Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie Here - Surgery Date This Friday!

Hi all,

I'm Nikki, and I've been lurking for a little while now, and feel like I should finally take a moment to introduce myself.

My journey to this surgery has been fairly quick, (although not something I hadn't been thinking about for a long time).

I just turned 26 yesterday, and have pretty much been heavy all my life. About 3 years ago, I made some drastic changes in my life that included cutting my, (drug addict), mother out of my life, as well as finally trying to battle my weight.

In the course of a year, I dropped 120 pounds, (went from 320ish to 200). Then I got gallstones. Had to change my diet from balanced and calorie counting, to NO FAT! Haha, it was a bit odd. Had my surgery a few months later, and then managed to keep my weight off until a year ago.

I developed severe anxiety, (that I've probably had all my life, but it became too much - no sleep - erratic behavior), so I went to my PCP and asked for help. Then the SSRI's came into my life...

Over the last year, I've put on almost all of my weight back on that I had lost. No matter what I did, I couldn't seem to stop gaining. Then, an unexpected miscarriage happened in August, and things really went downhill from there. Severe depression, a breakup, the anxiety...it was all just too much, and my diet just didn't seem to matter anymore.

I started therapy, and switched my meds around, and although I've been getting much much better, the weight is just coming on. So I finally made the decision to seek out surgical options.

Initially, I thought I was going to settle for the band. I didn't like the idea of having foreign matter in my body, but I wasn't really ready for the bypass route.

I'm so glad I have a good friend who had the sleeve done back in June, (he's lost 215 pounds since!), and he is an awesome support system, and told me all about the sleeve.

I began the process in the first week of this month. Met with my endocrinologist, my surgeon, my dietician, had my psych eval....and today is my preop, with surgery on FRIDAY! I am overjoyed! I am so glad that I will finally have a tool to help me with this!

I'm fairly well-versed with the nutrional aspect of this all, and having had my gallbladder removed, fairly comfortable with the type of surgery.

I'm scared about having to spend the night in the hospital, but hoping my boyfriend will stay and make it better! Haha

I will be sleeved at Scripps Green in San Diego by Dr. WIlliam Fuller.

I'm trying to tie up all my loose ends at work, and get all my affairs are in order. It's all happening so fast! But I am so excited! I cannot wait to begin living again!

This forum has been an awesome resource! Any and all advice is most welcome! Thank you for letting me be a part of your community! :)

Woooohooo!! Nikki is getting sleeved!!! That's awesome and congrats!! A great decision! Welcome and good luck to you!! Please keep us informed!! I know you will do great! :rolleyes:

Yayyyyy! We have a new club member coming! This is the best decision I have ever made and I wish I could of done it earlier in my life. Welcome and I look forward to hearing how your progressing! Can't wait for your surgery so I can welcome you to the BIG LOSER'S BENCH! ;)

Thank yo ufor deciding to join us! Our strength is in our numbers!

I would offer to stay with you Friday, but Cali is a bit far away!

Thank you for the support! Cannot wait to join you guys on the losers bench soon! Started my liquid diet today. Preop starts at noon! Here we go!

Nikki264,

You have over came a lot in your life and I am sure you will do just great with the sleeve! I live in San Diego as well and I love Dr. Fuller, initially I was going to have my surgery with him but because my insurance is Tricare they denied it and said I had to go thru Balboa military hospital to have my surgery. I love the way they move so quickly at Dr. Fuller's office with getting you prepared for surgery. I met with Dr. fuller back in 09/2011 and would have had my surgery in 11/2011. I was very upset because Balboa has a lot of requirements to meet and they are two months behind on scheduling surgery as they only have one person whom does the scheduling I was so disappointed when I was switched over. But I was finally able to get a surgery date of 02/29 after writing a three page letter to complaint department, how crazy is that. Good Luck and keep me posted maybe we could become walking buddies since our surgery dates are only two days apart.

Pashion,

I would love to be walking buddies! I'm sorry to hear about the hurdles you had to go through, but yay for finally having this day come! Dr. Fuller is awesome! I've had a surgical clip bothering me ever since my gallbladder removal, and Dr. Fuller quickly found the problem, and said he would fix it, easy peasy! So excited about that too! Haha

Good luck with your surgery! PM me and we can trade info if you'd like...it would be nice to have even a texting buddy while we're in the hospital/and recovering! :)

You can do it! Only you have the power to create the happiness in which you live,

I was in your shoes just 10 months ago and my whole life has changed,

As long as you realize the healing starts within,,and the sleeve is just a tool to assist you

in reprogramming the way you eat,,,you will shine, If I can be of any assistance let me know,,,I live right by Scripps Green and

am always down to help anyone on their JOurney Back to Self..wish u the best

Thank you, Jay! It's nice to have this place, as I'm not really one for the group-type meetings. Thanks so much to everyone for their support. You guys are awesome! :)

Best wishes you'll be thrilled! So happy for you.

Congrats and welcome! I am so glad you are choosing the sleeve. It is awesome! Best wishes and just know we are always here for you.

Best wishes! It's really awesome that Dr. Fuller is moving so quickly. Good luck and give us a surgery update.

Welcome to the club... The sleeve was the best thing I have done for myself. A lot of support on this site! Keep us posted on your progress!

Hi Nikki

I'm also getting my sleeve on Friday. Best to you.

LLL