Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Week Post Op. Worst Patient Ever!

I have to be the worst post op patient ever. I was sleeved 2/24 and have had a few bites of Pasta, chocolate cream cheese and mashed potatoes! I am out of control. None of these items bother me and I can't get myself back on track. I need help! I was 224 when I started the process, 210 surgery day and have been at 200 the last three days. I know it's the garbage I'm eating but I cannot find the strength to get back on track. How badly am I hurting myself? Tough love please!!

Early out, it's not unusual for people to eat a little runny mashed potato or refried Beans because they go down easy. But then we transition to more Proteins as we can tolerate them, because we really need to get the Protein in, and with our small capacities it's important to eat Protein first if/when possible. There's just not a lot of room to eat more.

As far as getting back on track, you just have to really make sure you try to keep only things you need to have around you and get rid of all the junk. You have to resolve to do what is necessary. When I feel weak and want something, I ask myself which I want more, to continue losing weight and becoming healthy, or eating something that will sabotage my weightloss. I try not to make anything completely off limits, because it just makes me want it more, but I only let myself have a bite or two rarely and then I am ok. I try to keep a lot of choices such as Protein shakes, Protein Bars, cottage cheese, string cheese, almonds, pecans, pistachios, etc around. I change things up if I get bored and try out low carb recipes. The biggest thing that keeps me on track is because I don't want to have gone thru the whole process of getting weight loss surgery and not giving it a 100% chance to work for me.

P.S. In your case you are only a wk out so that really limits your choices, but at this point it is the most important time to follow your post-op diet because of your new staple line. You don't want to cause yourself unnecessary complications.

Edited by KellyL

I'm not judging, and I'm only writing this to remind you of what's at stake. If you're one week post op, it's just too soon for solids. You could get a leak and that could be life-threatening. An overwhelming majority of surgeons say that eating any sorts of solids, even mushies, before the two-week mark could cause leaks.

Hope you find a way to get things under control! I know I will seen be facing the same struggles!

I think I would recommend seeing a therapist who specializes in people like us. You could cause yourself a ton of harm in doing what you're doing. Figuring out why you do it and how to redirect is important.

Very simple if you continue eating like that you have a good chance of dying! My doctor told me that the few patients she has had that died was because they were eating foods right away and ignoring their instructions to only have liquid!!! You have a greater chance of getting a leak and if it gets into your blood stream it will be life threatning. That s as tough love as you can get!!

What are you thinking???????!?!? :angry: You could die. I would call your doc and fess up so they can talk some sense into you.

Thanks for your words. I called my nurse and she said I should be ok and gave me me things to look out for. Ive thrown out every temptation and am sticking to all liquids. Momentary lapse in judgement! I have an appointment in two days with the doc and we will see what he says

....Kay remember if you get "hungry", it is okay to have your broth, sugar free popcycle etc. It is okay to have them often. If your family is eating around you, maybe just grab your computer and go into a different room so you remove the temptation. I would suspect you will be close to having things like split pea Soup (my favorite during that time), and runny mashed potatoes. Just think of your sleeve like a baby's tummy and what you would feed a baby is certainly not what you were eating.

Best to you.

For two weeks I was on Clear Liquids and didn't start feeling hunger until the 4th week.

Get the crud out of the house. Drink the Protein. I used Isopure for Clear Liquids. It has 40 grams of Protein per bottle. It was hard getting it all down, but you simply have to do it.