Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm So Fearful Of Surgery / Anasthesia!

Hi! I don't have my surgery date yet, hopefully soon. I'm not worried about the pre or post-op struggles (at least not right now). I know it will be ridiculously hard but I'm ready for the challenge.

All I can think about is being put under anasthesia and having a doctor cut into me. I've never had surgery before and I'm sooo scared. I know people go under anasthesia every day but I'm scared of dying.

Was anybody else this fearful? Am I being a total baby!

I'm 30 yrs old. 5'8", 250 lbs. I have a husband and 23 month old little girl. I can't be dying from WLS. I have too much to live for!

All surgery carries a certain amount of risk, but this surgery seems pretty darn safe. It's not open abdominal surgery. It's arthroscopic and what they call minimally invasive.

Before this I have had 2 open abdominal surgeries (myomectomy and c-section) and one knee surgery. Other than the gas they use to inflate your abdomen, it was pretty easy on me. As long as you keep walking and keep sipping those liquids, you will feel better.

Talk to your surgeon. I trusted mine. Talk to God too if you have the inclination :-)

Lol if your being a total baby then I am too. I have been put under before (wisdom teeth), but have never had any other surgery. I am just scared of the anesthesia.

You'll be fine. No biggie. I've been under 3 times, and anesthesia has come a long way. Just ask for nausea meds as soon as you wake up.

Felicity, Talk to your surgeon frankly about your fears. It's his or her job to help you with this issue. Just remember that no surgeon wants a death on his or her record and they will do everything they can to bring you through the surgery safely. As a matter of fact, most surgeons won't operate if they don't believe you'll make it through without major complications.

You have major advantages, too. Lower BMI, youth, and a loving family. Those things make it much more likely that you will fight to survive even if something does happen.

Besides, EVERY one of us has gone through the same thought process and come out of surgery alive. This is a very low risk surgery compared to the ones you will face later if you remain obese. My aunt has had 25 separate surgical procedures because of her weight and complications of obesity. I decided I'd rather have ONE surgery than 25.

Good luck!! :)

Felicity,

I am having the exact same issues.My surgery date is March 19. I have been having nightmares and panic attacks at times. I know this is something I have wanted for a long time, and I mentally know the chances of things going wrong are really low, but just the idea of having this surgery is emotionally exhausting me.

I have the same concerns that I will not handle the pain well or I will find out that I am a big baby. Lol. I am really trying to spend time just coming to terms with all the angles of this surgery. I feel like maybe it is a good thing to go through this phase of uncertainty and fear because it does lead us to think about things on a deeper level.

I just wish I had realized how emotionally draining preparing for this surgery can be. From all the hoops that many of us have to jump through to get our insurance to pay ,to preparing our families and friends, and last but not least ourselves, I must say it is an emotional deal.

I wish you strength and clarity and I look forward to helping each other through this monumental time in our lives.

I have had a few surgeries. The older I get the more I become anxious. Your 'fears' are valid. However, start to think positive thoughts, speak it out loud if you must. Make it apart of your daily activity to speak positive outcomes of the procedure.

I have nausea after anesthesia, so I already know going in to ask for something. Beyond that, I'm still going to combat my axiety surrounding the surgery with something postive, indulging in music or reading, something that will remove my thoughts to drive me to a panic attack.

Thank you so much for these replies, everyone. Not that I'm glad you're all fearful, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I can't believe I'm going to do this but I'm so ready!!

Hi! I don't have my surgery date yet, hopefully soon. I'm not worried about the pre or post-op struggles (at least not right now). I know it will be ridiculously hard but I'm ready for the challenge.

All I can think about is being put under anasthesia and having a doctor cut into me. I've never had surgery before and I'm sooo scared. I know people go under anasthesia every day but I'm scared of dying.

Was anybody else this fearful? Am I being a total baby!

I'm 30 yrs old. 5'8", 250 lbs. I have a husband and 23 month old little girl. I can't be dying from WLS. I have too much to live for!

i have never had surgery either. I'm 31, not marries and no kids. I'm scared too.

Prayer helped me a lot. Talking it out with God really helped ease my fears. I knew deep down that He wasn't going to take me home with all this work He has left for me to do here!

I have had few surgeries and been under anesthesia and always came out okay, but still I have a tiny bit of concern that maybe this time it won't be that way, even though I am pretty sure that it will. I think it is just natural to wonder how things will turn out when someone else has complete control over your body.

I am letting God have each time the thought enters my mind. I have however placed all my important documents in the hands of those that would need them. ^_^

weight.png

My fear is that I will get "put under" but not all the way and be able to feel everything the doctor is doing.

I've been under twice. My biggest issue was the IV needle in my arm (I HAAATE needles), but if you can make it through that, it's like falling asleep and waking right back up (though a lot of time has passed while you were napping :) ). I requested a patch that they put behind your ear before surgery and leave on for 2-3 days for nausea. Had it for both surgeries and didn't have to battle with feeling nauseous. It is perfectly normal to worry on some level about this stuff, but like others have said, if you are religiously/spiritually inclined, or even if you meditate, that can help with the anxiety as well. Hope this helps.

I had those EXACT same fears. Everyone around me kept telling me not to worry, it was fine, blah blah blah. As someone who has never so much as broken a bone before in her life the idea of being put under was terrifying. I can only tell you from my own experience that the anesthesia was wonderful, and kind of cool. They put some stuff into my IV and told me that in 10 minutes I would start to feel sleepy. They wheeled me to the operating room and asked me to move from the bed to the operating table. I remember having to struggle to move because I was SO sleepy. That's the last thing I remember. Next thing I knew I was being woken up by the same anesthesiologist who explained that everything was fine, I was in the hospital, and that I just needed to rest.

I know how you feel but it was absolutely fine. Some of the best sleep I've had. :)

As I explained on a prior post I am a registered nurse. I currently work in the pre op holding area of a fairly large hospital. I have worked in the PACU (recovery room) for most of my 35 years in nursing. In all those years I have personally only witnessed 2 deaths in the PACU. Both patients were extremly high risk.

I do suggest that you discuss your fears with your surgeon and attending anesthesia provider if you really feel strongly and have a real fear you will die.

Realistically you stand a higher chance of getting killed in a car accident on the way to the hospital than you do of dying following WLS.

I do not mean to sound cold or callous, just want to state the facts.