Your Friends?

I only told my two daughters and my mom about the surgery, but only after it was over. (Of course my husband knew all along). But I don't know what to tell friends when the time comes that they notice that I am losing weight. SOmetimes I feel ashamed or embarassed that I had the surgery- as if I couldn't do this on my own. If I could have lost the weight and kept it off all these years, I surely would have. So, now, I just might tell them that I am on a high Protein, low carb diet, which I am. Did you tell everyone that you had the surgery?

I tell everyone. I'm proud of my decision to have this procedure and am very grateful. Everyone who I have shared this with have been very supportive. One of my best friend's was scared and till this day, she still doesn't understand, But that's ok, she can research the procedure for information. I like to be up front because when they see a significant weight loss, they're going to ask questions anyways. Then the conflict comes when they feel like I didn't trust them. So, I had decided, I wasn't going to worry about it, I'd just tell them. No problems so far. Totally happy with being open with others. ;)

im a very private person, and i dont want to be judged, i know i shouldnt care about what other people think, but i do, So i will just tell my daughter and my brother, whose a RN for support. :unsure:

I have only told 3 good friends, my mum and my siblings. One of the friends had the procedure done last year so no fear of judgment there; one asked a lot of questions but was supportive and the other is totally with me on it. I think it is no one's business how I achieve my weight loss and that's just my personal view on the matter. They would notice the weight loss and all I would say is "thanks" to compliments and "well it was about time I took my health seriously and eat right" to the question "how are you doing it?"

See people can be very judgmental and this is a very emotional decision and given that they have not lived our lives I think they need to mind their business and I'll mind mine. I am happy with my choice and I am not going to allow anyone to dampen that.

I tell every one.. I am very happy about what i did and dont care that people think i took the easy way out. Because if they knew any thing about the "easy way out" they would know there is nothing easy about it. There are all kinds of small problems that i have had since surgery but i would do it all over again that is for sure.

I have only told 3 good friends, my mum and my siblings. One of the friends had the procedure done last year so no fear of judgment there; one asked a lot of questions but was supportive and the other is totally with me on it. I think it is no one's business how I achieve my weight loss and that's just my personal view on the matter. They would notice the weight loss and all I would say is "thanks" to compliments and "well it was about time I took my health seriously and eat right" to the question "how are you doing it?"

See people can be very judgmental and this is a very emotional decision and given that they have not lived our lives I think they need to mind their business and I'll mind mine. I am happy with my choice and I am not going to allow anyone to dampen that.

I love ur post! Everything you said rings true for me. Im very happy with my choice , 2 :D because it is about me, for me !! just dont want the haters on the side lines !

I too am a pretty priviate person. I have told most (people I work with and at my gym), that I lost my weight with my doctors help! I gave blood; and had a diet designed specifically for me. (we is true....)

There are people who are closer too me, that I have divulged all information.

I say, it's a matter of choice whether you TELL or NOT TELL.

I told my husband, and my 2 best friends. I have not told any other family members. Oh, I also told a medical doctor I go to for minor illnesses. He was the worst! Oh, you might as well lose it on your own since you have a pre-op diet anyway, you can gain it back, I don't think you have that much to lose....etc.

I have told just about everyone. Yes, there are those who do not agree (my mother was the most vocal protestor), but I did this for MY LIFE! Obesity is a disease and I am using this surgery as a tool, as I would any disease that could benefit from a surgery... My response to those that think this is the 'easy way' is that this is the most difficult decision I have ever made, and its not going to make me skinny overnight. I must work hard for it. Physically, and mentally, as I have had a lifelong love affair with food.

And for those who do not believe me, or believe in me, forget them, "good for me, I found the 'easy way'" (<---someone on here told me that! Lol!!)

I haven't had my surgery yet, but I don't plan on telling anyone except my mom and husband. I am private and don't like judgment from others. I plan on telling them the same, I started eating right, watching my diet closely and exercising and say thank you for any complements. I find when someone complements me I feel some need to explain myself more, such as someone saying I like your coat and my response is thanks I got it at...., so when I get a remark on any weight loss I will have to just stop at the thankyou and the rest is no ones bussiness.

I started dieting a month before surgery so I was already losing weight. I had the surgery on Thursday and was back at work on Tuesday morning. Only missed one day of my morning walk with my friend. I have been exercising 5+ days a week. Nobody suspects I had surgery. Only my huband, and a few close relatives know about my surgery. I'm not going to tell anyone. I will just continue to eat right and exercise as not to gain the weight back. Surgery is the best thing I ever did for myself. I won't be judged or hear jealous comments if nobody knows. I personally like it this way. I'm glad I have a choice to tell or not to tell. Good for those of you who want to tell.

I told everyone! I had two other friends at work who have had wls and they were very open about it and it really helped me. Watching them and being able to talk with them about it really helped me make the decision to have it done for myself, so I feel like if I am open about it then maybe I can help someone else especially since the few that have had wls had the RNY or the band where I work I am the only sleeve.

Amanda

I like to just be real in everything I do. I know folks are gonna talk, so I head up all the gossip and questioning. After I have the surgery folks who haven't seen me in FOREVER will assume I lost a few pounds. Others who have known me recently are gonna start all kinds of rumors. I'll probably wait till they're all lookin stupid, and say, "I had surgery what is the big deal". They will probably scatter like roaches. If they didn't have the guts to ask me to my face what was going on.....they deserve to be made to look dumb.

;)

At first I told my husband and my close family that I was thinking of doing it, and when it was done, I posted it on Facebook!

When I was doing my research I was looking for people who could share their experiences with me ( before I found this board) and if everybody knows I did it and they have questions about the surgery, then they know I am approachable to answer their questions!