Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Birth Control After Surgery

Hi everyone I am curious to ask what birth control are you presently on after your surgery. I have been on the Mirena for 6 months and I think it could be the cause for gaining so much weight. I would love to know how important is a period once you have this surgery and will it effect my process of losing weight. Has anyone change for the Mirena to the Paragud or vice versa. I had ask a GYN doctor and she mention the amount of hormones that are on the IUD is not that bad. Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer .

Yeah, it's a pretty small amount of hormones, plus it's also local hormones, not systemic (as with a pill), so it's not likely to cause a ton of weight gain. Paragard tends to cause very heavy periods, so I don't know if you'd be happy with it. I'm on the pill, anyway.

I had to have my Mirena removed post op because I couldn't lose weight with it in! I went back to the nuva ring because Paraguard was not an option for me. I use birth control for endometriosis not because I want to prevent pregnancy and the periods on Paraguard are supposed to be very heavy. Now that I'm at goal I'd put Mirena back in a heartbeat. I didn't gain on it, though. I just couldn't lose anything. It did make me irritable and I'm pretty sure it was related to some of my hair loss but that's a small price to pay for no monthly agony due to the endo. Meh. There are trade-offs in everything.

There are a few threads on birth control in the powder Room board that might have info that will help you. A number of us experience issues post op with any form of birth control. I know that a number of ladies say they have hormonal issues after surgery for a while. I've heard theories about it being caused by hormones stored in fat cells but who knows? All I can say is I'd be very choosy with my birth control and I'd choose the absolute lowest possible amount of hormones I feel could get the job done.

Good luck. Maybe leave it in and see how your loss goes post op before making a change?

~Cheri

I had to have my Mirena removed post op because I couldn't lose weight with it in! I went back to the nuva ring because Paraguard was not an option for me. I use birth control for endometriosis not because I want to prevent pregnancy and the periods on Paraguard are supposed to be very heavy. Now that I'm at goal I'd put Mirena back in a heartbeat. I didn't gain on it' date=' though. I just couldn't lose anything. It did make me irritable and I'm pretty sure it was related to some of my hair loss but that's a small price to pay for no monthly agony due to the endo. Meh. There are trade-offs in everything.

There are a few threads on birth control in the powder Room board that might have info that will help you. A number of us experience issues post op with any form of birth control. I know that a number of ladies say they have hormonal issues after surgery for a while. I've heard theories about it being caused by hormones stored in fat cells but who knows? All I can say is I'd be very choosy with my birth control and I'd choose the absolute lowest possible amount of hormones I feel could get the job done.

Good luck. Maybe leave it in and see how your loss goes post op before making a change?

~Cheri[/quote']

Thank you for sharing your story with me. So do you recommend I get the mirena remove before or after the surgery. If you don't mind me asking why wasn't the Paragud for you

Thanks for this topic!!!! I currently have a Mirena and I do use it for birth control. My surgeon said it doesn't need to be removed prior to VSG, like other BCPs have to be stopped. He told me that I will be fertile after surgery but I don't want the Mirena to stall my weight loss because I have lot of weight to lose (250lbs!!).

I been put in the pill for a month now,so far so good. I don't think I can have an IUD since you have to make sure the string still there. The pill won't cause to gain weight and is helping me with my skin yay

Liliana, what pill are you on?

I am currently on Depo shot and am looking to switch. I know it makes me crave fructose and glucose so I find myself milling towards sugar! I love the convenience of it but don't want it to add to a stall. I was also looking into the implant.

Thank you for sharing your story with me. So do you recommend I get the mirena remove before or after the surgery. If you don't mind me asking why wasn't the Paragud for you

Sorry, just saw this! I use birth control not to avoid pregnancy but because I have severe endometriosis. To put it bluntly, each monthly cycle was like giving unmedicated birth - back labor, cramps, vomiting and all. It was horrible! Actually birthing children was less painful than my monthly cycle. The Mirena immediately reduced the severity of my periods and after two months, stopped them almost entirely. And for whatever reason, once I had it removed the bad periods haven't come back, even though I used to experience them on Nuva Ring. The way I use birth control is to avoid periods - I go back to back on Nuva Rings to avoid a cycle. I still have short one it's just not debilitating like it would be otherwise.

So in my case, Paraguard is a definite no-go. It's a great form of birth control but doesn't release the hormones that I need to help my particular issue. It is actually known to worsen periods, something I definitely don't need.

If you're not having trouble losing weight with Mirena in now, you might wait until after surgery to have it removed. Now that I'm at goal I'd definitely put it back in but I did have a few other side effects and I'm not sure if they were the surgery or the Mirena, so I'll probably wait a bit before making a change again.

Good luck in any case!

~Cheri

Sorry' date=' just saw this! I use birth control not to avoid pregnancy but because I have severe endometriosis. To put it bluntly, each monthly cycle was like giving unmedicated birth - back labor, cramps, vomiting and all. It was horrible! Actually birthing children was less painful than my monthly cycle. The Mirena immediately reduced the severity of my periods and after two months, stopped them almost entirely. And for whatever reason, once I had it removed the bad periods haven't come back, even though I used to experience them on Nuva Ring. The way I use birth control is to avoid periods - I go back to back on Nuva Rings to avoid a cycle. I still have short one it's just not debilitating like it would be otherwise.

So in my case, Paraguard is a definite no-go. It's a great form of birth control but doesn't release the hormones that I need to help my particular issue. It is actually known to worsen periods, something I definitely don't need.

If you're not having trouble losing weight with Mirena in now, you might wait until after surgery to have it removed. Now that I'm at goal I'd definitely put it back in but I did have a few other side effects and I'm not sure if they were the surgery or the Mirena, so I'll probably wait a bit before making a change again.

Good luck in any case!

~Cheri[/quote']

Thank you for your input and I will look into maybe getting it removed once I have my surgery. Does anyone know how important it Is to have your period once a month? Does it effect your weight loss?

I started my journey with Mirena, didn't notice any difference in my weight loss, but just to be sure since my insurance covered the switch I got Paraguard. My period isn't really that heavy and cramps are about the same as before. Soon as I reach goal though, I am going back to Mirena. I love that BC. My period was nonexistent.

I started my journey with Mirena' date=' didn't notice any difference in my weight loss, but just to be sure since my insurance covered the switch I got Paraguard. My period isn't really that heavy and cramps are about the same as before. Soon as I reach goal though, I am going back to Mirena. I love that BC. My period was nonexistent.[/quote']

Did you switch before or after your surgery and if after how long after?

I switched two months after surgery. I don't think switching changed my weight loss in anyway, but I wanted to be sure.

Is anyone taking the pill? I'm currently taking mercilon. My surgeon said it's ok, but I'm wonder if it has any connection with stalling weight loss.

I am on the pill. I plan on stopping it when I start the pre op liquid diet. Its the most gentle dose on the market and it still makes me severely nauseous even when I take it with a full meal so I cannot imagine being on it with little food intake. I am trying to convince hubby to go get snippidy snipped but so far, its a no go...LOL ...we aren't having any more kids though so we will keep doing what's necessary aside from me having to take anything to prevent it. We are religious about being careful. I have heard too many stories about the hormones in various forms of birth control causing issues for some people after surgery. Most of the stories I have heard are from people like me who are super sensitive to any birth control. Most regular folk seem to do just fine!